Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clear out

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Loads of players need to go. It's boring really because it's been obvious for a few years now. There are a lot of albion fans who won't criticise people like Mayo, Loft, Fraser, El Abd, Thomson, Whing, Hart, Anyinsah, Cox, Dixon etc. The old favourite is always "they're trying their best." In some cases, they're not even terrible players, in fact some of them are alright. But the question I always ask about any player is would he make a serious contribution to a promotion winning squad? If the answer is no, then there is NO point having them on the books, and I think all of those I just mentioned (plus a few more) have no role to play in a promotion winning squad.

I firmly believe that if you did an NSC multi-option poll on who should be let go, and drew a line under the four or five players with the most votes, then that would be a far more accurate assessment of a player's ability than the manager's assessment.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
At the start of the season the general NSC consensus was that Hawkins was a fantastic signing - since injury he hasn't seen that form again, but we know what he CAN do - and on that logic we could easily have shipped off Butters during his first season.

Can't defend some of his more recent performances, although the word "scapegoat" does tend to spring to mind, and we've hardly achieved fantastic things without him in the team either...

I missed the first few games of the season and so have never been impressed with Hawkins' ability although he tries hard. I agree there is a tendency to scapegoat individuals and of course we've played badly without him in the team. My main problem with him is that he prevents Virgo from playing in his best position.

The big differences between Butters and Hawkins is that Guy has a good football brain and excellent positional sense AND he can head the ball powerfully out of defence which Hawkins struggles to do.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
turning this on its head, who would you be happy to see stay.

Kuips
whing
elphick
lynch
thomson
murray
forster
cox

assuming the loanees all go back.

That wouldbe the nucleus of my side with new players BOUGHT not loaned. I would also go and get westlake ( if he is on loan at cheltenham)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Kuips
whing
elphick
lynch
thomson
murray
forster
cox

That wouldbe the nucleus of my side with new players BOUGHT not loaned. I would also go and get westlake ( if he is on loan at cheltenham)

Agree with most but not Whing or bringing back Westlake as I do not think either is good enough. I would sooner sign Thornton than Westlake and find a new right back.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Kuips
whing
elphick
lynch
thomson
murray
forster
cox

I'd go along with that, apart from Thomson - for me he just do enough.

Cox would be 50/50 as well.

Just shows how crap our squad is at the moment doesn't it!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I firmly believe that if you did an NSC multi-option poll on who should be let go, and drew a line under the four or five players with the most votes, then that would be a far more accurate assessment of a player's ability than the manager's assessment.

Can't argue with that at all.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
At the start of the season the general NSC consensus was that Hawkins was a fantastic signing - since injury he hasn't seen that form again, but we know what he CAN do - and on that logic we could easily have shipped off Butters during his first season.

Can't defend some of his more recent performances, although the word "scapegoat" does tend to spring to mind, and we've hardly achieved fantastic things without him in the team either...
People went over the top after a few "ok" performances (ie the errors were less noticeable because he was new and teams didn't score from them). Hawkins is not very good. His injury was months ago anyway.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Of the players whose contract runs out at the end of the season I would only give Sully another year. Chamberlain will definitely be gone in January with perhaps OGH and Kezza having their contracts paid up as well. We need to keep Hinsh on the books so that we collect on the insurance when he accepts early medical retirement. Lynch will piss off to Forest and if decent bids come in for Elf and Muzza from Championship clubs they'll be off as well. Of the loan signings the only decent one is Thornton as he is quality and I hope we dont sign Anyinsah or Fleetwood as they wont improve as permanent signings. Micky needs to sign a midfield general in the mould of Brian Horton to take control of the park and the captains armband even though we have an abundance of midfielders already.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008

Yeah but don't forget people were ripping it out of Sullivan on here saying he wouldn't make the grade and all that. Now we realise he really is good enough.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I'd go along with that, apart from Thomson - for me he just do enough.

Cox would be 50/50 as well.

Just shows how crap our squad is at the moment doesn't it!
The thing is we know most of them are capable of a lot better than this, even if I agree with Badger when he says a lot of them would not be part of a promotion squad.

I'm not sure what Cox has to do to impress some people, especially when his competition is Anyinsah!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
People went over the top after a few "ok" performances (ie the errors were less noticeable because he was new and teams didn't score from them). Hawkins is not very good. His injury was months ago anyway.

I wasn't blaming his recent performances on the injury, but it was the injury that marked the turning point in the way he played. And his performances early on were better than "ok", they were good. Just think theres more to a player than a 2-month bad spell, and the majority of people on here did recognise that he can do a job.

And its not like we've started picking up points and stopped shipping goals without him, so I fail to see why he's everyone's focus on here.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I don't think so, I think the injury was when people started to notice his failings en masse, particularly the Scunthorpe game. But in reality they were always there. Which games was he good in? Worthing doesn't count...

I agree he is not the only problem with the defence which just looks disorganised, but at least the others we KNOW can play better, and in fact despite the poor performances as a unit have been doing some good things individually. Hawkins is just petrol on the bonfire.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Agree absolutely. You, I, and a lot of nsc were totally right about Hart and Mayo. Only the club apologists on here tried to justify that one. Who's been proved right now?

Nobodu has been proved right as they were both signed as squad/cover players and both have suffered long term injuries which can happen to any player. Mayo was sent to Lewes not because he wasnt good enough to do the job he was signed to do .ie be cover but because he needed games to keep himself match fit. So the case is unproven.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I don't think so, I think the injury was when people started to notice his failings en masse, particularly the Scunthorpe game. But in reality they were always there. Which games was he good in? Worthing doesn't count...

I agree he is not the only problem with the defence which just looks disorganised, but at least the others we KNOW can play better, and in fact despite the poor performances as a unit have been doing some good things individually. Hawkins is just petrol on the bonfire.

I thought he played well against Southend. The fact is that he was playing quite well before the injury and is probably a half-decent player at this level. However, as with so many of our players this season, Micky has managed to get playing him playing beneath himself by stupidly playing him against Scunthorpe when he was about 20% fit. Since then his confidence has dropped dramatically, but is it any wonder?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If either was good enough they'd have made more than 2 appearances between them this season. Shit decision and a waste of wages - end of story I'm afraid. Just a shame that there are obviously people at the club who know less about football than a chump like me!

You miss the whole point of them signing, they were only ever signed as reliable BACK UP and COVER it was never intended for them to play regularly as first choice, and if the directors of the club decided that we could afford to pay them to do this job, who are we to argue against it. Has the payment of their wages stopped MA bringing in anybody that he wanted to, simple answer NO.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here