Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Class of '79

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think there is an argument that the '83 squad seems to get more recognition that others. Ward aside I can't remember seeing much of the '79 squad out on the Withdean pitch.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
They were the best years to be supporting the albion and i travelled far and wide watching almost every 1 division game....they were very much appreciated especially the 1-0win at liverpool the 3-3 draw at coventry after being 3-0 down oh the memorys..

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I started supporting the Albion in 1973 and had 10 glory years. Happy days as Man and Boy.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Thats why when you have seen BHAFC V Man Utd as a league match it is hard to muster the enthusiasm for BHAFC V Hartlepool.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
I was yakking with one of the 1979 promotion-winning side last night, and we were talking about this and that, and he said something which I found a bit odd, and would like to have the opinion of the older NSC bods.

He said he feels that that squad is ‘under-appreciated’ and 'largely forgotten'.

Personally, I think they’re heroes (that word again - I mean in a football context here), and that they wrote a glorious chapter in the club’s history. When I asked him about it, I think we got to realise that he felt it’s the club who he thinks doesn’t appreciate them, rather than the fans.

So do the fans feel a sense of appreciation for that side? Over to you.

Crickey the classes of 79-83 were the greatest that we have had in living memory. The only possible team that can claim to top them would be Charlie Webb's Charity Sheild winners. But in terms of appreciation this always makes me smile. They got paid as I do at work.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The best spells was the 4 leagues games in the 2nd season in the top flight at the end of the season when we won them all. Michael Robinson maurading towards the defenders like a wild Rhino will live with me forever. He was f***ing ACE.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was in the pub with Mike Kerslake, Giles Stille, Michael Ring and Tony Vessey. Honest! :dunce:

My brother actually took out Tony Vessey`s sister.................... hows that for name dropping huh.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, it might depend whch player(s) the OP was talking to - there were quite a few who got shipped out (or relegated to the reserves) pretty quickly once we started playing in the first division.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The reason that the class of 79 possibly feel aggreived was demonstrated again tonight with the introduction of Peter Ward who has spent more time on Withdean pitch than half the squad. I dont begrudge him his glory and status but he didnt win promotion on his own and even with his goals he needed 10 more players.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The reason that the class of 79 possibly feel aggreived was demonstrated again tonight with the introduction of Peter Ward who has spent more time on Withdean pitch than half the squad. I dont begrudge him his glory and status but he didnt win promotion on his own and even with his goals he needed 10 more players.

I noticed there was a little aside in last night's programme that Chris Cattlin and the club had 'kissed and made up'.

After giving each other the 20 year-long silent treatment, it might explain his absence.

D

Deleted User X18H

I noticed there was a little aside in last night's programme that Chris Cattlin and the club had 'kissed and made up'.

After giving each other the 20 year-long silent treatment, it might explain his absence.

Kissing was the problem in the first place..........allegedly:wink:

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
I think it's fair to say that you remember your teenage years as the best years of your life. The music from when you are about 16 stays with you for the rest of your life. It is also the time when you are having your first sexual experiences.

And for me I was lucky enough for it to be the most exciting time ever to be an Albion fan. Everyone remembers Peter Ward and rightly so because his 36 goals in 76-77 has stood as a record for a very long time, and as was said last night, it doesn't look under threat for the next year or two. But that team of the late 70s was a great team. Brian Horton, Chris Cattlin, Mark Lawrenson, Gary Williams, Eric Steele and so on. I hope they are all celebrated when we get to Falmer.

When I look at the Premier League these days and see teams like Hull, Reading etc spending millions just to have a couple of seasons in the top flight, I'm amazed that we managed four years in the First Division. When alltime Albiom teams are put together it should consist of a large number of those players that played for the Albion at the very highest level - Michael Robinson, Steve Foster, Gary Stevens, Gordon Smith as well as those named above.

Back to Peter Ward, I remember going to see him play for England U-21s at the Goldstone. I think it was against Norway and he scored a hatrick in a 6-0 win.

D

Deleted User X18H

For once hb&b, tell us more........

It was once a well worn rumour in these parts that a certain rock shop entrepreneur was caught in flagrante delicto with a lady belonging to a one time Albion big wig.

Think Tommy Docherty

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
It was once a well worn rumour in these parts that a certain rock shop entrepreneur was caught in flagrante delicto with a lady belonging to a one time Albion big wig.

Think Tommy Docherty

Mike Yaxley's ? or someone higher up than that?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Back to Peter Ward, I remember going to see him play for England U-21s at the Goldstone. I think it was against Norway and he scored a hatrick in a 6-0 win.

We had just moved down to brighton. I was nine years old and had never been to a football match. My stepfather had no interest in football and I had a leaning towards palace because all my school friends had supported them. I wasn't the happiest kid at that time and a friend of my mother's who will always be remembered as Uncle Jim, offered to take me to a game. I didn't know anything till I got there...... it was England Norway under -21s at the Goldstone.

That night the colour of my blodd changed and it's been gushing blue and white ever since and Wardy has always been my iconic foward ....only beaten to herodom by Paul Clark.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Go on then - whose name was I dropping?

here's a dean wilkins reference from this afternoon:

"When Wilkins was in charge (I say this because I'm talking about stuff from three years ago - I don't know if it's changed), I asked him about NSC."

you just can't help it can you? is his name in your mobile list?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
here's a dean wilkins reference from this afternoon:

"When Wilkins was in charge (I say this because I'm talking about stuff from three years ago - I don't know if it's changed), I asked him about NSC."

you just can't help it can you? is his name in your mobile list?

Jesus wept. :wozza:

I will explain this very simple concept to you, because evidently it needs explaining.

What I said (about the Wilkins stuff) wouldn't have made a great deal sense if I hadn't given it some context.

Frankly, it's a gormless response from you there. :facepalm:

So, back to the original point, who did I name-drop (evidently an appalling social crime to you) in the first post?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here