[Football] chris wood to arabia-on-tyne

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
nearly completed apparently

[tweet]1480970026706423811[/tweet]

that's burnley relegated if that goes through, shirely?

And, with '3-goals-this-season' Wood, that's Newcastle relegated too. What are they thinking? ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It’s a surprisingly sensible signing to me. Makes sense. They are effectively in a four club battle with Norwich Watford and Burnley and they have just stolen a 10+ goals a season man from their rivals. Shrewd. I don’t like Newcastle or smug Eddie but this is a good signing for them. The big cash will be spent in the summer when other clubs will be more willing to release their players.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
But someone said that buyout clauses didn't exist.

It would be well funny if both Burnley and Newcastle were to go down now.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's a good signing for Newcastle if he doesn't play a single minute because of how it weakens Burnley. Sounds like a classic Staveley-type deal, the scheming *****. Clever. :D

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's a good signing for Newcastle if he doesn't play a single minute because of how it weakens Burnley. Sounds like a classic Staveley-type deal, the scheming *****. Clever. :D

I’m really not convinced it particularly weakens Burnley. Wood hasn’t really played well at all this season (or the tail end of last). I guess it could be that he is just suffering because of the team’s poor form / lack of chances. Time will tell.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Yes - but as has already been pointed out, Burnley now have £20m to spend! It could end up being an incredible deal for them - without the release clause I can’t imagine that Wood was worth more than £10m?

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
I’m really not convinced it particularly weakens Burnley. Wood hasn’t really played well at all this season (or the tail end of last). I guess it could be that he is just suffering because of the team’s poor form / lack of chances. Time will tell.

Lets just hope he passes the medical , so we can find out !:p

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Burnley can sign some real diamonds with that £22m. Look at cornet cost for example. Could backfire. Burnley will be fired up more now too. But overtaking them isn’t enough.

Newcastle v watford this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Burnley can sign some real diamonds with that £22m. Look at cornet cost for example. Could backfire. Burnley will be fired up more now too. But overtaking them isn’t enough.

Newcastle v watford this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be great if Burnley trouser the £22m, buy a bright up and coming player for half that and said player scores enough goals to keep them up.

And the money for old wood is wasted.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Yes. Though you know he’ll score against us…..

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Interesting approach from Newcastle: they've now bought two players who are the wrong side of 30, something most PL clubs won't consider. Certainly, it's the polar opposite of the Brighton approach.
They do have proven PL performers but ones with a limited lifespan (particularly Wood, who already looks like he's past his prime) so they'll have to dip into the market again next season. It's not exactly a way to build a club.

On the other hand, their short term aim is to avoid relegation so maybe it's an approach they need right now

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Interesting approach from Newcastle: they've now bought two players who are the wrong side of 30, something most PL clubs won't consider. Certainly, it's the polar opposite of the Brighton approach.
They do have proven PL performers but ones with a limited lifespan (particularly Wood, who already looks like he's past his prime) so they'll have to dip into the market again next season. It's not exactly a way to build a club.

On the other hand, their short term aim is to avoid relegation so maybe it's an approach they need right now

Welbeck, Lallana???

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Be great if Burnley trouser the £22m, buy a bright up and coming player for half that and said player scores enough goals to keep them up.

And the money for old wood is wasted.

Perhaps.

But as we know fully well, signing a striker who is able to succeed in the Premier League is incredibly hard. I actually think the EPL is the hardest league to score in, in the world.

Burnley are looking at ‘two’ foreign options apparently, but they really do bulk at paying out a large transfer fees until they have to which is kind of funny because Mee & Tarkowski are running down their contracts and will both leave on frees in 6 months meaning they’ll have to be opening their dust covered cheque book a lot soon.

I’d be surprised if Burnley do find a player the level of Wood.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here