Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

charlie austin

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
£1million plus Chris Holroyd, shake hands and everyone is a winner. :thumbsup:

But, like Acker, I'll believe it when I see it. Fantastic player, but I kind of hope it doesn't happen. I won't mind if it does though!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Just to complete the set:

Murray:
18 plus 3 in the League - 11 goals
FA cup - 4 plus 1 - no goals

Sandaza (according to seagulls.co.uk - thought he'd scored more in the League):
1 league game plus 4 as sub - 1 goal
1 fa cup plus 2 sub - 2 goals

Sandaza has three in the FA Cup. Taricco is still, wrongly, credited with the FCUM equaliser.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I don't think he would since that was right after the FC United game which messed up the whole penalty taker situation.

3 less goals in a few more appearances isn't really roughly the same either, over the course of a season.

Barnes is a decent player, but I don't tihnk there's much comparison with Austin at the moment.

Yes indeed but this IS Barnes first full season and Austins second. Point is like Brett says I would like to see someone with pedigree sign if we are going to break the bank.

Also Barnes seems to have his shooting boots back which is a good thing.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
b. £1.5m plus Murray? Utter nonsense.

Why is it nonsense? Serious answer please?

I think from a business sense it would make alot of sense.

You're forgetting that Murray is out of contact in the summer. If he didn't sign a new one, we would lose him on a free.

Swindon would want a proven league 1 goalscorer to replace Austin when he inevitably leaves. Murray would fit this bill.

As I've alluded to in my last post, Bloom has gone on record to say that if the player is the right one, then money's no option (Noone is proof).

Whilst it is purely a rumour, as far as rumours go and compared to some of the other ridiculous names (Keane, Owen, Phillips) that have been bandied about, Austin is probably more of a likely signing than anyone else as he fits the bill of the type of player we would want to sign perfectly and IF, and I realise it's a BIG "IF" this rumour is true, then the whole deal for all parties would be ideal.

That said - I don't want Murray to leave as I think he's been awesome for us this year :bowdown::bowdown:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Austin would be fantastic playing off Murray but he does need to play off someone to get the best out of him.
Keep Murray regardless

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Would Murray be willing to move to Swindon? I'm not sure they would pay as much or more than we would. If he is not going to sign for us, why would he sign for Swindon? Brighton are on an upward curve, Swindon are struggling. We can't make him move to Swindon. Fantasy.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Why is it nonsense? Serious answer please?

I think from a business sense it would make alot of sense.

:

a. Because it seriously over-values Austin

b. Because it seriously undervalues Murray

c. Because it would make ZERO sense for Murray himself, and he would have to agree to it. If Murray moves on, it will be either North, or to a bigger club, or both.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Suspect this is all balls but anything including Murray should be thrown out straight away and why would Murray want to step down just as we are getting to the AMEX and hopefully championship football.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm told from someone at Swindon that they've already turned down £1.5 from a championship side (can't remembe who, I wasn;t paying attention too much). No way will be come here or should we be paying that much or more for him. If we're spending that sort of money, I'm sure there are better we could go for.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Let's get this straight:

Poyet, who regards Murray as one of, if not THE best strikers in the league, is going to give him to Swindon, plus £1.5mill for Austin??
WHAT THE f*** ARE PEOPLE ON ON THIS SITE??

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why does ANYONE include Murray in talks about getting Austin? Totally illogical. We would need Austin alongside Murray, not instead of. They're totally different types of player.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Let's get this straight:

Poyet, who regards Murray as one of, if not THE best strikers in the league, is going to give him to Swindon, plus £1.5mill for Austin??
WHAT THE f*** ARE PEOPLE ON ON THIS SITE??
Exactly right.

I still find it hard to believe that Austin is significantly better than Murray. Glenn Murray is f***ing class.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why does ANYONE include Murray in talks about getting Austin? Totally illogical. We would need Austin alongside Murray, not instead of. They're totally different types of player.

They are, but that in itself isn't relevant. You could buy a striker, with a keeper moving the other way as part of the deal. The main reason that these suggestions are laughable, is the assumption that Murray would agree to signing for them anyway.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Exactly. For someone who supposedly wants/wanted to go up north, Swindon seems a VERY strange place to achieve that.

Touches of Dowie wanting to be nearer the north for his family so he goes from Palace to Charlton :jester:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
They are, but that in itself isn't relevant. You could buy a striker, with a keeper moving the other way as part of the deal. The main reason that these suggestions are laughable, is the assumption that Murray would agree to signing for them anyway.

But it is because it means we would have to buy ANOTHER striker.

I cant see us signing another striker , I think making Woods a signing till end of the season was about all we will get , Gus has always said that hes not keen on the January transfer window and if he does do anything he likes it early doors, i'm sure we would have heard something by now.

As for Charlie Austin is this what we are really aspring to as a hopefully championship club yeah he had a stunning season last year but he seems to be keeping Swindon going this year as they are hardly setting the division alight.

the threat of a new striker has obviously filtered through to the ones we have and they seem to be now hitting the net with a regular occurence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here