Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Characters you remember from the Goldstone Ground days.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Who was ever puzzled by the warning signs posted outside the Goldstone.
'Anti Vandal Paint Used'

It always baffled me as to what anti vandal paint was, was it magic paint that prevented graffiti? NO!!

I later found out exactly what it was after bunking in to a reserve game.

That f***ing stuff ruined my best Farah slacks and it took 3 days to get it off my hands!!:angry:

syrup head

Jul 5, 2003
Worthing
The Wookiee said:
Who was ever puzzled by the warning signs posted outside the Goldstone.
'Anti Vandal Paint Used'

. . . . . . . and it took 3 days to get it off my hands!!:angry:

Still. It covered the white lines for a few days. :lolol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I used to stand on the Chicken run with my Dad for a while. Then I ended up going with my missus. Where we stood was a couple of guys from Sussex Police HQ, one guy called Hewey and the other guy Gordon, I played Cricket with and he was a traffic cop on the A23.

Unfortunately, my Dad used to stand on his own in the middle of the East Terrace and Paul ( my bro) and I used to see him at half time.

Once Barry LLoyd took over, he was so pissed off that he stopped going. Unfortunately he died whist Barry was still in charge and he never got a chance to savour the diabolical events about to enfold with Archer and Bellotti

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
i started going with my dad as well. i was about 9 years old and we always stood in the family enclosure near the south stand (east terrace). stood on my milk crate and we usually got there about an hour or two before kick off because the crowds were huge. this was late 70's. I remember going to watch charlton on easter monday and we had about 32,000 at the goldstone, we were like fcuking sardines!!!

other characters...

we simply called them 'the cures' ...they were a posse of about 4 lads that stood near the front of the north stand just to the left of the goal circa 1995 ish. they dressed a bit like the band 'the cure' hence the name.

then there was a group of lads who we all had 'character' names for. who also stood in the same place. we called them, blonds, forest rows, long coat loons, and pin-head! i think 'blonds' is a taxi driver in burgess hill and maybe he runs brighton fans.com aka goldstone ghost. they used to do a strange thing with coins that they passed between themselves and we overheard them calling it 'money movements'!!! long coat loons sometimes wore a long coat and he ran on the pitch at kingstonian in fa cup and kung fu kicked someone. pin-head or 'pins' as we called him was always immaculately turned out and forest rows was just called that because i think we saw him get his wallet out once and it looked like he was from forest row.

we sat next to them at man utd away in fa cup early 90's and were in front row sat right above standing manure fans. just out of reach we all took great pleasure in giving out tonnes of abuse that day...one bloke in a mustard coloured jacket. we named him 'mustard' was so incensed by us that he was eventually taken out by police. i was worried that he may spot us after as he had lost the plot!!! ha ha ha funny days!!!

also a guy who wore a hibernian hat??? saw him working in the club shop in queens road 4 years ago or so.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
syrup head said:
A song I remember was sung at Nottingham Forest, after we were defeated in a League Cup match. We were in the old Third Division at the time and Forest were riding high in the old First Division and in Europe. During the final few minutes of the match, and as the Albion players trooped off of the pitch, the massed Brighton fans grouped together around the players' tunnel sang,
"We're proud of you,
We're proud of you.
We're proud of you,
We're proud. "
to the tune of Auld Lang Syne.

I remember that but I think we were in the old 2nd division.

Our car had broken down on the way there so I had to hitch a lift back. I went round all the coaches in the coach park in the pouring rain and eventually got a lift in the Varndean school coach.

syrup head

Jul 5, 2003
Worthing
Gwylan said:
I remember that but I think we were in the old 2nd division.

Yes. You are absolutely right. We were playing in the old Second Division at that time.

The Football League Cup run for that season went like this:
Round 1 a bye?
Round 2 Millwall (H) 1-0
Round 3 Burnley (A) 3-1
Round 4 Peterborough (H) 1-0
Round 5 Notts Forest (A) 1-3

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Who remembers the old seagull van, I think it was some sort of Austin? I could never figure out its purpose except for carrying the training kit to the greyhound stadium?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I know this is not the Goldstone memory but did anyone remember the Volkski Beetle at Palace that had large rollers for wheels which they used to flatten the pitch for Peter Taylor to run up and down!

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
syrup head said:
Yes. You are absolutely right. We were playing in the old Second Division at that time.

The Football League Cup run for that season went like this:
Round 1 a bye?
Round 2 Millwall (H) 1-0
Round 3 Burnley (A) 3-1
Round 4 Peterborough (H) 1-0
Round 5 Notts Forest (A) 1-3

I think this is the wrong year. In the season we are talking about (I think) we beat West Brom 2-0 at the Hawthorns in a previous round.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
that was my first ever away game with Brighton....Peter ward scored I seem to recall

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
3gulls said:
I think this is the wrong year. In the season we are talking about (I think) we beat West Brom 2-0 at the Hawthorns in a previous round.

No, that was in 1976/77.

We beat Ipswich after a replay (Graham Cross scored the winner, I think) and West Brom away (Wardy scored twice and Willie Johnson was sent off) before losing to Derby after a replay.

Great atmosphere in the Baseball Ground that evening.

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
How about when Frankie Howard was groundsman. There was one match that was televised on Match of the Day, so Frankie painted some of the pitch green to make it look better on the tele.

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
syrup head said:

Who remembers Keith Cuss?

Whatever happened to him. Does anybody know?

He used to be the oldest ball boy in the game.

What about his mate HARRY THE PIMP.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Gwylan said:
No, that was in 1976/77.

We beat Ipswich after a replay (Graham Cross scored the winner, I think) and West Brom away (Wardy scored twice and Willie Johnson was sent off) before losing to Derby after a replay.

Great atmosphere in the Baseball Ground that evening.
That was a great match at Derby.We battered them for most of the second-half but could only pull back one goal(scored by Ian Mellor,I think)and went down 2-1

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
sams dad said:
That was a great match at Derby.We battered them for most of the second-half but could only pull back one goal(scored by Ian Mellor,I think)and went down 2-1

Spot on sams dad. We were two down at half time. Spider pulled one back in the second half and a certain Graham Moseley played a blinder for them.

The journey back wasn't too bad because we had played above our league status and there was never a bad time on the old Seagull Special.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
hove born&bred said:
Who remembers a little short blokewith big Eric Morcambe Glasses who was a bit Forest Gump he would walk along Old Shoreham Road rubbing his hands skipping and talking to him self I was once saw him buy a jazz mag at the grenadier shops dirty little sod - and the young deaf lad who used to shout f*** OFF REF at the top of his vioce all through the game seen them both at the withers.

He used to come into Sainsburys when I worked there - we named him Woody Allen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here