Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Christmas shopping

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
My sentiments too, BoF-meister.

I hate the whole thing of being pressurised into Christmas by retailers, simply so they can reward their f***-wit shareholders in the City.

I like a simple Christmas, and don't even think about it until Christmas Eve. I'll get a few beers in, some logs for the fire and that is about it. On Christmas Eve (if I'm not working) I like to stoke up the fire, pour a glass of red wine, switch off the lights and listen to the midnight carol service from King's College on Radio 4. Perfect. Well, for me, anyway.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Good things come to those who wait. I find there is a certain buzz on Christmas Eve. Knowing glances from other shoppers that they have 'left it too late', fewer people than the previous MONTHS, friendly/chatty staff who are winding down for Christmas and so on. Bliss!

I used to HATE working on christmas eve, but then i see what you mean about it being less busy. Good things come to those who wait - but im overly impatient!!!!

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
I'm not buying Christmas presents this year. Instead, I am going to make cakes for my relatives. Shopping sucks.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
You may be right. Do either the celebration of Eid or Divali involve dangling icicles, snowmen in top hats and fat blokes in beards dressed in red suits?

Not that I saw but you never know.
The council lights in Huddersfield were very non descript to take all faiths into account. They'd go up at the beginning of October and have 'Happy Holidays' across the street.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ok British Asian (as defined by themselves)

They were 'some Asians in Huddersfield' just now. A few minutes on you know their names (all Hussein, it seems) and how they all ethnically refer to themselves. Incredible! ;)

Back on topic, I'm a notorious late shopper - get some bits before Christmas Eve but am often dashing round the shops at the last minute. This year, and I'm not sure why, I've started already. Although the shops are obviously gearing up, there's still not much of a Christmas rush on and I'll be delighted if I'm all but done before it begins.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
They were 'some Asians in Huddersfield' just now. A few minutes on you know their names (all Hussein, it seems) and how they all ethnically refer to themselves. Incredible! ;)

Back on topic, I'm a notorious late shopper - get some bits before Christmas Eve but am often dashing round the shops at the last minute. This year, and I'm not sure why, I've started already. Although the shops are obviously gearing up, there's still not much of a Christmas rush on and I'll be delighted if I'm all but done before it begins.

Ok Darren the lights I saw for Eid were my next door neighbours at the time. I wasn't going to be so specific but you insisted.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
My sentiments too, BoF-meister.

I hate the whole thing of being pressurised into Christmas by retailers, simply so they can reward their f***-wit shareholders in the City.

I like a simple Christmas, and don't even think about it until Christmas Eve. I'll get a few beers in, some logs for the fire and that is about it. On Christmas Eve (if I'm not working) I like to stoke up the fire, pour a glass of red wine, switch off the lights and listen to the midnight carol service from King's College on Radio 4. Perfect. Well, for me, anyway.

Exactly! If Ebeneezer Scrooge taught us anything, it is the simple things that count. I wander past Woolworths on my way to the station each morn and they had Christmas adverts up in SEPTEMBER! Christmas should be about having fun and spending time with those you want to, not traipsing round shops in October and giving yourself a hernia with worry that you might not get the right present for Winnifred, your Great Aunt twice removed (from your home, due to the smell of urine).

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
:lolol:

I appreciate that it takes longer when people have an extended family, but one shopping trip and a trip to the post office should suffice, if you are really good at planning. :D

The cost of posting everything is more expensive than the actual presents.
My son is coming down to visit so he is taking everything back up north this year but generally we make a trip up north near the end of Oct or in Nov to deliver them.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was in a massive out of town Woolworths in South Bristol today. I wasn't there to Christmas shop, although I did get a couple of very small bits, but I found the atmosphere in the store really quite curious.

There were very few customers about, but a lot of staff and they were all very busy, involved in things such as discussions as to the effectiveness of their displays and the like. The shop was absolutely bursting with merchandise - it was piled high. I commented that it was like wandering around a shop minutes before opening of Christmas shopping. Certainly a far cry from the decimated shelves I'm used to perusing late on in the day.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I used to HATE working on christmas eve, but then i see what you mean about it being less busy. Good things come to those who wait - but im overly impatient!!!!

I hope Dave The Gaffer keeps the presents under lock and key before Christmas day! I normally make a day of it and have some beers with friends on Christmas Eve , apres shopping expedition. Give it a go, much MUCH more satisfying. A cool beer with smug satisfaction that I hae not grown a few grey hairs dashing about in Autumn.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Who's been dashing? Starting early means a lot more leisurely shopping (after all I work in the centre of Brighton and do a little bit in my lunch break)
I have been shopping for 3 weeks now and nearly finished my Christmas list. There is also a lot more choice because the shops haven't sold out of the more popular lines.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I hope Dave The Gaffer keeps the presents under lock and key before Christmas day! I normally make a day of it and have some beers with friends on Christmas Eve , apres shopping expedition. Give it a go, much MUCH more satisfying. A cool beer with smug satisfaction that I hae not grown a few grey hairs dashing about in Autumn.

Thus far, I've very much enjoyed my browsing; picking up the odd thing here and there. Far more relaxing than a mad dash on Christmas Eve.

I guess a factor is how many people you have to buy for. I have quite a few people and presents are usually quite a big thing - expectations are high! We can argue the merits of that, of course, but it does impact how easy it is to whip round an hour or two before the shops close.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Thus far, I've very much enjoyed my browsing; picking up the odd thing here and there. Far more relaxing than a mad dash on Christmas Eve.

I guess a factor is how many people you have to buy for. I have quite a few people and presents are usually quite a big thing - expectations are high! We can argue the merits of that, of course, but it does impact how easy it is to whip round an hour or two before the shops close.

True. I live close to the centre, so if I end up buying something of a certain size, then I am able to nip back in.

I can see the merits of both methods, but I prefer the danger of buying on Xmas Eve. It is never a mad dash. All shops are in close proximity and if you are ever stuck for a present, then Snoopers Paradise will sort that out. My gripe is with those that have everything sorted with a month or so to go. That is not festive, that is compulsive obsessive stupidity.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

True enough. I don't buy presents for anyone, and neither receive nor expect any gifts either. Admittedly, this does somewhat lighten the burden of Christmas shopping....

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey

There is a very strict no peeking rule in our house - around the tree is a no go zone when the pressies have been wrapped!!!

That does sound good, but then christmas eve is muppets christmas carol watching time with my sister! But i dont dash for them, it takes me about 6-7 trips in at "off peak" times where i can just enjoy shopping!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here