Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Clive Tyldesley axed by ITV after 28 years

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It probably is time for Tyldesley to move on as I really am not interested in hearing any more about 'that night' Man Utd won the Champions league in 1999

'That balmy night in Barcelona' is how he usually refers to it. Massive United fan.

Will be sorely missed, I do sometimes pine for the Tyldesley/Townsend commentary double act.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He's slipped into the Lawrenson role ("I don't know why I'm here and I certainly don't want to be here") with absolute ease
I was about to post exactly this.

He has taken up Lawro's cynical and world-weary role with aplomb. Seems like he might be genuinely depressed.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Final commentary, Germany vs Denmark, this weekend, after being informed by ITV his contract would not be renewed after 28 years.

Call me sentimental, but with new lead commentator Sam Matterface clearly with age on his side, surely they could have done the decent thing and let Clive finish with the final?

I appreciate nothing lasts forever, but given his years of service finishing on the Round of 16 seems a tad harsh?
Who cares.?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was about to post exactly this.

He has taken up Lawro's cynical and world-weary role with aplomb. Seems like he might be genuinely depressed.
If you were born and bred in Bumley, you'd be depressed too.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Dixon’s always been demoralising.

Dixon is used over here for NBC's coverage of Premier League matches; he is sometimes used as a solitary "colour" commentator or in a three with Graeme Le Saux alongside the main commentator.

I enjoy Dixon - dry, funny, self-deprecating - and when he's alongside Le Saux they work off each other extremely well.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I know middle-aged lasts longer these days but 69 is pushing it
I'm in my 50s and I still manage it, provided you both get into a comfortable position at the start.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Dixon is used over here for NBC's coverage of Premier League matches; he is sometimes used as a solitary "colour" commentator or in a three with Graeme Le Saux alongside the main commentator.

I enjoy Dixon - dry, funny, self-deprecating - and when he's alongside Le Saux they work off each other extremely well.

I've seen US coverage of PL games. I really like it, especially their post match analysis stuff. Very detailed, last for ages, legends of the PL round the sofa.

Perhaps ITV and England is a glum mix mid match? Thank heavens for Keane and Wright.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
Quite. And Alex Scott isn't even a commentator.

Does an arse I have on ignore not know the difference between a commentator and a pundit?
Mate I know you can't read this as I'm on 'ignore' but it really is awfully boring you constantly telling us you have people on ignore, makes you look very pompous and childish. Did you used to take your ball home when you weren't winning at football. Instead of 'ignoring' people why not engage in debate with them?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I have a horrible feeling he's going to end up on the international coverage of The Premier League, alongside Peter Drury and Andy Townsend. It's where terrible commentators go to retire.

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I have a horrible feeling he's going to end up on the international coverage of The Premier League, alongside Peter Drury and Andy Townsend. It's where terrible commentators go to retire.

He's got a gig in a sitcom with Gail from Corra called 'The Tyldesleys' now they've both been sacked.

Also covering Champions League in USA with CBS. Made himself available to Sky but they chose Peter Drury when Martin 'and it's live!' Tyler retired.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
He's got a gig in a sitcom with Gail from Corra called 'The Tyldesleys' now they've both been sacked.

Also covering Champions League in USA with CBS. Made himself available to Sky but they chose Peter Drury when Martin 'and it's live!' Tyler retired.

We still have Peter "massive hyperbole" Drury and Martin "and it's liiiive" Tyler on the Premier League coverage on Fubo.

And Andy f***ing Townsend too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here