[Albion] Chelsea vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Both have adapted.
It relates to marginal gains. Important with lesser players. Teams with the best players can mostly play any style they want because ultimately the better players you have the better you are.
We don't. We rely on innovation.
In your opinion!

A good manager develops the system based on the players he has at his disposal when there is a limited budget - in Clubs like us ( and as FH did at St Pauli) that means finding a system that suits your individual players not the other way round and not fitting your players into an “innovative system” as RDZ did - because when those players aren’t available through injury pile ups or red cards, if you have imposed your ’innovative’ system onto the squad , the system crashes as it did under RDZ in the second half of last season..

That is where our strength lies as a team imo - we recruit young individual talent because Starlizard works. Starlizard is the ‘innovation’.

Ultimately, spending £££s on the best players doesn’t necessarily make you the “best” team - Chelsea have got through half a dozen managers and only now looking like a team who could be challenging for a Championship position - after spending a net £795m over the past 5 years.

Last edited:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
At least we didn't get hooned into next week, even though we deserved to be.

Surely the only way this formation/approach works is if you play wing backs with three pacey CBs. Yet we sign 10 wingers and zero pacey CBs, despite having zero pacey CB's? Weird one.

Hurzeler needs a good look at his tactics as our performances have fallen short three games in a row now and we're getting exploited in the same way each time, and have even been riding our luck to an extent. Son, Kulusevski and Johnson will have a field day if we play like that.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Leicester going down by the same score line as us at the arse, they were drawing 2-2 until they decided to replace goodnight !
That’ll learn em !

boik

Just checked the stats. I was listening and know we were lucky to get away without a cricket score, but the stats read that it was close!

Overall Possession​

CHE
40.8%

BHA
59.2%
Chelsea 40.8%Brighton & Hove Albion 59.2%

Shots​

Chelsea 15Brighton & Hove Albion 15

Shots on target​

Chelsea 7Brighton & Hove Albion 5

Shots off target​

Chelsea 5Brighton & Hove Albion 5

Blocked shots​

Chelsea 3Brighton & Hove Albion 5

Total touches in the box​

Chelsea 27Brighton & Hove Albion 29

CHE

BHA

Goalkeeper saves​

Chelsea 4Brighton & Hove Albion 2

Aerial duels won​

Chelsea 7Brighton & Hove Albion 11

Fouls​

Chelsea 11Brighton & Hove Albion 8

Corners​

Chelsea 8Brighton & Hove Albion 2

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
A bit of perspective needed I think. Chelsea are improving rapidly and we need to learn to stop playing such a high line, especially away from home. Plenty to work on, but we still have players to come back.

A beer or two tonight - remember it's only a game!
Good post.

The high line is an issue allied to the lack of pace at the back.

But I’ve a feeling that Hürzeler learns his lessons. I think he’ll find solutions.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Seriously though, not concerned at all. We were always down to lose today, Chelsea are absolutely flying and the two key injuries in our defence pretty much sealed it for me. I’d predicted 5-1 but I was concerned we’d get thunderspanked in the second half. They actually should’ve had 3-4 more but for poor finishing and Webster/Dunk recovery blocks and tackles.

This is a really tough run - it’s the Forest but particularly Ipswich games which sting.

Can I just say I posted previously about our summer spend, and to temper expectation given we are simply replacing players long since gone with talents which will need time and patience to develop. We can’t afford ready made - that’s why Chelsea have spent over £1.1bn to buy World Cup winners and a massive squad of proven players.

£200m was to MAINTAIN our standing, not go to one of the best teams in the country presently and win.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
That really was a game of two halves.

First half really exposed the lack of pace we have in defense, and how much better Van Hecke is than Webster, who certainly doesn't have the quality of the rest of the team anymore.

Some of our attacking play in the first half was exceptional - but the defending was absolutely atrocious, not helped by the high line of our slow defense, which was purposely exploited by the pacy Chelsea attack.

The 2nd half was not really an improvement, but Chelsea calmed it down and made it harder for us to break them. It worked.

Chelsea are still a much stronger team than us, can you imagine if we had the likes of Palmer in our squad. We shouldn't feel too downhearted about this defeat.

Lots of positives - Baleba still looking immense this season. Georginio improving all the time. Ferdi looked quality considering it was only his first start.

Onwards and upwards. This young, new Albion squad will continue to improve & learn throughout this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here