• Meh

Votes: 23 15.3%

• Total voters

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well I want Barcelona to win because I can't stand Utd for a host of reason

1. They initiated the greed as they sort to change the distribution of match income so that the home side took all the receipts apart from expenses. After that, everyone was in it for themselves.
2. The champions league was only created to stop the big clubs breaking away to form a separate super league (admittedly Barca are part of that but they are not responsible for reason 4)
3. Alex Ferguson is an obnoxious person. Anyone behaving like he does in an normal employment environment would have had so many claims against him his position would be untenable.
4. They beat us in the cup when Whiteside should have been red carded for cynical tackle on Ramsay which, due to his failure to run, allowed them to equalise.

There are numerous others, some of which apply to other 'big' clubs but Manure are at the top of the shit pile.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
When you say "they are representing our nation" are you referring to the fact that Man Utd fans are spread all across the country and mainly consist of [insert naff lager] drinkers who sit in front of their 42" Plasma watching "Super Sunday" and have never even been to the North-west let alone Old trafford? In which case I can see your point.

If, more likely, you think they somehow represent the entire nation then I think you are mistaken, I don't see them sporting the cross of St George or the three lions. As far as I'm concerned it's 2 clubs (one of which happens to be english) that I couldn't give a shit about playing the final of a football competition.

For the first time in my NSC history i will say...THIS! My thoughts exactly.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
100% agree with Badger. I hate United with a passion and feel contempt for anyone I meet who is a Utd fan who isn't from the North-West or has a justified reason for supporting them. A really detestable team. Not huge fans of Barcelona either, especially the awful spirit the 1st leg of the semi-final was played in against Madrid. I appreciate that it's one of, if not the, biggest rivalries in the world, but it was an absolutely horrendous 90 minutes of viewing. Just hope it's a decent game of football, but could care less.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
We should all get behind Manchester United tomorrow as they are representing our nation. I agree that Sir Alex can be annoying at times and that some of their players make ones blood boil, but they an English team. I would support Crystal Palace for an evening if they were playing in the final of the champions league.

They don't represent our nation! Rubbish.

So what if they're English?

Blue are English but I didn't cheer them on in the Eurovision Song Contest.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Well I want Barcelona to win because I can't stand Utd for a host of reason

1. They initiated the greed as they sort to change the distribution of match income so that the home side took all the receipts apart from expenses. After that, everyone was in it for themselves.

is that right? Excellent, another reason to hate them.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I really hope that United experience a soul shattering annihilation, of Old Testament proportions, which leaves their players briused, battered and shell-shocked way into next season - at least until they start their death-and-taxes inevitable unbeaten streak to win the leage AGAIN at the beginning of December.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
herd-of-sheep.jpg

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
To the OP - No, No and No. Old Rudolph Red Nose is an arrogant Scot whose team surrounds the officials and players get off lightly because they are a 'top' team. They are not English, they have 1 or 2 english players, too many others to even contemplate my support and if they win the Champs League they will have even more money to use to buy the top talent from around the world and increase their chances of another PL title. As for Palarse (spit) not even worth a response. Can both teams lose or maybe a 5-4 scoreline , 9-a side entertainment spectacle ? No it will be diving and cheating and goading of the highest order from players who shouldn't have to resort to such antics and for that reason - I'm out ;o)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
100% agree with Badger. I hate United with a passion and feel contempt for anyone I meet who is a Utd fan who isn't from the North-West or has a justified reason for supporting them. A really detestable team. Not huge fans of Barcelona either, especially the awful spirit the 1st leg of the semi-final was played in against Madrid. I appreciate that it's one of, if not the, biggest rivalries in the world, but it was an absolutely horrendous 90 minutes of viewing. Just hope it's a decent game of football, but could care less.

Makes one ask the question that is the Man United hater who is some 270 miles from Manchester, whose team is not even in the same division, is simply the antithesis of the 'plastic fan' i.e. the 'plastic rival/hater'?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
To the OP - No, No and No. Old Rudolph Red Nose is an arrogant Scot whose team surrounds the officials and players get off lightly because they are a 'top' team. They are not English, they have 1 or 2 english players, too many others to even contemplate my support and if they win the Champs League they will have even more money to use to buy the top talent from around the world and increase their chances of another PL title. As for Palarse (spit) not even worth a response. Can both teams lose or maybe a 5-4 scoreline , 9-a side entertainment spectacle ? No it will be diving and cheating and goading of the highest order from players who shouldn't have to resort to such antics and for that reason - I'm out ;o)

Rooney, Scholes, Carrick, Ferdinand, Smalling, Brown, Owen then the other Brits, Giggs, Fletcher, Gibson, coming back from loans Wellbeck, Cleverley....Could you let me know which other Premiership team has more British players in it's squad?

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Rooney, Scholes, Carrick, Ferdinand, Smalling, Brown, Owen then the other Brits, Giggs, Fletcher, Gibson, coming back from loans Wellbeck, Cleverley....Could you let me know which other Premiership team has more British players in it's squad?

Aston Villa.
Luke Young, Warnock, Downing, Ashley Young, Agbonlahor, Albrighton, Delph, Delfouneso, Heskey, Reo-Coker, Walker, Bent. Osbourne & Hogg also played in the first team this season.
Then other Brits. Collins, Bannan, Clark, Dunne & Ireland.

If someone held a gun to my head i'd say Barcelona but i hate both teams so meh.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I hope for Barca to dancingly trounce them. Terribly in debt, of course, Barca, but by jingo they're the prettiest of the wags to watch and envy the company of. Utd might come up with a gameplan to cull Barca's intended spectacularity, but i wouldn't be proud of them for outmuscling their skilled superiors. if it was a little club doing so, then i'd have some admiration for their bravery, but Utd are no little club.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In all honesty, I can't bring myself to care an awful lot either way who wins, but I'd marginally favour United. So much of the stuff that's said about them is just people getting sucked in by the hype. They're constantly accused of things that every other club at their level is guilty of. For example:

-their fans are all from Surrey/Cornwall
Sure, they have plenty of "fans" all over the country, and the world, but that's no different to Liverpool during the 1980s. My lifelong dislike for Liverpool stems from being at school during the 80s and being surrounded by kids (in Hurstpierpoint, that well known suburb of Toxteth) wearing Liverpool shirts. Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs: they're all exactly the same. It's what (relative) success does. I even remember seeing people in Blackburn shirts around these parts in the mid 1990s.

-They're not the real Manchester side
I'd love to know what proportion of their average crowds are from Greater Manchester. I bet it's far higher than people want to believe. Alright, plenty come over from Ireland each game, but again, that's no different to Liverpool, Everton, Celtic or Rangers. They get 76,000 at every home game, and I wouldn't mind betting there are more Mancs in there than there in the total crowd at Man City. It's a big city, they're a successful team: of course their local population are going to support them. If you're born and bred in Manchester, who else are you going to support if not City? Bolton? Rochdale? Probably not. They have just as many- in fact significantly more- genuine, proper, lifelong football fans as any club, and it must piss those people right off to be branded plastic Noddy supporters alongside the Bangkok Reds or the Truro Reds. I bet they hate some of the marketing stuff that goes on.

-They're bad losers

Show me a top Premier League side that isn't. Arsenal? Chelsea? I have cringed at recent scenes of United players surrounding the referee, and yes, they should all get a shoeing from the FA as a result, but so should all the other teams at the top who do the same. That's a top level football issue, not just a Man United one.

They are favoured by referees
This is not actually backed up by statistics if you bother to check them. Especially the old "penalties at Old Trafford" argument. I wonder which English team was awarded the most penalties last season? Pretty sure it's not United...in fact it's probably...oh....us.

Their manager is an obnoxious, whining arse

True. But so is Arsene Wenger. So is Harry Redknapp much of the time. And Neil Warnock when he's in the mood. And Billy Davies, and countless other managers. Fergie comes out with some corkers at times, but he's hardly the only one.

I'm no lover of United, far from it, I consider myself largely indifferent to them. I just think it looks a bit small-time when you get fans of (say) Macclesfield and Port Vale and Forest and Doncaster and Southampton and us etc ranting on about how much they hate them, despite having rarely, if ever, had any on-field collisions or history with them. As if Man United give a toss what we think. I'm not keen on their part-time fans who live round these parts and think they're somehow real supporters because they go to the pub and watch every United game on TV, but I feel exactly the same about someone who claims to be a Chelsea fan yet never goes. Look at the facts, people, and then if you still find you can't stand them, fair enough. But don't get sucked in by all the myths.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here