Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Iwulemo (Transfer Rumour)

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Before we get yet another, tiresome, anti McGhee thread let's remember where this story comes from, The Daily Star, hardly the oracle of truth. There's no quote from Pardew, nor anyone at Charlton confirming they want him.
You know it has been known for that paper to get things wrong from time-to-time.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Kenhead said:
Hes goal at Chesterfield was worth the entrance fee alone

Very true but let us not forget a certain poison dwarf got a few good ones too. Today's hero is tomorrow's chip paper.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Kenhead said:
Hes goal at Chesterfield was worth the entrance fee alone

Wind assisted. Even he was amazed by it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He did a decent job at the time, but I'm sorry, there was NOT a great tidal wave of support in favour of signing him after we went up. A few people were fairly keen, but probably only through lack of perceived alternatives.

You're all looking back with the great benefit of hindsight, and just because he's had one and a half great seasons with Col U, does not mean he would have saved our arses.

There are a stack of factors that make a player hit form at a particular time: style of play, chances created, team spirit, management, confidence, understanding with team mates, right down to intangible things like just having a feeling you're at the right club at the right time.

Iwelumo wasn't bad for us, but I saw nothing at the time to make me think he was the answer to all our problems, and I seriously doubt he'd have gone on to score the goals for us that he has for Col U. I can't fathom why some people think that because certain players are good at one club, they will automatically succeed at others. History is littered with players who have suddenly hit a hot streak and looked like world beaters, yet never recreated it elsewhere.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Yorkie said:
Wind assisted. Even he was amazed by it.

Not as bad as Wayne Andrews who tryed to claim that hes cross was intended as a shot when we lost away at Colchester earlier that season.

That distance our with nothing on, then its worth a strike at goal and it paid off

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Bristol City playoff final was one of the crappest games of the season. In a rare attack, (towards our end) Ilewumo received a superb cross field ball and with yards of space to run into, proceeded to tap it tamely 15 yards wide from about 35 yards out.

He then did f***-all for the rest of the game except win us a crucial penalty 5 minutes from time which got us promoted.

That game was Ilewumo's Albion career in a microcosm. Severely limited, not often great to watch, but did the basics well and played to his strengths. I liked him, but Charlton won't get promoted with him leading the line.

Simster said:
The Bristol City playoff final was one of the crappest games of the season. In a rare attack, (towards our end) Ilewumo received a superb cross field ball and with yards of space to run into, proceeded to tap it tamely 15 yards wide from about 35 yards out.

I thought that was Leon Knight, wih about three minutes hleft wehen we were already a goal up

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chris Iwulemo (Transfer Rumour)

Silent Bob said:
Nope, I'm pretty sure this was before we invested in Turienzo. :)

wasn't that dick knights signing though, as mcghee thought he wasnt good enough and that is why he decided no tto keep him after his trial

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here