Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] chris wood to arabia-on-tyne

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Probably been mentioned already but hypothetically the Albion have £20-25m to buy a striker. Welbs gets another injury and we know about the clause in Wood’s contract. Yes he doesn’t fit our usual mould of player profile but he is a known quantity and could help us achieve that elusive <13th place record highest finish. Do we buy him?

Possibly - if Newcastle have been stupid enough to put a £20-£25M buy out clause in his shiny new contract.

So maybe not, then ...............

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
For Newcastle I think it might not be equally good. They build a team strategically with long-term intentions or tactically just trying to survive/get promoted immediatly and they went with the latter meaning they are stuck with these 30+ players for several years which might delay their ambition to become a top team.

Naaah, Newcastle's owners, and fvans, will demand almost instant success. They will throw silly money at the team, in order to hopefully keep them in tghe Premier League this season, or failing that to win promotion from the Championship next time out.

I doubt very much that lon g term strategic success will be part of their thinking at the moment. It's Premier League or bust.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
For a team who create minimal chances, the one kind of striker you want is an arial threat. A cross into the box is MUCH easier than trying to work it in there on the ground.

If an aerial threat is all that's required, why did Newcastle get rid of Andy Carroll? He had nothing to his game but his heading ability. I think there's more to Wood than his power in the air

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
If an aerial threat is all that's required, why did Newcastle get rid of Andy Carroll? He had nothing to his game but his heading ability. I think there's more to Wood than his power in the air

Didn’t see his two outstanding efforts the other night then ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Yes they've overpaid but it doesn't matter to them. I think it's pretty much a perfect signing for what they need (and what is achievable) right now.

Ignore the 3 goals this season. Chris Wood helps bring the whole team further up the pitch. If Wood can help bring Joelinton, Saint-Max, Willock etc into the attack and scoring then that's as good as him scoring. For a team who create minimal chances, the one kind of striker you want is an arial threat. A cross into the box is MUCH easier than trying to work it in there on the ground.

Ultimately, Toon will be relegated/survive based on their defence. At St James' you will always back them to get a goal in a strong atmosphere. The issue is the sheer amount of goals they concede. Sorting out at least 2 more defenders is the major issue for them in this window.

Can’t say I agree based on what I’ve seen of Newcastle since Howe took over, they try to spring counter attacks and play fast… Chris Wood isn’t exactly a mobile or fast player, we’ll see but I’m not convinced he will be the answer to their toothless attack, he’s nowhere near as good as Wilson, who he is being brought in to replace.

It does weaken Burnley significantly though so it make work for Newcastle in that way, it’s actually a tough period for Newcastle because the atmosphere can get pretty toxic if they sense players aren’t giving their all… are a load of overpaid mercenaries going to garner support of the Newcastle fans?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Where did I say it is all that is required? I literally wrote a bit before hand about how he helps teams get up the pitch.

An aerial threat is a huge help to a team who create minimal chances. You can be an aerial threat AND good on the floor.

Look at our goal at Chelsea. Welbeck came on and it provided an option to put a cross in. It's not negative. Welbeck is an excellent player and ALSO offers more of an aerial threat.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Didn’t see his two outstanding efforts the other night then ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think so too, perhaps the reason why we have seen so little of his ball skills in recent times, is because Burnley rely so heavily on trying to score from set pieces, and like the to play with the ball in the air most of the time.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It seems counter intuitive, but I reckon that there's an outside chance that this sparks a Burnley improvement. They are a logic defying bunch, repeatedly staying in the league against the financial odds largely through their manager's excellent organisational and motivational skills. This kind of smack in the teeth may be the thing Dyche needs to spark a revival of the bloody mindedness that his players seem to have been missing this year. Wood is a big loss, but he's been out injured before and Burnley have found a way. There is every chance that they may do again. I for one would laugh my socks off if they do so at Newcastle's cost. It would be doubly funny if an improved Burnley dropped Leeds into the bottom three too.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Wilson is out for 8 weeks so Chris Wood is replacing him which I would argue is a downgrade so Newcastle have only strengthened at full back which is hardly going to be enough to turn their awful first half of the season around.

I have seen nothing so far to suggest they are not still right in the shit

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wilson is out for 8 weeks so Chris Wood is replacing him which I would argue is a downgrade so Newcastle have only strengthened at full back which is hardly going to be enough to turn their awful first half of the season around.

I have seen nothing so far to suggest they are not still right in the shit

They're going to be in the shit until the last game of the season I would think, however they only need to achieve being a little less shit than 3 other teams, one of whom looks completely dead and buried already. None of them look like having dramatic turnarounds at this point, so all they need their turnaround to be is fractionally better than 3 teams around them manage. 30, 31, 32 points could well be enough.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Unfortunately this shows we have moved more towards a strategy game being played out on a board rather than an elite sport played on grass. It's exactly the opposite of where football needs to go £20million for a player worth £5milion? Will only inflate prices further.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I secretly hope that Chris Woods will live up to the national stereotype of New Zealanders - a bit odd but genuine and decent at heart.
And his plan is to take the money and then do f*ck all - thus killing two birds with one stone. Getting the Saudi's relegated and stashing his funds for a long and happy retirement back home.

I know, I know...Indulge me on this one.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Unfortunately this shows we have moved more towards a strategy game being played out on a board rather than an elite sport played on grass. It's exactly the opposite of where football needs to go £20million for a player worth £5milion? Will only inflate prices further.

I think that ship has long since sailed. Cannot see this having any impact on other prices whatsoever. If ManUtd can buy Harry Maguire for £80m, then I don't think we need to worry about Chris Wood impacting the markets.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think that ship has long since sailed. Cannot see this having any impact on other prices whatsoever. If ManUtd can buy Harry Maguire for £80m, then I don't think we need to worry about Chris Wood impacting the markets.

It's not just the money but the scheming to disrupt a competitor. Yes the ship has sailed but that ship is now turbo powered....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here