Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club Chaplain???

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Just seen this question on Ask The Club:-

Club chaplain
"Do we have one? Has the Albion ever had one? Are there any plans to have one in time for Falmer? Plenty of clubs have one, from Man Utd downwards, and find they have a useful role to play. Be interested to hear your thoughts."

I'm sure we'd all love to know more about that "useful role". Ah, so THAT must be how Man United beat the Chelsea heathens to the premiership title yet again.

Besides, how on earth would the Albion choose which flavour of God's messenger to wear the stripes? Could be quite a scramble of sky pilots, given the international nature of the squad. Perhaps the chaplain would be asked to switch raiments every week, to accommodate every brand of delusion. And just bugger off every fourth week, to cater for the atheists.

Surely, any club employees wanting to consult their imaginary friend have every opportunity to do that through the usual channels, no?

And while we're about it, why have we never had a Club Jester? Club Water Diviner? Club Feng Shui consultant? For heaven's sake, I think we should be told.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Just seen this question on Ask The Club:-

Club chaplain
"Do we have one? Has the Albion ever had one? Are there any plans to have one in time for Falmer? Plenty of clubs have one, from Man Utd downwards, and find they have a useful role to play. Be interested to hear your thoughts."

I'm sure we'd all love to know more about that "useful role". Ah, so THAT must be how Man United beat the Chelsea heathens to the premiership title yet again.

Besides, how on earth would the Albion choose which flavour of God's messenger to wear the stripes? Could be quite a scramble of sky pilots, given the international nature of the squad. Perhaps the chaplain would be asked to switch raiments every week, to accommodate every brand of delusion. And just bugger off every fourth week, to cater for the atheists.

Surely, any club employees wanting to consult their imaginary friend have every opportunity to do that through the usual channels, no?

And while we're about it, why have we never had a Club Jester? Club Water Diviner? Club Feng Shui consultant? For heaven's sake, I think we should be told.

Have you always been a bigot or is it something new?

Mr Apples

Jack Scrumpy
Aug 9, 2007
In The Orchard
The chaplain was Canon John Hester who was at St.Peters. I think he died a couple of years ago.

I think we were one of the first clubs to have a chaplain.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Its maybe actually a good idea to have one should it be possible to get married in the centre spot, or have your ashes sprinkled or even you childs christening in the team bath

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I asked the question because a lot of clubs take the welfare of players and staff seriously, and one answer that some clubs have found helpful (around 70 in England) has been to appoint a club chaplain.

It's generally a voluntary role and enables the chaplain to be available to anyone who wants to talk to him.

SCORE Sports Chaplaincy are the largest organisation working to provide chaplains, and the role of a club chaplain has been endorsed by people from the Football Association, the Professional Footballers Association, the League Managers' Association as well as a wide range of managers, coaches, players and others.

If we're serious as a club in progressing as far as we can, I'd say it's worth looking at anything that might help.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Come on, you can do better than that, surely! Give up on the ad hominem stuff, Vicar, and stick to the argument!

Pray tell us, what are the benefits, in our multicultural, 21st Century, of a "Club Chaplain"? And how would that work, exactly?

I would have thought that was perfectly obvious. Not everyone is as ignorant of their spiritual side as you plainly are. Frankly it is stupid of you not to realize that some of the players and staff may have spiritual matters they would like help with. The benefit and practice would be just as they are in hospitals these days, or at the scene of major disasters. A well-trained chaplain is knowledgable and respectful of all mainstream faiths. I can't believe you can come out with such a load of junk about something you profess to know nothing about.

I venture to suggest that your ignorance and intolerance is exactly the kind of attitude that results in gassings in concentration camps. You wonder how human beings can do something like that to others? They start with the kind of attitude that you displayed in your opening post - a total lack of respect.

The Sock of Poskett

Jun 12, 2009
It's also worth adding that there are 34 Premiership and Championship clubs with chaplains - can't imagine they'd be bothering if there weren't clear, tangible benefits involved for the club, its players, staff and supporters.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
The Rothmans year books have devoted a page to the chaplains since the mid 1980s and last years can be found on page 1008 where there is also a two line obituary to Canon John Hestor who died in February 2008 aged 80 and was chaplain at the Albion from 1975-97.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I would have thought that was perfectly obvious. Not everyone is as ignorant of their spiritual side as you plainly are. Frankly it is stupid of you not to realize that some of the players and staff may have spiritual matters they would like help with. The benefit and practice would be just as they are in hospitals these days, or at the scene of major disasters. A well-trained chaplain is knowledgable and respectful of all mainstream faiths. I can't believe you can come out with such a load of junk about something you profess to know nothing about.

I venture to suggest that your ignorance and intolerance is exactly the kind of attitude that results in gassings in concentration camps. You wonder how human beings can do something like that to others? They start with the kind of attitude that you displayed in your opening post - a total lack of respect.

Way to go, Reverend! No turning the other cheek for you, then! I'm sure your flock would be mightily impressed with that intemperate, un-Christian diatribe. And thanks for that gratuitous concentration camp reference too -- nice touch, Herr Goebbels himself would be proud.

However, the basic points remain unanswered. You talk vaguely of the benefits of chaplains, as in hospitals. Those would be the hospital chaplains funded by British taxpayers, to the tune of £32 million a year, yes? So why are they not funded by the church? If they were, the NHS could then afford to provide another 1300 nurses.

But getting back to footballers, who are not in hospital, except maybe when they're injured. They are perfectly able to go and visit their preferred religious practitioner on their own. Without embarrassment, without their mates knowing.

Your logic would appear to argue for chaplains being available on tap, in every workplace. Now wouldn't that do wonders for a stagnant industry where congregations are dwindling rapidly, and where any new sources of employment for redundant vicars would be most welcome.

Contrary to your presumption, I have no problem with people exploring their imagined "spiritual side", but believers in things supernatural -- whether in gods, goblins or Gaia - cannot automatically demand instant respect from everybody else. Religion belongs in the private sphere, and we'd all be far better off if it stayed there.

The Sock of Poskett

Jun 12, 2009
As I mentioned previously, most chaplains are not paid by the club they serve - they are voluntary roles. Because of this, they can take a supportive pastoral role that sees them available to players and staff at times of need, getting involved in community projects and linking the club with a wide range of activities with local people of all ages.

Premiership sides with chaplains include Aston Villa, Man City, Man Utd, Everton, Liverpool, Sunderland, Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers and West Ham. Championship sides include Reading, Notts Forest, QPR, Swansea City, Cardiff City, Scunthorpe, Doncaster Rovers, Plymouth, Peterborough and Palace.

What do they do? A few examples:

Oi, Rev! Chaplains are flocking to clubs | Premier League - Times Online

Portsmouth Diocesan Website

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/the-men-who-bring-god-to-the-squad-1583873.html

It doesn't suit everyone, and if the club looks into it and decides not go that route, fair enough. But I'd like to see it considered, at least :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here