Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelmsford awarded city status

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Yes. I stand by my point :)

I'm going to have to dig out the list of applicant towns, just for a laugh. Would be brilliant if Gillingham had applied :D

Medway was on the list:

Reading
Milton Keynes
Bolton
Blackpool
Medway
Guildford
Colchester
Luton
Cheltenham
Ipswich
Bury St Edmunds
Middlesbrough
Balleymena
Llanelli
Wrexham
Perth
Southend
Chelmsford
St Austell
Tower Hamlets
Guildford
Swindon
Maidstone
Doncaster
Dunfermline
Ayr and Anglesey
Paisley
Shrewsbury
Livingstone
Newtown
Aberystwyth
Stockport
Hamilton
Kilmarnock
Coleraine
Omagh
St Asaph
Downpatrick

Medway was on the list:

Reading
Milton Keynes
Bolton
Blackpool
Medway
Guildford
Colchester
Luton
Cheltenham
Ipswich
Bury St Edmunds
Middlesbrough
Balleymena
Llanelli
Wrexham
Perth
Southend
Chelmsford
St Austell
Tower Hamlets
Guildford
Swindon
Maidstone
Doncaster
Dunfermline
Ayr and Anglesey
Paisley
Shrewsbury
Livingstone
Newtown
Aberystwyth
Stockport
Hamilton
Kilmarnock
Coleraine
Omagh
St Asaph
Downpatrick
Ayr and Anglesey : was that a joint bid?!
Your list looks a little suspect ! Where are Corby, Dudley, Dumfries, Goole, Dorchester etc. that appeared in the list on here Tiny Welsh town (pop 3500) granted city status- and it cost them just £300 - Yahoo! News UK
And the towns who missed out on the Diamond Jubilee city bid were:

Bolton, Bournemouth, Colchester, Coleraine, Corby, Craigavon, Croydon, Doncaster, Dorchester, Dudley, Dumfries, Gateshead, Goole, Luton, Medway, Middlesbrough, Milton Keynes, Reading, Southend, St Austell, Stockport, Tower Hamlets and Wrexham.

Last edited:

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
The only ones left on that list worthy were Colchester, Guildford, Ipswich (County town of Suffolk) and Shrewsbury (County town of Shropshire). Reading also as Royal Berkshire has no cities.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Some on the list are bloody laughable.

Southend? Luton? Medway? What exactly is Medway anyway? There's about five towns in that, one of which is Gillingham. Clearly undeserved then. Croydon?? Tower Hamlets? Middlesbrough? Corby? Goole, Gateshead & Dudley?

Sounds like a massive ego trip for a few town councillors.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Originally cities were called a city because they had a Anglican cathedral, then in the last 150 years city status has been granted to 'towns' with a large population.

Worth pointing out especially when people attempt to point out that cities without a cathedral aren't really cities and non Cathedral city status is a modern thing.

I read that on here recently.

Birmingham for instance didn't have a Cathedral when given city status.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The only ones left on that list worthy were Colchester, Guildford, Ipswich (County town of Suffolk) and Shrewsbury (County town of Shropshire). Reading also as Royal Berkshire has no cities.

Aberystwyth has a huge university, a National Library, Welsh TV HQ and Welsh Assembly offices, and is an administrative centre for a huge area. Oh, and a Premier League football team.

Just saying...

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I think that list of applicants should actually be much shorter, I don't think Guildford actually applied to join the competition in the end - certainly if they did apply they didn't bother informing their residents or actually actively campaigning for it!

:lol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Worth pointing out especially when people attempt to point out that cities without a cathedral aren't really cities and non Cathedral city status is a modern thing.

I read that on here recently.

Birmingham for instance didn't have a Cathedral when given city status.

Also traditionally had to be an Anglican cathedral, didn't it? Hence the reason Arundel was never a city, because the cathedral is a Catholic one.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
According to Popbitch it was Croydon's SIXTH application for city status, and the sixth rejection.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here