Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Iwulemo (Transfer Rumour)

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
Charlton want Colchester striker Chris Iwulemo to shoot them straight back into the top-flight. (The Daily Star)

And to think that McGhee released him because he thought he wasn't good enough for the Championship. I'm pro-McGhee. But he called that one wrong.

Sorry if fixtures.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
unnameable said:

And to think that McGhee released him because he thought he wasn't good enough for the Championship. I'm pro-McGhee. But he called that one wrong.

That's not true. McGhee wanted to sign him, but Iwelumo wanted a 'relocation package', meaning we'd have to pay for a house for him. We couldn't afford that, so off he went to Germany.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Iwelumo is a battering ram. If you're going to bring him in, you need someone feeding off his scraps.

McGhee didn't release him - I think CI turned down the CONE TRACT on offer and went to Aachen.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Re: Re: Chris Iwulemo (Transfer Rumour)

Withdean Wanderer said:
That's not true. McGhee wanted to sign him, but Iwelumo wanted a 'relocation package', meaning we'd have to pay for a house for him. We couldn't afford that, so off he went to Germany.
So when he wanted to come back, why didn't we take him? One of two reasons presumably, either McGhee didn't think he was good enough, or McGhee's ego and pride got in the way.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Re: Re: Re: Chris Iwulemo (Transfer Rumour)

Silent Bob said:
So when he wanted to come back, why didn't we take him? One of two reasons presumably, either McGhee didn't think he was good enough, or McGhee's ego and pride got in the way.

Thats right he ASKED to come back.

Magoon said nope not good enough - probably coz his nose was put out of joint with the initial refusal. So off he went to colchester, rest as they say is history....

Silent Bob said:

No, we probably had used the money on something else, as he wasn't coming back to us.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
All managers have players that come back to bite them. No one was kickingup a massive stink when we didn't re-sign Iwelumo.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Chris Iwulemo (Transfer Rumour)

Storer68 said:
No, we probably had used the money on something else, as he wasn't coming back to us.
Nope, I'm pretty sure this was before we invested in Turienzo. :)

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chris Iwulemo (Transfer Rumour)

Silent Bob said:
Nope, I'm pretty sure this was before we invested in Turienzo. :)

McSplammon?

Silent Bob said:

Or money perhaps?

Would you re-employ somebody who pissed off at the first opportunity because the club didn't give in to his unreasonable demands? At our level and with our finances there is no way we could meet his demands. Do it for him then you set the standard and every bugger would want the same treatment to join the Albion.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Withdean Wanderer said:
Why is everything always seen as McGhee's fault?:nono:

and how long can he get the blame for us being shit. I reckon at least two more seasons :lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Iwulemo wanted a re-location payment as house prices are more expensive in the South and Knight turned him down if I remember correctly.

It is not as if footballers get paid enough already - bloody cheek IMHO and the right decision.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Chris Iwulemo (Transfer Rumour)

Nemesis said:
Or money perhaps?

Would you re-employ somebody who pissed off at the first opportunity because the club didn't give in to his unreasonable demands? At our level and with our finances there is no way we could meet his demands. Do it for him then you set the standard and every bugger would want the same treatment to join the Albion.
When he first left, yes. I'm talking about a year later when he was desperate to come back.

I'm not sure how that would have set a bad standard, he left because we wouldn't give him all he wanted, a year later he wants to come back, seems to me that if anything it sets a good standard.

1066gull

It's history. Get over it. You can't go back. I bet we would of still went down after two seasons if we still got him because McGhee never got the best out of him.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chris Iwulemo (Transfer Rumour)

Silent Bob said:
When he first left, yes. I'm talking about a year later when he was desperate to come back.

I'm not sure how that would have set a bad standard, he left because we wouldn't give him all he wanted, a year later he wants to come back, seems to me that if anything it sets a good standard.

Very rarely does a return to a previous club work out-I think the club made the right decision at the time to let him go and to not re-sign him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here