Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

chris houghton sacked

Flair

Flairniac
Sep 1, 2010
Suprise suprise my mate who supports the toon is saying it was 'harsh but fair'...

'Fair as in he can't take us any further than he has got us. He's not a manager designed for the Premier League, and we'll never get further with him still in charge. That's why it's harsh, because he's done as much as he can, but we just need someone... better. :/'

Newcastle fans are so deluded..

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
All over Twitter (mainly thanks to woman from BBC) that its Pardews and has been lined up for 2 weeks. Hmmm

Zamora For England

Sep 27, 2006
Hurstpierpoint
Never had much against Newcastle, but 11th in the table, 15/16 games in? As a West Ham fan I'd kill for that.

Don't forget they've only just come back up as well. I hope they go down now, see the egg on the face of Mike Ashley

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I hear the odds have been slashed on Newcastle regaining the 'Joke Club of the Season' award after Pompey selfishly stole it away from them last year.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010

300/1 for gazza, only 20/1 for Poyet...

Next Permanent Newcastle Manager
Football Betting / Next Manager(s) / Next Permanent Newcastle Manager

Alan Pardew 5/6
Martin O'Neill 3/1
Alan Curbishley 9/1
Paul Lambert 12/1
Martin Jol 16/1
Alan Shearer 20/1
Gus Poyet 20/1
Lee Clark 20/1
Peter Beardsley 20/1
Joe Kinnear 25/1
Slavan Bilic 25/1
Steve Clarke 25/1
Stuart Pearce 25/1
David O'Leary 33/1
Kevin Keegan 33/1
Mark Hughes 33/1
Steve Bruce 33/1
Steve McLaren 33/1
Tamuri Ketsbaia 33/1
Chris Waddle 50/1
Paul Ince 50/1
Micky Quinn 100/1
Rob Lee 100/1
Malcom McDonald 200/1
Ronnie Radford 200/1
Paul Gascoinge 300/1

Don't think he's got a licence. I know he's done it before (briefly and temporarily) but this would be a permanent post so would need a UEFA licence (and as they're a Premier LEague club, I asssume that will have to be a class A licence)

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Just how unrealistic can you get .... they are "seeking an individual with more managerial experience to take them forward."

They've whooped Villa and Sunderland, and are sat safely in mid-table. Where did they EXPECT to be?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
One of the few clubs I would worry about Poyet going to..Just my opinon.
The official quote from the board is that they are seeking someone with more managerial experience, so hardly likely!

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Dreadful decision, especially when you think how much of a mess Hughton had to clear up at the start of last season, that he kept most of their key players and took them up in style.

It's not as if they've been doing that badly in the Premier League either - a couple of poor recent results against two sides (Bolton and West Brom) who have become the surprise packages this season.

If the rumours are to be true that Pardew is coming in to replace him (which looks most likely), then that's an even more ludicrous call.

For anyone out there who is really convinced that Gus is the man the Toon are after, he's available to back at 50/1 with BetFred and 55 on Betfair currently.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
And it's a misguided one Kev:

A statement read: "The board would like to place on record their thanks to Chris for his considerable efforts during the club's transition from Championship to Premier League football.

"Chris has shown exceptional character and commitment since being appointed manager in October 2009.

"The club wishes him well for the future. Regrettably the board now feels that an individual with more managerial experience is needed to take the club forward."

Thank god, thats put my mind at rest.......Because we all know we can belive what comes out of Newcastle's board room.

Jimbo26

Jan 25, 2007
Portslade Old Village
Absolute disgrace. Hughton got them up comfortably at the 1st time of asking and has steadied the ship in the Premiership to a certain degree. I sincerely hope those Geordie twats go down now !!!!!!!!!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I don't see it anywhere: Peter Beardsley in temporary charge.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Well done Sol, telling it how it is:

Newcastle defender Sol Campbell criticised the decision.

"This will hit the players hard," he told ESPN Soccernet. "The players admired him and liked him and won't be happy now he's gone like this.

"It makes no sense. Here is a guy who has done an unbelievable job. He got the club back into the Premier League and any manager would have been rewarded for that with a new contract, but Chris wasn't.

"The players are sure to be asking themselves 'what the hell is going on?', that is only natural.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Chris Hughton is such an assuming character, I am not suprised he has been sacked. As the commentator on MOTD2 last night pointed out, Newcastle were in the same position as West Brom, and the contrast is incredible. Di Matteo has received nothing but praise and credit for the job he has done, whereas Hughton has flown under the radar. To me, he's a very good number 2 but not enough of a presence to be a top quality manager. If he's left the club, then they've made a major mistake. He's a very good coach who gets the best out of his players, but he's not a Premier League manager in my humble opinion. He's done a very good job there, but it always felt temporary to me. I could never see him being there too long, but he's been in the job over a year which is a fine achievement in itself, considering the instability of the club.

Martin O'Neill would be a fantastic appointment for them, if they can get him, they should.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here