WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
1000011966.jpg

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Final commentary, Germany vs Denmark, this weekend, after being informed by ITV his contract would not be renewed after 28 years.

Call me sentimental, but with new lead commentator Sam Matterface clearly with age on his side, surely they could have done the decent thing and let Clive finish with the final?

I appreciate nothing lasts forever, but given his years of service finishing on the Round of 16 seems a tad harsh?
His contract probably runs until the end of June. As that's Sunday, then it figures the one of the weekend games would be his last?

To be honest, I thought they'd ditched him before – I certainly know that he's got other gigs on other outlets, so I'm sure he won't be suffering too much!

I don't think it's 'harsh' in the slightest, to be honest. It's just business :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Final commentary, Germany vs Denmark, this weekend, after being informed by ITV his contract would not be renewed after 28 years.

Call me sentimental, but with new lead commentator Sam Matterface clearly with age on his side, surely they could have done the decent thing and let Clive finish with the final?

I appreciate nothing lasts forever, but given his years of service finishing on the Round of 16 seems a tad harsh?
I still haven't got over the sacking of the best ever commentator - Alan Green - who single handedly drew me back into the magic and drama of football after years of being bored by radio commentary.

All the other current commentators sound the same to me, and I couldn't name one of them from their voice alone.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Matterface, for some reason, has been ITV's lead commentator for a few years now so he would always get the final.

It probably is time for Tyldesley to move on as I really am not interested in hearing any more about 'that night' Man Utd won the Champions league in 1999. He probably has had his day in fairness, there are better, younger commentators out there now who deserve a chance.

But ITV could do so much better than that wanker Matterface as their lead commentator. Not only is he an appalling commentator but speaking from personal experience, he is also a massive tosser.
And he has a stupid name. Every time I hear him I think Shaddapa you face,

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The OP states that Sam Matterface is already the lead commentator. So with Matterface already the lead and Tyldesley 2nd choice (?) him leaving does open up a position that needs filling.

Edit: not that excuses a cheap shot at Alex Scott with possible sexist and / or racist undertones.
Quite. And Alex Scott isn't even a commentator.

Does an arse I have on ignore not know the difference between a commentator and a pundit?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not a fan of Matterface, if there is an early kick off on Saturdays it's always Talkshite and him... ruins my day...the BBC equivalent is John Murray, who overhypes EVERY attempt at a goal in his nasal whine.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Dixon’s always been demoralising.
Indeed. 'Old Skool'. Always moaning about refs blowing up for 'fair' challenges that wouldn't have warranted a second look 'in my day'. Always moaning about VAR. Like listening to some old bloke in a bar moaning about the unavailability of Opal Fruits and the cancellation of the Black and White Minstrels. Twat.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
You can "almost guarantee it"... Can you? The most high profile replacements from a commentators perspective recently have been:
  • Matterface coming in to ITV to replace Peter Drury
  • Peter Drury replacing Martin Tyler on Sky
  • TNT Sports announced this year they have Darren Fletcher renewing to continue from the BT Sports era
  • Plus the lead commentator on the BBC is Guy Mowbray
If anything, based on evidence, it's the complete opposite.
You’re forgetting all the many that have already been replaced. Also I made the point as have others about it being in terms of overall numbers. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing btw, simply it’s been the case for a long time now. As we can see and hear on our screens. That’s incontestable.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Except we know the replacement in terms of numbers probably won’t be a white male in these situations. You can almost guarantee it these days. That’s just an observation of recent trends, not trying to cause a culture war as you put it.
Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Off at a tangent and random but still commentator related. My mate is married to Tony Gubba's daughter. Sadly departed Tony was jack of all trades legend on the BBC for years. From football to pro celebrity topless knitting he did it all!
Please pass my best to his daughter, Tony Gubba was a brilliant sports commentator and expert. They simply don’t make ‘em like that anymore and I fondly remember him often when I’m privately tutting at the inferior ones doing the job these days! He belonged to a golden era of, the likes of which are sorely missed amongst today’s “shock jocks”, clickbaits and ulterior motive ones whic frankly aren’t fit to polish his microphone! :)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Indeed. 'Old Skool'. Always moaning about refs blowing up for 'fair' challenges that wouldn't have warranted a second look 'in my day'. Always moaning about VAR. Like listening to some old bloke in a bar moaning about the unavailability of Opal Fruits and the cancellation of the Black and White Minstrels. Twat.
What!!!!!! Opal fruits?????

I am OUTRAGED.

The Black & White Minstrels, however, were never a good idea.

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Although I'm sure posted tongue-in-cheek, middle-aged? He's 70 in August. Besides, he has already been replaced with, guess what? A middle aged white man in Sam "I'll bore on about anything for hours" Matterface.

It is a shame though. He's not necessarily my cup of tea, but he's eons ahead of Matterface and Drury who is, without a doubt, one of the most dreadful commentators out there.
Brilliant...It's not just me who detests Drury then...Can't have the sound on when he's commentating with Neville on Sky

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Minutes after an innocuous non-incident e.g. a pen that 100% shouldn't be awarded to England, or an "unjust yellow" for kicking someone's shin .... Dixon's still rattling on about it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here