Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Class of '79

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Well for some of us of course they will NEVER be forgotten, those years under Mullery were the best times of my football-supporting life and among the best years of my whole life. Brilliant, brilliant memories.

However I DO take his point. I think Tooting sums it up well when he said that in some ways they were eclipsed by the 1983 Cup Final team, hell, in some respects they've even been eclipsed by the team that played Hereford in 1997. Everybody still goes on about Peter Ward of course but there were some unsung footsoldiers in there, the likes of Williams, Rollings, Sayer, etc who have maybe slipped off the collective radar. I don't think there's ever been some sort of reunion has there? Would love to see one.

As a secondary point I don't think the players at the time felt appreciated by the club. After the promotion party there was a lot of hoo-haa about 1st division players on 2nd divison wages and over the summer a lot of ill-feeling developed between the players and the board and management. Indeed on the Friday before the Arsenal game Mullery only had three players who'd signed their contracts; consequently he told the 'rebels' that he was going to play the youth team and tell the press the reason why!

Those were the days! I remember so well the expectation of that year... it was like being on a crest of a wave... it was surely written that we would be promoted that year after what had happened the season before. This was the best year in football's history (for me) and I loved every minute of it and I agree with anyone who says that people remeber the 83 side more than the 79 side. However, the 83 side got relegated and won nothing. The 79 side created history.

To say that it was totall ignored by the media is not exactly true:

Caught in time: Brighton win promotion to the First Division, 1979 | Football League - Times Online

Giles Stille? That's a real blast from the past!

great link SCS

Absolutely spot on. That trip to Newcastle in 79 was the highlight of my own Albion supporting life. More so than the 83 cup final.

forgotten never in my life time it won't best ever trip with good mates and walking on air for months

getofftheropes

bossa nova
Sep 4, 2009
brazil!no littlehampton
:clap2::clap2:So basically everyone agrees,we all loved that team and enjoyed the times of our lifes supporting them! I for one would love too met up with them and recall the mullery years,should any event get sorted i will be there to honour them! heroes:clap2::clap2:

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Well said that man. I too will never forget the team, or those who were part of the development process initiated by Peter Taylor and continued by Mullery, that gave me that day at St James's Park in May 1979.
1983 - Pah!

Agree wholeheartedly, Peter Taylor was manager when I had my first Albion experience & as a boy from London I stuck with them through thick & thin. I always though Clough was a b'stard for taking Peter Ward & not utilising him properly. Reading he stopped Ward from having the opportunity to play in an FA cup final really cements the thoughts I have of Clough being a real wanker
One player missing was the on-loan Ward. “Before the sixth round, I told [manager] Brian Clough at Forest that Brighton wanted to keep me until the end of the season. Cloughie said: ‘Son, I have never been to a cup final and neither will you’.” Recalled north, Ward never got his chance.

I believe Clough had a chip on his shoulder about Brighton & Taylor & took Ward to hinder us. Just my thoughts but wouldn't surprise me.

And yes the team of 79 were the GREATEST

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here