Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coffee snobs, no!

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I come down somewhere in the middle of this one - especially because I've worked on and off in a coffee shop in HH for nearly four years and have seen lots of peoples coffee habits. I don't actually mind a bit of coffee 'snobbery', because being a bit selective is better than drinking a lot of the crap that gets served, but usually the snobs are ones who have set ideas about where's good, and what types of coffee are good, without actually tasting the drink!

The things about people and their coffee I hate the most are:
a) people who think that somehow only countries like Italy or France can make good coffee. Some of the best coffee I've ever had was in Spain, and America's filter coffee is really good. It might sound unimportant, but I think a lot of coffee snobbery comes from the idea that a plain filter coffee is somehow inferior.
b) people who like to spout lots about coffee but actually won't drink it unless it's full of chocolate or syrups.
c) people who drink soya coffees because they either think it's fashionable or because it's lower fat than milk

I don't actually think Starbucks is as bad as some people make out. The main problem is their coffee is weak, but all you have to do is ask for an extra shot (which unlike most places is set at around the price it probably costs them - 15p - which means their not profiteering on your individual taste) and it can be quite good. Plus, the fact that they serve decent filter coffee is a massive bonus - Americano as a substitute for black filter coffee can be a bit weak.

Anyway, the MOST annoying people of all are those that pronounce espresso or EXpresso, or those that make a point of making comments like "you can't just get a plain cup of coffee anymore can you?", which presumably means they can't possibly fathom what a "Filter Coffee" is because all they drink is shitty instant stuff. Which probably makes me a snob.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Has anyone here ever tried Civet Coffee, where the beans are passed through the intestines of an Asian Palm Civet before roasting? (I haven't tried it myself, by the way...)

Supposed to temper the bitterness apparently. Many 'Tarquin' coffee snobs will tell you it's the best coffee in the world.

I just wondered if there was any truth in this claim, or whether it's all hype to keep the prices up.

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
Has anyone here ever tried Civet Coffee, where the beans are passed through the intestines of an Asian Palm Civet before roasting? (I haven't tried it myself, by the way...)

Supposed to temper the bitterness apparently. Many 'Tarquin' coffee snobs will tell you it's the best coffee in the world.

I just wondered if there was any truth in this claim, or whether it's all hype to keep the prices up.

A friend of mine brought me a pack of this back from Vietnam recently . It was noticeably different from any other coffe I've tasted : very smooth and chocalate-tasting.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Coffee is for bellends who can't hack a nice big mug of tea, the only exception are the words "Nescafe" and "Instant"

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Only use one of these at home, never touch instant if I can avoid it...........

Attachments

• bialetti-moka-express-9-cup-espresso-maker-06801.jpg
    bialetti-moka-express-9-cup-espresso-maker-06801.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 79

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Personally, I would not want to limit my snobbery to just coffee.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Quite right.

Beer - real ale
Burgers - home-made
Bread - home-baked
Felafel - home-made
Curry - blend and dry-fry your own spices
Custard - home-made
Jam - home-made
Wine - nothing under £10
etc.

I made some home-made burgers a long while back. It's amazing how little you cost and effort you need to expend to get a burger which totally pisses over anything else you can find shop bought or in a restautant. Slap a bit of roquefort and two slices of streaky bacon on it, plonk it in a nice rustic roll and you're in heaven.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A friend of mine brought me a pack of this back from Vietnam recently . It was noticeably different from any other coffe I've tasted : very smooth and chocalate-tasting.

I brought some coffee back from Cuba and it had 'picked by genuine Cuban peasants' on the side. Is Cuba awash with faux-peasants?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I come down somewhere in the middle of this one - especially because I've worked on and off in a coffee shop in HH for nearly four years and have seen lots of peoples coffee habits. I don't actually mind a bit of coffee 'snobbery', because being a bit selective is better than drinking a lot of the crap that gets served, but usually the snobs are ones who have set ideas about where's good, and what types of coffee are good, without actually tasting the drink!

The things about people and their coffee I hate the most are:
a) people who think that somehow only countries like Italy or France can make good coffee. Some of the best coffee I've ever had was in Spain, and America's filter coffee is really good. It might sound unimportant, but I think a lot of coffee snobbery comes from the idea that a plain filter coffee is somehow inferior.
b) people who like to spout lots about coffee but actually won't drink it unless it's full of chocolate or syrups.
c) people who drink soya coffees because they either think it's fashionable or because it's lower fat than milk

I don't actually think Starbucks is as bad as some people make out. The main problem is their coffee is weak, but all you have to do is ask for an extra shot (which unlike most places is set at around the price it probably costs them - 15p - which means their not profiteering on your individual taste) and it can be quite good. Plus, the fact that they serve decent filter coffee is a massive bonus - Americano as a substitute for black filter coffee can be a bit weak.

Anyway, the MOST annoying people of all are those that pronounce espresso or EXpresso, or those that make a point of making comments like "you can't just get a plain cup of coffee anymore can you?", which presumably means they can't possibly fathom what a "Filter Coffee" is because all they drink is shitty instant stuff. Which probably makes me a snob.

I have given up on Starbucks. They ran a nationwide ad many years ago stating you could have any coffee you wanted in a Fairtrade version. I gave this a whirl and ended up having a lot of arguements with staff, sometimes I got my coffee, sometimes I didnt. One guy asked me if I wanted to wait 10-15 minutes while he went a got some Fairtrade coffee and personally filtered it for me (I was in Harlow and I do not think they know what Fairtrade is). I said yes, quite firmly, then he asked me if I was serious...and a discussion about whether I was serious ensued for a good 5 minutes. I stood my ground and got my coffee..eventually. This was the last time though.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I made some home-made burgers a long while back. It's amazing how little you cost and effort you need to expend to get a burger which totally pisses over anything else you can find shop bought or in a restautant. Slap a bit of roquefort and two slices of streaky bacon on it, plonk it in a nice rustic roll and you're in heaven.

I can't think of a shop-bought burger worth buying.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
No wine under £10 is ridiculous, plenty of good stuff (especially white) for much less than that.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Personally I like a strong tasting coffee and find that Café Nero or Coffee Republic are tops and i prefer to use a branch that does not have a person interviewing somebody for a job, this is a cheap option to having an office and happens increasingly, I would not want to work for any firm that uses this method of recruiting staff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here