Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

charlie austin

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Barnes has scored the same amount of LEAGUE goals hasnt he? Or at the very least only one behind him...and with less games I reckon.

Do we really want him. REALLY?

I'd sort of agree with this, but it really depends on the a transfer fee. £2m would be a waste, in my opinion, on someone who hasn't played higher than League 1 (I don't think he has anyway). If we could get him for 500-750k then I'd say he'd definitely be worth it. Also depends on how likely Murray is to sign his new contract.

Really can't see it happening though

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Team TOT
Wright-Phillips Plymouth 13
Austin Swindon 12
Jackson Charlton 11
Mackail-Smith Peterborough 11
Murray Brighton 11
Hoskins Bristol Rovers 10
Jones Rochdale 10
Pugh Bournemouth 10
Barnes Brighton 9

Thank you....in how many apps?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Was interesting listening to Warnock yesterday on the radio. He has clearly been trying to persuade his board that one or two judicious buys in January will help them be assured of promotion, but the board are hesitating because they want to see where the club is at the end of the season and then spend accordingly. Warnock says that this will mean there is a far greater chance that they will still be in the Championship - something of a self-fulfilling approach. He then went on to say that this year is one of the best chances to get up out of the Championship because it is getting stronger.

Seems to me that TB is backing Gus and they both seem to have decided that some decent signings in January can reinforce the squad. Good on TB and great news because Gus's talent scouts seem to know their stuff. So who knows what might happen!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Thank you....in how many apps?
Austin:
Competition Apps
(as sub) Goals Yellow
Cards Red
Cards
League 17 (1) 12 4 0
FA Cup 3 (0) 3 0 0
League Cup 1 (0) 0 0 0

Barnes:

Competition Apps
(as sub) Goals Yellow
Cards Red
Cards
League 17 (5) 9 4 0
FA Cup 4 (0) 1 0 0

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
If we are going to pay silly money (I mean smash Andy Ritchie's record) I would rather we did it on someone we know will score in The Championship at least.

Austin has only scored in whatever league Poole played in and League One, it is a bit of a gamble. Yes he is prolific at this level, but there is still the question if he can step up to the next level if we make it. (but that can be said of all of our strikers)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Team TOT
Wright-Phillips Plymouth 13
Austin Swindon 12
Jackson Charlton 11
Mackail-Smith Peterborough 11
Murray Brighton 11
Hoskins Bristol Rovers 10
Jones Rochdale 10
Pugh Bournemouth 10
Barnes Brighton 9

I remember when Liverpool signed Michael Robinson. A good striker but not a world beater. He scored a hatful in his first season because he was on the front of a football machine. I wonder if Austin would have scored more having KLL, Elliott et al slinging balls over? Probably.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm bored with the rumour of charlie austin coming to us. I'm going to take no further interest in it until he signs for us, if that ever happens.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
there a rumour on the web from someone who says he's Elliott Bennett's mate saying that Austin is coming here for 1.5 - 1.75 PLUS Murray which would sound more plausible.

It wouldn't surprise me if we bid for this...Bloom said before Xmas that if the right player came along then money would be no object and 2million for a proven goal scorer who would, in my opinion, be able to easily make the step up quite easily to Championship level is worth a punt - especially if he scores 20 goals from now until next January as the club would easily be able to make their money back if they wanted to sell him.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
17 league appearances plus one as a sub - 12 league goals
3 FA Cup appearnaces - 3 goals

2009/10:
32 League appearances plus 4 as sub - 20 goals

Hadn't realised he is 6'2"

Barnes
17 in the League plus 5 as sub - 9 league goals
Fa Cup 4 appearances - 1 goal

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Just to complete the set:

Murray:
18 plus 3 in the League - 11 goals
FA cup - 4 plus 1 - no goals

Sandaza (according to seagulls.co.uk - thought he'd scored more in the League):
1 league game plus 4 as sub - 1 goal
1 fa cup plus 2 sub - 2 goals

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
there a rumour on the web from someone who says he's Elliott Bennett's mate saying that Austin is coming here for 1.5 - 1.75 PLUS Murray which would sound more plausible.

a. Elliott Bennett would have no more knowledge of this stuff than any of us.

b. £1.5m plus Murray? Utter nonsense.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
So roughly on a par then? Who is to say if Barnes was starting every game he may have got to 12.

Lets not forget if he was on the pitch against Stains away he may have taken "that" penalty. And the one at Hudds.

Blue and White Tiger

Exiled to Exeter
Jul 6, 2010
If it means Murray going the other way i'm out.

How about:

Batti
Hart
Hollroyd
and £500k?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
So roughly on a par then? Who is to say if Barnes was starting every game he may have got to 12.

Lets not forget if he was on the pitch against Stains away he may have taken "that" penalty. And the one at Hudds.
I don't think he would since that was right after the FC United game which messed up the whole penalty taker situation.

3 less goals in a few more appearances isn't really roughly the same either, over the course of a season.

Barnes is a decent player, but I don't tihnk there's much comparison with Austin at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here