Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Christmas shopping

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
.. seems to get earlier every year. Saw my first shit robotic "santa" on Goodge Street, central London this afternoon.

Stuck in my mind because today is my birthday and I don't usually associate that with the start of Christmas.

A couple of weeks ago I was enjoying the sun in Hastings.

Bring on global warming I say if it means that Christmas means a made rush a week before the event rather than tinsel creep in October....

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Christmas lights have been up in North Street and around the Clock Tower for a week now.
I start Christmas shopping in September so that I don't have to rush around like a lunatic when the shops are too crowded.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I ignore the whole thing until Christmas Eve. And if I have to hear "I wish it could be f:rant:ing Chr:rant:tmas ev:rant:y f:rant:ing d:rant:y" each time I walk into a shop between now and 24 December I will :rant:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Theres a house down the road from me thats got its Christmas lights out. Tossers.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I ignore the whole thing and happily work every shift I can over the Christmas period just to escape it.

Roll on January :)

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Yaaaaay!!! Christmas!!!!!!!!

Not that i can go out shopping at the moment though :( bloody stoopid shoulder intefering shopping!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Theres a house down the road from me thats got its Christmas lights out. Tossers.

Are you sure they are for Christmas? When I lived in Huddersfield the Asians used decorative lights to celebrate Eid (although that was a couple of weeks ago now) or Divali.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
There's a house at the bottom of The Avenue whichhas it's lights on. Always does before the end of October.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
How did you know they were Asian?

How would you tell? Pictures of the Black Stone at Mecca on the wall, name of Hussein, wearing headcoverings, and speaking Urdu to each would seem to give it away.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It is pretty sad when people do their shopping, have their food ordered and plan Christmas well in advance. It is not as if there is going to be a mass food shortage or a stampede to get supplies. One wonders how the people of this country would cope if there was a real urgency for supplies due to the danger of a natural disaster etc.

I am quite happy to enjoy September, October, November and December for what they are, without having to worry about Christmas. I normally do my shopping on Christmas Eve with a glowing feeling that I have not burst a blood vessel or was sad enough to start before then. It must be a very empty existence if you have to worry about Christmas more than a few days beforehand (obviously excluding ordering and pickng up the turkey).

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Don't be so pompous BOF.
When half the family live at the other end of the country then planning has to be ahead to make sure they get their presents in time.
I don't want to miss any Albion games so delivery of said presents has to be in advance so that they aren't late.
Perhaps when you have children and grandchildren to think of, you may start planning earlier.
Sad doesn't come into it.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
It is pretty sad when people do their shopping, have their food ordered and plan Christmas well in advance. It is not as if there is going to be a mass food shortage or a stampede to get supplies. One wonders how the people of this country would cope if there was a real urgency for supplies due to the danger of a natural disaster etc.

I am quite happy to enjoy September, October, November and December for what they are, without having to worry about Christmas. I normally do my shopping on Christmas Eve with a glowing feeling that I have not burst a blood vessel or was sad enough to start before then. It must be a very empty existence if you have to worry about Christmas more than a few days beforehand (obviously excluding ordering and pickng up the turkey).

But christmas shopping is FUN!!!!! For me, it's another excuse to go shopping :)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Don't be so pompous BOF.
When half the family live at the other end of the country then planning has to be ahead to make sure they get their presents in time.
I don't want to miss any Albion games so delivery of said presents has to be in advance so that they aren't late.
Perhaps when you have children and grandchildren to think of, you may start planning earlier.
Sad doesn't come into it.
Its what Amazon was made for - no crowds, no jingle bells, no beggars with santa hats, no Slade (again), no stress. :D Just one enormous credit card bill :(

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Are you sure they are for Christmas? When I lived in Huddersfield the Asians used decorative lights to celebrate Eid (although that was a couple of weeks ago now) or Divali.

You may be right. Do either the celebration of Eid or Divali involve dangling icicles, snowmen in top hats and fat blokes in beards dressed in red suits?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
But christmas shopping is FUN!!!!! For me, it's another excuse to go shopping :)

Good things come to those who wait. I find there is a certain buzz on Christmas Eve. Knowing glances from other shoppers that they have 'left it too late', fewer people than the previous MONTHS, friendly/chatty staff who are winding down for Christmas and so on. Bliss!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here