Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] chris wood to arabia-on-tyne

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Interesting approach from Newcastle: they've now bought two players who are the wrong side of 30, something most PL clubs won't consider. Certainly, it's the polar opposite of the Brighton approach.
They do have proven PL performers but ones with a limited lifespan (particularly Wood, who already looks like he's past his prime) so they'll have to dip into the market again next season. It's not exactly a way to build a club.

On the other hand, their short term aim is to avoid relegation so maybe it's an approach they need right now

That looks to be their thinking. The long term success of the project is predicated on survival this season, so they're going for experience over youth. Kick the kids off the park.

It should be entertaining, but not all that pretty.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I said "bought": Welbeck and Lallana cost nothing. You could have added Veltman but he cost peanuts. Newcastle have spaffed £32m (at least, there are probably add-ons) on Trippier and Wood.

They are doing it exactly the right way, they have a bottomless pit of money. Stay up and they can bin the players that they bring in to keep them up. Annoying, as it will probably work, where’s the fun in that for the rest of the football world.

Of every ex Albion player, except Mickey Thomas, Chris Wood is the one I dislike the most in all my time following the Albion. Guaranteed to score against us and milk it too

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
They are doing it exactly the right way, they have a bottomless pit of money. Stay up and they can bin the players that they bring in to keep them up. Annoying, as it will probably work, where’s the fun in that for the rest of the football world.

Of every ex Albion player, except Mickey Thomas, Chris Wood is the one I dislike the most in all my time following the Albion. Guaranteed to score against us and milk it too

Icy - do you believe that Trippier and Wood are the types of players that will keep them up?

I don't.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I said "bought": Welbeck and Lallana cost nothing. You could have added Veltman but he cost peanuts. Newcastle have spaffed £32m (at least, there are probably add-ons) on Trippier and Wood.

You don’t know what signing on fees they had. Only free in a sense we didn’t pay another club but take your point.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Burnley must have thought all their Christmas's have come at once.
Cracking bit of business for them, with the parachute payments due next year they will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
he's hit nearly 50 PL goals in 4 and a half seasons. his form may have dropped slightly but he's still a quality player

Boo!

(you're quite right).

Boo!

:wink:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It's a good signing for Newcastle if he doesn't play a single minute because of how it weakens Burnley. Sounds like a classic Staveley-type deal, the scheming *****. Clever. :D

Think you might be over thinking it, Wood seems to have lost it of late. One final payday for him before we retires in New Zealand....

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I can see their thinking, as well as weakening a rival, they have some talent behind the striker in Maximan, Almiron, in a recently improved Joelinton in more of a midfield role. They might just feel they need a striker up there not necessarily smashing in 10 goals in 18 games, but one who just keeps the centre halves honest in games, holding it up, leading the line, creating a bit of space.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Burnley must have thought all their Christmas's have come at once.
Cracking bit of business for them, with the parachute payments due next year they will be laughing all the way to the bank.

And laughing all the way back to the Championship too mayhap? It's certainly a big gamble on their part, who else do they have who is a regular source of goals? Ok he hasn't scored many so far this season, but he is at least capable of doing so..

Unless of course the club are prepared to accept relegation, and a chance to regroup.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
That's what I though initially, but he's also pretty much Burnley's only source of goals and will be a huge miss for them which in turn benefits Newcastle.

He'll score a couple of goals for Blood Money United and may even keep them up. Ultimately, £22m is nothing to them so if it works there's no real impact to them financially. They're a team that can afford short term signings and not bat an eyelid.

Very much agree. They need a ready made Prem striker now who can get goals - he may not be prolific but unless he's injured he should help them survive.

They can't do what we are doing and buy for the future (such as Kozlowski, Caicedo, Sima, Ulrick Ella and others for the future) hoping one or two will develop into real assets in the longer term. They need ready made players now. Trippier and Wood are the sort of players they should be getting that can help them now, not tomorrow, although they are still expensive, but if it keeps them up it will be worth it. They can then have a complete re-evaluation in the summer and go for longer term players.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
They can't do what we are doing and buy for the future (such as Kozlowski, Caicedo, Sima, Ulrick Ella and others for the future) hoping one or two will develop into real assets in the longer term. They need ready made players now. Trippier and Wood are the sort of players they should be getting that can help then now, not tomorrow, although they are still expensive, but if it keeps them up will be worth it. They can then have a complete reevaluation in the summer and go for longer term players.

Owners like them, want everything now, they will not be buying for the future for a long while.
The job at Newcastle is buy now to survive, then it will be buy to either a: get promoted or b: stabilise.
Then the all the proceeding seasons will be improve now, now, now....

If I was a Newcastle fan (thank sweet jebus I am not) but I would be worried about the long term plans for the club.
Blood money never lasts forever, they are just one coup d'état away from losing everything.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It is not a terrible signing. Over his whole career (incl international level) hes a 1 in 3 striker. With PL experience can hit the ground running so it is a good buy for any lower half PL club

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
wood.jpg

:lolol:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I've heard people say they reckon its about £20 million. Which sounds a lot, but thats the going rate. We paid that for Maupay. Brentford wanted at least £30 for Toney before he'd even played in the Prem. Alright he'll have no resale value, but that's the luxury position Newcastle are in now, they don't need to worry about that. They can afford to buy players that will do a job for them right now. And I think Wood will do that for them.

The flip side is Burnley won't be able to get a ready made Prem striker for 20 mil, they will have to take a punt on a championship striker. I think it's a real blow for Burnley and a really good signing for Newcastle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here