Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Churchill Square Pictures

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
The lower level of the old Churchill Square was a rapist's/mugger's DREAM!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Cereal Killer said:
Some quality pictures guys :)

Bit of a dump looking place wasnt it?
Wasn't THAT bad, in honest recollection, just wrong for it to be open air and any shops at the back suffered from people having no reason to venture down there. The Tescos was good too. But it's much better now.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Does anyone remember the wishing well at Churchill square? I still look out for it and feel sad that its no longer there.

It was a classic meeting point. I remember asking my first girlfriend to meet me there.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
My GOD. The Winner looks exactly the same as it did 23 years ago!

downs_cafe03.jpg

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
ChapmansThe Saviour said:

downs_cafe03.jpg

Although I have never seen a Burger stool outside (im guessing that is a burger stool)

And its probably better than the stools we get at Withdean :(

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:

downs_cafe03.jpg

There's certain pubs in Brighton you just never go in, and never did. They just radiate a definite vibe that says 'I am a pub that is deeply SHITE. Walk on by, there's nothing for you here'. The Winner is one such pub.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The lower levels always radiated DANGER to me in my youth. Of course it didn't help that my friends and I were chased through there by some older boys who had bought CROW BARS from the old 50p shop...

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
I remember when wh smiths use to be 2 shops. The main one had magazines and books, you had to walk all the way through that the get outside to then go in to the cd and dvd section.

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
I remember when I was a wee nipper going down to the lower level into a shop called "Softcentre" (I think) to buy £1.99 Amstrad Games.

Anyone else remember it?

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
Virgo's Haircut said:
I remember when I was a wee nipper going down to the lower level into a shop called "Softcentre" (I think) to buy £1.99 Amstrad Games.

Anyone else remember it?

Wow!! Totally forgotten about that shop. Felt like taking your life in your hands going down to it though. That area was crying out for someone in the shadows crowing "Warriors come out to play!".

God forsaken place when it was windy & raining.

Anyone remember the MASSIVE HMV on 2 Floors!! Loads of my mates shop-lifted TDK SA-90 tapes from there (& most were eventually caught).

Remember standing at the check-out in Tescos, with Europe (of The Final Countdown fame), resplendent in their Rocker get-up queueing up behind me with.......yoghurt!! They were playing the Brighton Centre that night.

:lolol:

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
Also I remember going into a cafe/restaurant place upstairs somewhere near where Sainsburys used to be.

I think it was decked out in orange, but I can't remember what it was called.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Virgo's Haircut said:
Also I remember going into a cafe/restaurant place upstairs somewhere near where Sainsburys used to be.

I think it was decked out in orange, but I can't remember what it was called.
Where was Sainsburys? There was a half-decent restaurant called "the Solarium" at the back somewhere upstairs.

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
cannedheat said:
Ahh The Winner, more fights in there than Madison Square Garden.

Don't know if The Winner's Sunday League team was made up the pub's regulars, but my old team & them were rivals for a couple of seasons as we went up the leagues. Very incident filled games with footballing finesse well and truly taking a back-seat :ohmy:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Nobby's Betamax Video said:

Remember standing at the check-out in Tescos, with Europe (of The Final Countdown fame), resplendent in their Rocker get-up queueing up behind me with.......yoghurt!! They were playing the Brighton Centre that night.

:lolol:

that's COOL.

1469.jpg

We're leaving together
But still it's farewell
And maybe we'll come back
To earth, who can tell?

I guess there is no one to blame
We're leaving ground
Will things ever be the same again?
It's the final countdown...

We're heading for
Venus and still we stand tall
Cause maybe they've seen us and welcome us all
With so many light years to go and things to be found

I'm sure that we'll all miss her soIt's the final countdown...
The final countdown...
It's the final countdown

:bowdown: :guitar: punk: :bowdown: :blush:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here