Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Clive Tyldesley axed by ITV after 28 years

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
And I thought it was a moronic post from a racist trying to shit stir

Thanks for the explanation :thumbsup:
When did I bring 'race' into this? How is me making a jokey comment about Alex Scott replacing CT in any way racist? The point i was making is that she seems to get just about every gig going. It's people like you who sh*t stir because you are too over sensitive and too keen to call out racism when sometimes (like in my first and subsequent posts) on this thread there is none.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Except we know the replacement in terms of numbers probably won’t be a white male in these situations. You can almost guarantee it these days. That’s just an observation of recent trends, not trying to cause a culture war as you put it.
You can "almost guarantee it"... Can you? The most high profile replacements from a commentators perspective recently have been:
  • Matterface coming in to ITV to replace Peter Drury
  • Peter Drury replacing Martin Tyler on Sky
  • TNT Sports announced this year they have Darren Fletcher renewing to continue from the BT Sports era
  • Plus the lead commentator on the BBC is Guy Mowbray
If anything, based on evidence, it's the complete opposite.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Final commentary, Germany vs Denmark, this weekend, after being informed by ITV his contract would not be renewed after 28 years.

Call me sentimental, but with new lead commentator Sam Matterface clearly with age on his side, surely they could have done the decent thing and let Clive finish with the final?

I appreciate nothing lasts forever, but given his years of service finishing on the Round of 16 seems a tad harsh?
Yes they should. Don’t particularly like Tyldsely but Matterface is much worse.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Tyldsely/McCoist is the best commentary team at this tournament. I also think with Wright and Keane ITV have two of the best pundits too. ITV not having a bad tournament, but Matterface and Dixon are a terrible combination which will send me back to the BBC for the final (for the match at least).

Dixon’s always been demoralising.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
When did I bring 'race' into this? How is me making a jokey comment about Alex Scott replacing CT in any way racist? The point i was making is that she seems to get just about every gig going. It's people like you who sh*t stir because you are too over sensitive and too keen to call out racism when sometimes (like in my first and subsequent posts) on this thread there is none.

Yes, you keep explaining that this was actually a 'joke'

Shame on him for being a middle aged white man. Who is replacing him Alex Scott?

I just wouldn't use it as an opener :thumbsup:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've always enjoyed Clive's commentary. I don' think age matters in this job. It's not Radio1.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
Yes, you keep explaining that this was actually a 'joke'

I just wouldn't use it as an opener :thumbsup:
Yes and you keep being an over sensitive sh*t stirrer trying to call out racism when there is none.

I've given two very good reasons why it was a joke: (1)I know she is not a commentator but a pundit / presenter (2) there was a time when she seemed to be on just about everything, if memory serves me: Football focus / strictly (or something like that) the one show, various appearances on sky panels and co presenter on goals on sunday.

My joke was purely driven by the fact she seemed to be the chosen one for just about everything (not that I care as I don't watch FF / Strictly / One Show / GOS finished / rarely bother with pre / HT / Post match analysis.

Unfortunately people like you view anyone who dares stray a millimetre away from the 'acceptable' line as 'racists' and 'morons.' Of which I'm neither.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes and you keep being an over sensitive sh*t stirrer trying to call out racism when there is none.

I've given two very good reasons why it was a joke: (1)I know she is not a commentator but a pundit / presenter (2) there was a time when she seemed to be on just about everything, if memory serves me: Football focus / strictly (or something like that) the one show, various appearances on sky panels and co presenter on goals on sunday.

My joke was purely driven by the fact she seemed to be the chosen one for just about everything (not that I care as I don't watch FF / Strictly / One Show / GOS finished / rarely bother with pre / HT / Post match analysis.

Unfortunately people like you view anyone who dares stray a millimetre away from the 'acceptable' line as 'racists' and 'morons.' Of which I'm neither.

That's the fifth time now that you've explained it was a joke :shrug:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The fact I know that Alex Scott is a pundit who offers her 'expert' opinion and a presenter on football focus and not a commentator is proof my comment was indeed tongue in cheek.
Oh now I get it!!!!

Hahahaha hahahaha

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Although I'm sure posted tongue-in-cheek, middle-aged? He's 70 in August. Besides, he has already been replaced with, guess what? A middle aged white man in Sam "I'll bore on about anything for hours" Matterface.

It is a shame though. He's not necessarily my cup of tea, but he's eons ahead of Matterface and Drury who is, without a doubt, one of the most dreadful commentators out there.
its the way i took it…a tongue in cheek remark ….personally not that keen on Matterface…but then I’m sure loads love him…it is what it is…..just wish i could mute the whole lot and keep the crowd sound ..shrug

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
its the way i took it…a tongue in cheek remark ….personally not that keen on Matterface…but then I’m sure loads love him…it is what it is…..just wish i could mute the whole lot and keep the crowd sound ..shrug
Problem with the crowd sound on England games is you then get the interminable England band uninterrupted. I don't what's worse, Matterface's constant opinions on tactics or the soundtrack of every England failure since 1996...

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Off at a tangent and random but still commentator related. My mate is married to Tony Gubba's daughter. Sadly departed Tony was jack of all trades legend on the BBC for years. From football to pro celebrity topless knitting he did it all!

borat

Jul 16, 2003
Tyldsely/McCoist is the best commentary team at this tournament. I also think with Wright and Keane ITV have two of the best pundits too. ITV not having a bad tournament, but Matterface and Dixon are a terrible combination which will send me back to the BBC for the final (for the match at least).

Agreed. There are a few co commentators who are very hard to listen to because of their constantly negative output - Dixon and McManaman to name just 2. Although McCoist is not the most astute but at least he is at least passionate and injects some excitement.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Off at a tangent and random but still commentator related. My mate is married to Tony Gubba's daughter. Sadly departed Tony was jack of all trades legend on the BBC for years. From football to pro celebrity topless knitting he did it all!
That episode with Anne Widdicombe and the giant tea cosy was a tough watch.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Annnddd we’re off……

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here