Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Characters you remember from the Goldstone Ground days.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
One of my funniest memories was when a guy called Nigel (little guy, mate of Ian Hart's - can't remember his surname) was on the pitch before kick-off.

He scored a goal in the kick-about and then took a running dive onto the pitch - unfortunately his shorts ended up round his knees and he was left bare-arsed in front of a packed North stand! :lolol:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Anybody remember the food sellers who used to walk around the pitch with their orange boxes full of over priced crisps and sweets?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
227 BHA said:
One of my funniest memories was when a guy called Nigel (little guy, mate of Ian Hart's - can't remember his surname) was on the pitch before kick-off.

He scored a goal in the kick-about and then took a running dive onto the pitch - unfortunately his shorts ended up round his knees and he was left bare-arsed in front of a packed North stand! :lolol:
Nigel Erskine. A top chap.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by hove born&bred
and the young deaf lad who used to shout f*** OFF REF at the top of his vioce all through the game seen them both at the withers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember him - quite a nutter as well when it kicked off

=========
It could have been a mate of mine by the name of Alistair, 'quite a nutter' doesn't come close !!!. Haven't seen him for about five or six years. Like most of us he's settled down, married with a kid.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
dave the gaffer said:
Anyone remember the bloke who used to wear a hat which had "Sexy Sully" and things like that on it. He did look half cut all the time.

I also remember Earnest and his famous scarf

yeah, Sexy Sully painted with snowpake on his painted baseball cap - THAT WAS CHRIS MENTAL!!! always appeared drunk and would buy young fans alcohol from the bar (well caravan) in the car park at the north end of the West Stand.

Remember him slurring "come on you Sexy Seagulls" as the rest of us were running from Spurs!

Ron Pavey - a truely decent man

Stavros - huge with the most ill fitting uniform ever!

anyone remember the half time charity collections when they used to walk a sheet around the pitch for people to throw coins in? How no-one was ever blinded I'll never know (especially with the size of coins in the 60's and 70's).

and who remembers Slade?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The man in the white coat selling Percy Daltons peanuts,what a throw.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Set of Tracksuits said:
I lived in Henfield at the time, the Vicar in question was Tom Tyler, actually a really, really nice bloke!!

I was only about 9 or 10 at the time, but it was a HUGE scandal, because it was the only vaguely newsworthy thing that had ever happened there. Apart from Adam Faith buying a house there, but that was before my time.

I've been to a party in that house. It has a pool in the back garden if my very hazy memory serves me right. A mates ex used to live there with her parents.

As for Fred the Argus seller, he is also found at Fontwell races although not as often as he used to be.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
chez said:
Oh yes, we call him Byletts brother after a stupid mate of ours. He sat in H Block in the south stand at Withdean in our first season there. Others in that block will remember his victory dance along the line at the end of the games (if we won).

Was it him we were trying to get a bird for down the Ahem *junction* one night slick :lolol:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms said:
The woman in the north west corner who screamed piercingly every time something vaguely interesting happened at either end....

she is not the withdean screamer is she :lolol:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
The Wookiee said:
Anybody remember the food sellers who used to walk around the pitch with their orange boxes full of over priced crisps and sweets?

I seem to remember Bovril and the like being sold at half time, the programmes costing about 20p, and the half time scores being stuck up on that funny noticeboard thing on the ad hoardings.

Always have a fond memory of that massive Townsend Thorensen (spelling?!!) ad on the South Stand roof.

The eighties - those were the days!

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
eastlondonseagull said:
I seem to remember Bovril and the like being sold at half time, the programmes costing about 20p, and the half time scores being stuck up on that funny noticeboard thing on the ad hoardings.

Always have a fond memory of that massive Townsend Thorensen (spelling?!!) ad on the South Stand roof.

The eighties - those were the days!

Especially 83 :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: Apart from Gordon Smith :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Kev the Ape

blue gull said:
. . . . . . and then there was the young woman who used to sit behind the South Stand goal, drooling over Terry Connor whilst sucking strands of her hair, uttering the occasional outburst of,
"Take the runner."

that was my mum!!!!!!!!! :lolol::lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
eastlondonseagull said:
They were great days, though, the atmos in the north before and after the roof, me and my little stool so I could see over the concrete at the front. Man, it's sad.

was not allowed in the north as a nipper as the old man was scared for me ( that I would cause to much trouble probably :lolol: ) so stood in the North west. Have to admit the atmos was always great at the Goldstone R.I.P and I do not think we will ever get the atmos back :nono: :nono: :nono:

Kev the Ape

bha.fatboy said:
was not allowed in the north as a nipper as the old man was scared for me ( that I would cause to much trouble probably :lolol: ) so stood in the North west. Have to admit the atmos was always great at the Goldstone R.I.P and I do not think we will ever get the atmos back :nono: :nono: :nono:

at falmer we will :clap2: :D

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Me neither. First game was in the north, and always stood there. Had one game in east, a few in the chicken run, one in the Lego and a couple in the south. But other than that, always the north. Feel privileged, tbh!!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Kev the Ape said:
that was my mum!!!!!!!!! :lolol::lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

that was your mum! do you remember when her seat just broke halfway through the match ape? it was never fixed.

this thread is fantastic!

Kev the Ape

blue gull said:
. . . . . . and then there was the young woman who used to sit behind the South Stand goal, drooling over Terry Connor whilst sucking strands of her hair, uttering the occasional outburst of,
"Take the runner."

you just branded my mum on NSC well done :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here