Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charity Idea - Cycle Ride: Goldstone > Priestfield > Withdean > Falmer

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
In aid of all the Brighton fans that died after leaving The Goldstone and sadly never got to see us play at Falmer.

No idea on the logistics of it, or how many people will do it, it was just an idea that I had after reading this thread (Goldstone, Withdean, Falmer - North Stand Chat) and a friend of mine agreed to do it with me.

It is approximately 120 miles...

So many questions:

What could it be called?

Is it a charity that can be sustained after the ride i.e. other events further along the line?

When would we do it? (First official opening friendly/or first competitive game)

What can the money raised be used for?

Is it even possible to do without using motorways and A roads?

The route?

How many people would be interested?

Can we get a list of all those who have passed away since 26/4/1997?

How do we get people/bikes to Gillingham?

Organising Designated stop points or a driver with first aid/food/drink supplies?

Anyway, thoughts please. We have a fair bit of time to organise it if it goes ahead…..

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think it's a great idea; except of course it should be cycled in the correct order. I am well aware this will double the distance but if you're gonna do it, then do it properly. :thumbsup:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I like that idea, I really do. If you really want to make it a mission, you could follow the stadia in order that the club played at the i.e. Goldstone > Priestfield > Withdean > Falmer.

Bestest of luck to anyone who does this - I really hope it happens.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I think it's a great idea; except of course it should be cycled in the correct order. I am well aware this will double the distance but if you're gonna do it, then do it properly. :thumbsup:

That is something I thought about, but didnt want to put too many people off.

I.e if the first game at Falmer was a Saturday, cycle from The Goldstone to the Priestfield on the Friday, stay in Gillingham on Friday night and then on the morning of the game, cycle to Withdean, then to Falmer

scooter1

How soon is now?
This is a great idea. My father in law was an STH at the Goldstone, Gillingham and Withdean before passing away a few years ago. He went on the Falmer marches when he was well enough and loved the Albion.

Count me in, and i'm happy to help organise if called upon

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That is something I thought about, but didnt want to put too many people off.

I.e if the first game at Falmer was a Saturday, cycle from The Goldstone to the Priestfield on the Friday, stay in Gillingham on Friday night and then on the morning of the game, cycle to Withdean, then to Falmer
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Could be up for that myself.

Nominations for all those that passed away would be difficult to sort out. It'll need a mention in the programme, NSC's help, and maybe some understated way of remembering those people.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Thought it was a good idea. Then you suggested staying in Gillingham!

I'll tell you where I am. I'm out... :tantrum:

peter-jones.jpg

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
According to Google maps (via a walking route - because you would want to avoid motorways):

Goldstone to Priestfield = 59.4 miles
Priestfield to Withdean = 57.9 miles
Withdean to Falmer = 6.5 miles

Total = 123.8 miles.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Just a small thing but where would the money go if its in aid of people who died? Im guessing there is no single charity for them?

Apart from that it sounds well good to me and count me in for it. I'll even plan a route for everyone.

that was one of my questions.

ideally it would go towards some memorial at falmer wether that be a plaque, a garden, a mural, maybe something dedicated to them in the museum.

It is just all an idea in my head at the moment

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
How about the Rockinghorse Appeal?

Ok, this is cheesy, but it would be nice to help those who are starting their lives who need help in memory of those that have lost theirs.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I'm definitely keen, although I'll have to get myself into some kind of training regime pretty sharpish!

I was thinking of it NOT being a race, but more of a peloton type thing, where everyone cycles together, have a chat along the way, but raise a bit for charity.

Obviously we cant have LOADS of people doing it, as it would involve police, road closures, stwearding etc. Something that I think is beyond organising even with 18 or so months to go

I was thinking of it NOT being a race, but more of a peloton type thing, where everyone cycles together, have a chat along the way, but raise a bit for charity.

Obviously we cant have LOADS of people doing it, as it would involve police, road closures, stwearding etc. Something that I think is beyond organising even with 18 or so months to go

Oh yes I wasn't planning on racing it. However I am ridiculously unfit and currently can't cycle more than about 20 miles so 120 would be a bit of a push!

Might be best to decide upon how many you think can do it now, and then see how many are interested. If you have too many, then you could either auction (to those who can raise the most) or raffle the places off.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
It's a brilliant idea, I'd definitely be interested.

We have to do it in the correct order, starting at the Goldstone. Then it illustrates the futility of going to Gillingham. Perhaps we could do it in aid of REMF (Robert is of course one of those who wont see Falmer).

PG

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
that was one of my questions.

ideally it would go towards some memorial at falmer wether that be a plaque, a garden, a mural, maybe something dedicated to them in the museum.

It is just all an idea in my head at the moment

That would be good.

I also dont think I should co-inside with the opening of Falmer. Do it near the time definatly but I think if we do it too close then the whole thing will be over shaddowed!

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
We could in theory have different people doing different parts of it, if you feel unfit/cant get the time off to do it.

i.e.

some people do the whole journey over two days,
some people starting in Giliingham
some people just doing Withdean to Falmer

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
It's a brilliant idea, I'd definitely be interested.

We have to do it in the correct order, starting at the Goldstone. Then it illustrates the futility of going to Gillingham. Perhaps we could do it in aid of REMF (Robert is of course one of those who wont see Falmer).

PG

I was thinking about REMF, but I didnt want to tread on some peoples toes, by the money raised only be recognised under one persons name

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here