Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coffee snobs, no!

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Just been in a cafe and overheard a right bunch of plonkers (pseduo-intellectuals in their early twenties) on a nearby table slagging off the perfectly fine coffee and prattling on about how they 'are simply unable to drink' the stuff served in some other place, 'it makes you wanna puke' etc. Wankers.

If I were a brave man, I would have said 'oh shut the f*** up' etc., as it was I just got up and left.

Needed to get that off my chest.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
was it a Costa or a Starbucks or some other mass production "quality" coffee emporium?

Last edited:

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
was it a Costa or a Starbucks or some other mass production "quality" coffee eporium?

No, just some nice little independent place near the university here in Cape Town that serves normal sized portions of coffee in normal cups and you don't have to answer about 500 questions in order to place your order.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Good work Jonno, that's what this place is for. They do indeed sound like a bunch of pretentious bell ends.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I must admit, if I just want a cup of drinkable coffee and surroundings don't matter I am happy with a takeaway from McDonalds but if I want to sit and relax and enjoy any sort of ambience that sounds just the sort of place I would choose. They usually have to be pretty okay to survive.

Snobs as you say

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Just been in a cafe and overheard a right bunch of plonkers (pseduo-intellectuals in their early twenties) on a nearby table slagging off the perfectly fine coffee and prattling on about how they 'are simply unable to drink' the stuff served in some other place, 'it makes you wanna puke' etc. Wankers.

If I were a brave man, I would have said 'oh shut the f*** up' etc., as it was I just got up and left.

Needed to get that off my chest.

If you have ever drunk a decent cup of coffee abroad, trust me they stuff they serve in some of these chains is complete and utter rank.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Those are the sort of wanky new brightonians that you see infesting our once glorious town. Bet they had names like Cecil and Tarquin.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm a bit of a coffee snob, has to be pretty bad for me to be like that though! Usually prefer Costa over Starbucks though!

Hasbean.co.uk for any that like fresh beans in their home, normally get stuff that has been roasted within 48 hours when I order! Tasty stuff

001.jpg

answer to your prayers

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
"Can I GET a skinny decaf latte with soya, blah blah, TO GO"

Aaaaaaagh, f*** off!!!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Those are the sort of wanky new brightonians that you see infesting our once glorious town. Bet they had names like Cecil and Tarquin.

While I know what you mean, has anyone ever met anyone called Cecil or Tarquin?

While I'm sure that will find them in coffee places, I distinguish them by their inability to pronounce Old Steine and their talk of a place called South Lanes. I bet they're the sort of people who order coffee by saying "Can I get..."

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Was it Tarquin Fim Tim Lim Bim Wim Bim Lim Bus Stop Fatang Fatang Olé Biscuit Barrel

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
can totally understand everyones annoyence...i mean, what happend to th glory days of getting a black coffee, and topping up the milk yourself with fresh milk from a little jug, none of that packaged shit where u need like 10 for the coffee to even change colour

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Don't drink coffee myself but once offered to pick up a starbucks for a colleague one day - talk about iwish i hadn't i wasted most of my lunchbreak in the bloody queue - It's amazing how long it takes to make these sodding new wave coffes.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I'm a coffee snob (and a pseudo-intellectual bell-end no doubt). It's the only foodstuff I get really picky about. So many places like Starbucks serve up complete crap and it's irritating. If you have to go to a chain then Nero's is the one.

But there's no need to get involved in all the decaff, skinny, twist nonsense. Coffee's either good or not.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
sorry, but ppl wanting soya instead of cows breast milk is not something to be mocked.

once u have had coffee in central america and italy you end up knowing the difference.

me, i dont drink it....well maybe the odd decaff.

does this make me a snob, no.....but it also doesnt make me the type who graps " any old cuppa coffee and geet it daaan ya."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here