Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Come on Gus. It's all becoming far to predictable.....

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Whoooooooooooa there (cowboy).....now there are certainly little nuances which I have glossed over with my 'Gus 101' but strip away all the fluff and that is what we do......we aim to keep the ball, work the opposition then unleash the fresh legs on 70 minutes. It works.

Further to this, of the 49 goals we've scored this season 10 have been scored by substitutes.......one in five.......I don't know how that compares with other sides ( [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] will know) but I bet its one of the highest ratio's.

Three subs simultaneously on Wed would suggest a change in approach. Some games we have played very direct when needed (Ipswich was certainly a different structure than other games). Of course Gus plays to the same principles of keeping the ball, but he has a Plan B and other variants. I dislike the glib "no plan b" jibe - it's not constructive or helpful IMHO.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Did nobody notice when we took a risk and went with 2 wingers and 2 in CM things started to get more even in the middle where we were previously bossing it all game? It's an obvious catch 22 situation people - bit like the 2 strikers debate... Leave it to Gus, he def knows best.

Spot on. We were controlling the game early on, second half it was a BIG risk. Gus knows what he's doing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
But when you go with two wingers, its bound to open things up more in the middle. I don't see the point of us bossing the whole first half against Cardiff, and going in 0-0. if we had used the wings, ie with two wingers, Cardiff wouldn't have lived with us. We were never going to break them down by congesting the centre of the pitch, it played right into their hands.

We hit the post and missed a sitter. I don't think either of those things were in Cardiff's "plan", do you? We had the better of the first half, no question, and on another day could've easily been 1 or 2 up.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Three subs simultaneously on Wed would suggest a change in approach. Some games we have played very direct when needed (Ipswich was certainly a different structure than other games). Of course Gus plays to the same principles of keeping the ball, but he has a Plan B and other variants. I dislike the glib "no plan b" jibe - it's not constructive or helpful IMHO.
The three subs against Cardiff was a good example of the tactic, fresh legs (all be it at 60 rather than 70 minutes) to run at the tiring Bluebirds. We play the same game home and away, granted we use different players but the principle is basically always the same, its why we score so many late goals.

Who needs a plan b when plan a works so well?

edit: I wish I was still at school :down:

Last edited:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Oh come on, you must be trying it on now. We completely controlled the first half. Cardiff did not get a look in.

We hit the post and missed a sitter. I don't think either of those things were in Cardiff's "plan", do you? We had the better of the first half, no question, and on another day could've easily been 1 or 2 up.

We did control the first half, because Cardiff sat back and let us. We didn't control the second half, because Cardiff had done the job they came to do in the first half, and then came at us more in the second.

We hardly missed a sitter. It fell kindly to CMS from a miss hit shot I think from Reyes and the keeper made a excellent 50/50 block. I'll grant you we hit the post, but that did not come from open play, rather an excellent free kick when Reyes was not picked up by Cardiff as he should have been.

Come on seriosuly, making three subs the second we went behind was a sign of panic, it's not a tactic. We could have played all night and not scored except for a mistake or luck until Gus made the change. If Gus' master plan is go one down or keep pinching last minute goals, it's hardly one of genius, and I'm sure that is not his plan. If it is, maybe he should let us know, so we can stay in the concourse and have a drink and chat amongst ourselves during the first half.

Last edited:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
And as I said on the other thread.

No point. Post a poll tonight, and everyone will love him. Post a poll after he's had a stinker and not scored, and everyone will hate him. Too many people opinions on here change game by game, not just Barnes, but with Navs and Brez as well.

100% this.

Navs and Barnes are absolutely class.

Brez is a very good keeper. Everyone saying "CATCH IT FFS RAGE BABABDHFDLA" for the second hasn't seen the reply. Would love to have seen most keepers catch that - it would have been outstanding given one Albion and one Cardiff player are right in the path he would have to take...

Upper Library

Feb 25, 2011
Worthing
We did control the first half, because Cardiff sat back and let us. We didn't control the second half, because Cardiff had done the job they came to do in the first half, and then came at us more in the second.

We hardly missed a sitter. It fell kindly to CMS from a miss hit shot I think from Reyes and the keeper made a excellent 50/50 block. I'll grant you we hit the post, but that did not come from open play, rather an excellent free kick when Reyes was not picked up by Cardiff as he should have been.

Come on seriosuly, making three subs the second we went behind was a sign of panic, it's not a tactic. We could have played all night and not scored except for a mistake or luck until Gus made the change. If Gus' master plan is go one down or keep pinching last minute goals, it's hardly one of genius, and I'm sure that is not his plan. If it is, maybe he should let us know, so we can stay in the concourse and have a drink and chat amongst ourselves during the first half.

Really? I get the feeling that no matter how far we progress you will always only focus on perceived negatives. At the final whisltle i wasn't sure how i really felt about the result but on reflection I really believe that the cardiff game showed that we have arrived for the following reasons:
Cardiff parked the bus
It almost worked for them but we had the right options to stop them
I have been watching the Albion for 33 years and have never ever ever ever (please note the use of 3 evers!!) been more confident in our team's ability to influence the final result. I just knew we would equalise on wednesday night.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Whoooooooooooa there (cowboy).....now there are certainly little nuances which I have glossed over with my 'Gus 101' but strip away all the fluff and that is what we do......we aim to keep the ball, work the opposition then unleash the fresh legs on 70 minutes. It works.

Further to this, of the 49 goals we've scored this season 10 have been scored by substitutes.......one in five.......I don't know how that compares with other sides ( [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] will know) but I bet its one of the highest ratio's.
12 of 51...goal times 76 and 91 mins.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Oh, look at that. Play two wingers and we don't draw. We tore them apart in the first 20 minutes, then the winger seemed to tuck in more central and the 2nd half of the 1st half was a bore fest.

Barnes seemed to have a different role today, playing more central but too far behind Vokes.

Lua Lua on one side, Vicente on the other. Yes please.

CMS up top with Vokes or Barnes... pretty please

Mulderbauer

Feb 23, 2009
oooh Poyet obviously had a look at my formation..... :)

I absolutely agree with everything you said Mr Burns.... Poyet has bought these players in - Noone, Buckley, Lua Lau which is a masterstroke and all on fire but he doesnt play them....Dont get it!

If a team sits back and puts 10 behind the ball you need width and pace, go figure we played our best football when he bought 2 wingers on... the whole crowd knew it...

Assulin is quality but from watching him in the last 3 matches I knew he wasnt going to rip down the wing and scare their defenders...he would be great at the top of a diamond.

Heres my team

Brezovan

Reyes El Abd Greer Mattock

Buckley Razak Bridcutt Noone

Assulin/Barnes

CMS

Seek and frigging destroy, that is one awesome team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here