Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club Chaplain???

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Although i'm sure ment in jest. It could be considered bigoted.

Stoo Mate!!! welcome back! can I interest you in some tzatziki? :thumbsup:

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
Come on, you can do better than that, surely! Give up on the ad hominem stuff, Vicar, and stick to the argument!

Pray tell us, what are the benefits, in our multicultural, 21st Century, of a "Club Chaplain"? And how would that work, exactly?

A multi-cultural society.Now there's a statement. Gulliver, do we live in a multi-cultural society? If so does it work?

The stereotype of the football fan in this country= white, working class and atheist. Huge generalisation, I know. A fair few on here will disagree that, widely speaking, this demographic makes up the biggest segment of our fanbase.

How many Sikhs, Muslims and Jews (non-secular) attend Brighton games?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A multi-cultural society.Now there's a statement. Gulliver, do we live in a multi-cultural society? If so does it work?

The stereotype of the football fan in this country= white, working class and atheist. Huge generalisation, I know. A fair few on here will disagree that, widely speaking, this demographic makes up the biggest segment of our fanbase.

you would be surprised.

mwhaaaaaa mhwaaaaaa

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You obviously didn't understand a word I said if you think that was a diatribe.

Let's take a look at this thread. You started it and immediately knocked the very idea of having a chaplain and belittled the beliefs that I and many others hold. If that doesn't make you an arrogant bigot, then it sure makes you sound like one. If you think 'turning the other cheek' means not responding to comments such as that, you are even more ignorant than I thought.

You didn't just disagree with our beliefs, you started a thread simply to ridicule them and belittle them. Perhaps you now realize what a prat you were because now you come crawling back saying "I have no problem with people exploring their spiritual side". Maybe not, but you made it perfectly clear what you thought of them. It's a bit late to try the old "I'm not really intolerant" line because you have shown everyone that you are. Next I expect you'll try the "I was only joking" routine.

You think the concentration comment was "gratuitous" but it was not, nor was it flippant. I was quite serious. People wonder how decent human beings like regular German people can turn into such animals. It starts with attitudes such as yours that are completely dismissive of the beliefs of others. You look at what you wrote and you were treating us as stupid and somehow lesser than you. That is where it all starts, with a lack of respect for others. Given the right circumstances it leads to concentration camps, or ghettos, or apartheid.

As for your pathetic comment about chaplains being replaced by 1300 nurses, that argument could be made about ANY non-nursing employees in the NHS. Think how many nurses you could hire if you got rid of the cleaners. Clearly they are all there for a reason - or they wouldn't be there. Does it not occur to you that the problem you have got is your ignorance of what chaplains do? Maybe instead of starting a thread that is a direct insult to people like me, you should use this internet thingy to ask what they do instead.

For many people, a chaplain is a valuable part of their treatment. It is something I do myself from time to time, and I am regarded as a member of staff and the treatment team at two hospitals, although I am not employed or paid by them. I attend people who request it and they will often tell you the chaplain was helpful in their recovery. And of course, it is often the chaplains that are left to help people through grief or tragedy, which it may surprise you to know isn't uncommon in hospitals. Would you fancy that job?

It would be the same at a football club. It would not be imposed on anyone, but would be a service available to those who would like it. I imagine this could be a service that wouldn't even cost the club anything, depending on the arrangement. Yes, they could go outside the club, but you could say that for just about anything the club does for its players. Chaplains also act as sources of information when they know they aren't the right person to handle an issue. For example, if the club had a chaplain who was a Christian, and the player was a Hindu with a spiritual crisis, a modern chaplain would likely have enough knowledge to talk about a basic issue, but if further help were needed, he would know who to contact in the Hindu faith. Given the transitional lifestyle of footballers, they often don't have the chance to gather that kind of knowledge for themselves.

To sum up, you ridicule the idea of a chaplain because a) you don't know what they do, and b) you show tendencies towards bigotry. Both are not that rare these days, but by starting a thread about it, you deserve a response.

BTW, you probably should spend some time researching industrial chaplains as well. You obviously haven't heard of them either.

Oh, and BTW, contrary to your little dig about employment, the situation here is a national SHORTAGE of clergy. Plenty of jobs if you want to endure the 7 or 8 years of training.

Fantastic post. Unbelievable the amount of people with ZERO knowledge of religion who are more than happy to weigh in with their "views". Like me lecturing people on trainspotting, or how to grow beetroot.

I thought the genocide bit was going a little too far though.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Taking it personally? Making fun of chaplains, of which I am one? Hmmm. In fact I have also been chaplain to a sports team, although I was useless at it as they forgot to tell me I was it until the end of season banquet. Doh. . . At the moment I am also chaplain to a branch of the Legion. I wonder if that is allowed in Gilliver's world?

As far as genocide goes, do you think it starts from nowhere? You think it is rootless? Not likely, I think. As I said, I believe its root cause lies in a lack of respect and a lack of tolerance for other human beings. I didn't say Gilliver was involved with genocide, but his attitude is not far removed from the underlying cause. What happens is that under the right conditions, people start looking for a scapegoat - and who do they choose? Someone or some group that they have no respect and no tolerance for. In the past that has been Jews, and black people, etc. Now it is increasingly people of faith, when in fact we all know it should be Palarse fans.

BTW, did you notice the lovely way he started a thread all about religion, and then ends up by saying "Religion belongs in the private sphere, and we'd all be far better off if it stayed there." :facepalm: Sounds strangely like he thinks his views can be aired publicly but everything else must be hushed up. Tough.

Yeah taking it personally. I was just wondering how people of faith can't seem to turn the other cheek like they claim to believe is the correct way of dealing with things and just think to themselves 'Ah well at least Im in the right'. Yeah he's made fun of chaplain's which as I have said was unnecessary and insensitive but this does not start genocide!!! If so the guys from Monty Python would be standing before the Haig court's on charges of religious hate crimes!

The fact off the matter in my opinion is that it can be difficult to respect something that tells individuals that they are living in the wrong way but can't take criticism itself and does not live by its own rules. For example every Saturday in Leicester by the clock tower a few guys set up a PA and rap about god telling people that he is the only way ou can save your souls. However if I set up a PA in the city centre and spoke on my belief that there is no god then I would be arrested. Respect?? Whilst I would never try to change your views mate and believe whole heartedly in your right to believe whatever you want, religion gets far more respect than it sometiems deserves.

Dandyman

In London village.

Although Orthodox Jews might have a problem attending saturday games, the Albion have had a significant number of secular Jewish supporters for decades.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Fantastic post. Unbelievable the amount of people with ZERO knowledge of religion who are more than happy to weigh in with their "views". Like me lecturing people on trainspotting, or how to grow beetroot.

I thought the genocide bit was going a little too far though.
Amazing that people are able somehow to decide that I have "ZERO" knowledge of religion. What do you know? What do I know? I'll tell you this: I was force-fed religion from the ages of 5 to 11 at a Hove CofE primary school, along with a weekly top-up at Sunday school, just for starters. The attempted brainwashing continued relentlessly at secondary level.

What did I learn? That it's hardly necessary to read the entire collected works of Hans Christian Andersen, Enid Blyton and the Brothers Grimm in order to reach the conclusion that there's no such thing as fairies.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
We DEFINITELY had a club Chaplain at the Goldstone. He was even credited in the programmes like the club doctor and secretary.

And thats all Im going to say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here