Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Come on Gus. It's all becoming far to predictable.....

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Did nobody notice when we took a risk and went with 2 wingers and 2 in CM things started to get more even in the middle where we were previously bossing it all game? It's an obvious catch 22 situation people - bit like the 2 strikers debate... Leave it to Gus, he def knows best.

Also people need to realise just how hard it is to break down a brick wall in the middle of the park. Last yr was bad enough when teams like Brentford came and did it. When it's a top Champs side with real quality it becomes very VERY hard.

Football eh.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Surely our tactic is to keep the ball for 70 mins making the opposition run around a lot, then unleash our quick players once they tire? We're doing alright this season, why try and fix something that isn't broken?

D

Deleted member 2719

I'm sure there are far more eloquent responses to that utter puddle of wet horseshit, but I'll respond with a short 'f*** off, you ignorant prat', principally because you don't deserve any better.

Come back when you know what you're on about.

Quite the original keyboard warrior TLO, i could respond with BAN the f*cker, but why would i?

Maybe because a bit of banter and debating is fine but calling names could be deemed to be offensive, thank god i don't really care what you think of me and my opinions.

Are you one of these new fangled shock jocks?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Quite the original keyboard warrior TLO, i could respond with BAN the f*cker, but why would i?

Because it would be totally pointless.

Maybe because a bit of banter and debating is fine but calling names could be deemed to be offensive...

No 'could be' about it. You insult me, I insult you back.

... thank god i don't really care what you think of me and my opinions.

Of course you don't. That's why you responded isn't it? :facepalm:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I just cannot for the life of me grasp why Gus chooses never to pair CMS and Vokes? Surely it's only a matter of time? As soon as the subs got off you just knew what was about to happen. Some plonker told me I was wrong and the subs would change the game. Did they really? We went 2-1 after the changes but yes we did manage to score two goals which the previous set up had failed to do. Yet time and time again, this isnt the fault of CMS who is sacrificed for a target man each and every game we are not ahead.

In my opinion we have a number of things wrong. The ball ends up with Gordon Greer far too often. He is not exactly the creative genius we are after and constantly misses out on CMS runs across the defence. When chasing a game there is also no reason for Alan Navarro to be on the pitch. Yes he does an excellent job patrolling the pitch, narrowing opposition space and keeping us ticking over but, he fails to pass a football anywhere other than sideways. When you throw on two wingers and have two strikers in Vokes and Barnes making runs or calling for the ball, surely you leave Razak on to do this?

I agree that Gus should stop worrying about how the opposition can hurt us, especially when playing at home. This is perfectly summarised by the continual positioning of Barnes in a sort of defensive wing position. What in god's name is the point? Please someone tell me? ALL Barnes can do is SCORE GOALS. He is bloody brilliant at doing so. Every time he does he isnt cutting in from midfield he has wondered from his position on the left or right and played more central and nicked a goal. Like a good STRIKER. I just do not get it but hey, it's worked so I cant complain. Just in games like last night were we are crying out for an impact player, Gus seems unable to change.
Great post!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
You want to change it!?
Did you not notice the fact that we absolutely DICKED all over Cardiff in the first half and made them look like amateurs? On another day we would have been at least a few up by half time.
What other day? We DICKED all over Cardiff, because Cardiff sat back and we had no way through them. How many proper chances did we create? One excellent save from their keeper from CMS from a miss hit shot that found its way into CMS path, and one shot from a clever free kick that hit a post. We hardly DICKED all over them. Cardiff we more than happy for us to pass it aound the back. It suited them fine. The only team we have really DICKED this seaon is Ipswich, and that took a couple of excellent goal line clearences.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Did nobody notice when we took a risk and went with 2 wingers and 2 in CM things started to get more even in the middle where we were previously bossing it all game? It's an obvious catch 22 situation people - bit like the 2 strikers debate... Leave it to Gus, he def knows best.

Also people need to realise just how hard it is to break down a brick wall in the middle of the park. Last yr was bad enough when teams like Brentford came and did it. When it's a top Champs side with real quality it becomes very VERY hard.

Football eh.
But when you go with two wingers, its bound to open things up more in the middle. I don't see the point of us bossing the whole first half against Cardiff, and going in 0-0. if we had used the wings, ie with two wingers, Cardiff wouldn't have lived with us. We were never going to break them down by congesting the centre of the pitch, it played right into their hands.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Surely our tactic is to keep the ball for 70 mins making the opposition run around a lot, then unleash our quick players once they tire? We're doing alright this season, why try and fix something that isn't broken?

Well if that's Gus' master plan, i think we can stop worrying about a Premiership club poaching him from us!! :lol:

City

Feb 17, 2012
Manchester City FC
He's got to look at getting a couple more foreign players with connections to Barcelona. Or Real Madrid or AC Milan.

Then put long-termers like el-Abd and Bridcutt on the BENCH.
That'll MOTIVATE them.
I'm sorry, but footballers are professionals. It is a job. Only this. They are paid to do the job the best they can. There is no sane player that doesn't try. I doubt motivation will be a problem because surely, the players understand that this is football.

Good (and fair) competition tends to bring the best out of a squad, by the way. Footballers by their very nature tend to be competitive, they wouldn't have made it this far if not.

Last edited:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
The obvious answer is drop a central midfielder for a winger and play Barnes more central, could help us control the midfield would allow Ash to link up with CMS and would have Buckley and Lua Lua wide.

Ash does most of his better work late on when pushed inside so a withdrawn central role would probably suit him better than the role he often plays on the left

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
But when you go with two wingers, its bound to open things up more in the middle. I don't see the point of us bossing the whole first half against Cardiff, and going in 0-0. if we had used the wings, ie with two wingers, Cardiff wouldn't have lived with us. We were never going to break them down by congesting the centre of the pitch, it played right into their hands.

Did you see the save from CMS? Did you are the ball hit the post? On another day - eg Ipswich - we'd have been two up at half time. We didn't break them down, but saying we "never" would is just simplistic.

Sent from my field radio

D

Deleted member 2719

Because it would be totally pointless.

No 'could be' about it. You insult me, I insult you back.

Of course you don't. That's why you responded isn't it? :facepalm:

So i said you have your tongue down anybody's backside to do with the club, you could just respond with you wrong but do i give a shit.

"f*** off, you ignorant prat" is a bit over the top probably the most disrespectful thing you could say to anyone,thank god you never said it to my face as i might just give you a great big smacker.:kiss:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So predictable we haven't been beaten since New Years Eve.

Just what I was thinking as I scrolled down the thread!

Adkins, McInnes, Pardew, Grayson, Ferguson, Pearson - their team talks and tactics made all the easier by Brighton's predictability!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I recall reading that you are still at school. So I'll ignore such a patently ridiculous and frankly offensive comment. You silly child.

Sent from my field radio
Whoooooooooooa there (cowboy).....now there are certainly little nuances which I have glossed over with my 'Gus 101' but strip away all the fluff and that is what we do......we aim to keep the ball, work the opposition then unleash the fresh legs on 70 minutes. It works.

Further to this, of the 49 goals we've scored this season 10 have been scored by substitutes.......one in five.......I don't know how that compares with other sides ( [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] will know) but I bet its one of the highest ratio's.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here