Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

charlie austin

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
They are supposed to have turned down 1.5m or so from Hull but I very much doubt that was the actual (up-front) fee - much more likely to be composed of lots of add-ons based on maybe's and what-ifs. I doubt the cash on the table was as much as a million and that would be in installments.

The reason we got Noone for a knockdown price was a combination of their circumstances and our ability to slap the cash down on the table there and then.

Swindon don't seemingly need the cash so unless Austin wants to go I doubt they will sell in this window. And even if he does want to go, will it be enough to offer the chance of promotion when sides who are already up there are sniffing around?

Realistically I just don't see it.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I cant see us signing another striker , I think making Woods a signing till end of the season was about all we will get , Gus has always said that hes not keen on the January transfer window and if he does do anything he likes it early doors, i'm sure we would have heard something by now.

As for Charlie Austin is this what we are really aspring to as a hopefully championship club yeah he had a stunning season last year but he seems to be keeping Swindon going this year as they are hardly setting the division alight.

the threat of a new striker has obviously filtered through to the ones we have and they seem to be now hitting the net with a regular occurence.

On a side note - I see that Woods was interviewed this w/e and talked about "us" playing in the new stadium next year. May have been a slip of the tongue but one to start the conspriacy theorists going.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
To be honest, if Murray can consistently play at the level of the last few games, and it was a straight choice, i think would stick with Murray

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
there is also a rumour he will go to QPR in the summer

...............................you pays yer money and you takes yer choice

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think the best thing for us is for Austin to stay at Swindon in this window. He isn't going to join us in league 1, if at all, but if we're a Championship club come next summer, it'll put us on a much better footing and it might even give us the advantage over the others because we're not far from Swindon where he lives, and we are a club going places. If we can sign him in january, then fantastic. But I think with Murray, Barnes, Wood, Sandaza and Holroyd all in the squad, I don't really think we need to another striker this window. Let's keep the squad settled until the summer and then make any changes we want to make. Hopefully, it'll work out and Austin will be available from Swindon in the summer, but if we miss out on him then there are other strikers out there.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I honestly can't see it happening, I don't think we could afford what Swindon would want for him and I don't think the player would want to come here with bigger clubs interested. Its fantasy. Austin to Leeds or Birmingham but not Brighton.

He seems a bit of a cock anyway.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
there is also a runour he will go to QPR in the summer

Considering Jamie Mackie's leg break on saturday, they might decide to move now. I've been hearing about interest from QPR all season, I think they're the most likely to get him. They can afford the fee, and they can afford whatever he wants in wages. And they'll probably be in the Prem next season.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Considering Jamie Mackie's leg break on saturday, they might decide to move now. I've been hearing about interest from QPR all season, I think they're the most likely to get him. They can afford the fee, and they can afford whatever he wants in wages. And they'll probably be in the Prem next season.

I thought that but Warnock is quoted on the Swindon forum as saying heis struggling to get the cash out of his chairman until the end of the season when they know where they will be for next year

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
If we are going to pay silly money (I mean smash Andy Ritchie's record) I would rather we did it on someone we know will score in The Championship at least.

Austin has only scored in whatever league Poole played in and League One, it is a bit of a gamble. Yes he is prolific at this level, but there is still the question if he can step up to the next level if we make it. (but that can be said of all of our strikers)

But what about your namesake.... Mr Pittman..... look at what he's doing now.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Why does ANYONE include Murray in talks about getting Austin? Totally illogical. We would need Austin alongside Murray, not instead of. They're totally different types of player.

100% agreed...

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Warnock on TalkSport yesterday and spoke at length about not having funds to buy players now - his board want to wait until the end of the season and see where they are. Would be surprised if QPR buy him.

I would agree the Murray rumours are silly - but just to point out that he is out of contract at the end of the season and can talk to other clubs about next season (as well as us) I believe once the window has closed. But whatever hi status, can't see him wanting to go to Swindon.

dannnnn10

Dec 17, 2010
if you were a true brighton supporter you would listen to his interviews after the games and he said after the pompey game he WANTS another striker
I cant see us signing another striker , I think making Woods a signing till end of the season was about all we will get , Gus has always said that hes not keen on the January transfer window and if he does do anything he likes it early doors, i'm sure we would have heard something by now.

As for Charlie Austin is this what we are really aspring to as a hopefully championship club yeah he had a stunning season last year but he seems to be keeping Swindon going this year as they are hardly setting the division alight.

the threat of a new striker has obviously filtered through to the ones we have and they seem to be now hitting the net with a regular occurence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here