Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Churchill Square Pictures

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Has anybody got any pictures of Churchill Square and area surrounding it BEFORE the redevelopment?

No real reason, just want to know what it looked like because my memory is not so good as I was only like 7 or 8 when it was developed and the only thing I remember was that Virgin Megastore was down Western Road around about where Top Shop and Argos etc is.

Thanks for any help.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Here's one of the bandstand from 1994

nig1_place_s.jpg

And the weird opticians building out the front

churchill_square_1960s.jpg

Behind BHS

churchill_sqaure2.jpg

Tesco's after the 1987 hurricane

PROP7.jpg

Last edited:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Does anyone remember the whisling Pavarotti man who used to perform under the BT building.

He mimed to a tape player and earnt quite a lot of money on a Saturday afternoon.

Old chap with white hair and gloves.

Last edited:

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Does anyone remember Eddie the Eagle jumping off Surf and Ski's roof?

f***ing hilarious it was

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Anyone else remember a shop on the lower level called "Orange Hand" in the 70's? Top quality clobber.
I used to get my caudroy flares & tear drop collar, polka dot shirts there. Not to mention the odd tank top!

Happy days :lolol:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
God, it really was a post-war horror, wasn't it?

I remember buying my first ever single (Simon Says, by the 1910 Fruitgum Company, fact fans) in the WH Smith record place on the corder for 45p.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Tom Hark said:
What was that daft old AncientInca-style monument in the middle of the windswept dump all about?
It was called "The Spirit Of Brighton". I know, baffling.

I did used to like that weird high-level bridge at the back that led into the Brighton Centre. For a while in my teenage "hanging around aimlessly in shopping centre" years, they actively encouraged people to use it to get to the beach.

But they never got the circulation of people right in those old shopping centres - apart from the school uniform place, the shops near those big ramps always went out of business in five minutes.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I was given a cracking book this week called Brighton - Then and Now (I think). It's got some amazing old photo's in it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here