Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Characters you remember from the Goldstone Ground days.

syrup head

Jul 5, 2003
Worthing
I'll start the ball rolling with a favourite of Manchester City fans.

Who remembers Keith Cuss?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
chez said:
AAAAARRRRRGGGGUUUUUUSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ditto...first memory of a "character" was that bloke :clap:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ernest :lolol:

syrup head

Jul 5, 2003
Worthing
chez said:
AAAAARRRRRGGGGUUUUUUSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What an institution he was. The poor sod got banned for a while by that b..stard Baloney because The Argus started to print the truth.

He told me a joke once. Here it is.

A Jewish guy walks in to the Argus office and says,
"My father's died. My mother has sent me down to put something in the obituary column. I think that it's a waste of money myself, but she's sent me.How much will it cost?"

He was advised that the fewer words used the least it will cost. He was then given a form to complete for his advertisement. He handed it back with the entry,
"Jacob Issacs died September 28th."

The assistant reminded him that another three words wouldn't cost him any more money.
"In that case hand it back", he said.
He added the words,
"Volvo for sale."

Wouldn't it be lovely to see him parading around Withdean?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Chris Mental, with a seagull (with flapping wings) on his blue & white painted baseball cap and a home made Fire Steward's badge.

Has anyone seen the guy who got Robbie Reinelt's boots at Hereford at an Albion match since?

syrup head

Jul 5, 2003
Worthing
timbha said:
Chris Mental, with a seagull (with flapping wings) on his blue & white painted baseball cap and a home made Fire Steward's badge.

Has anyone seen the guy who got Robbie Reinelt's boots at Hereford at an Albion match since?

During Muller's heady days there was another character who used to have a large seagull attached to his hat. He was Mark Lawrenson's landlord and his name was 'Dinky' Doo.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
timbha said:

Wasn't he was banned from all Albion games, along with his girlfriend, for running on the pitch during that Orient game? Used to see him at Gillingham despite the ban.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Bwian said:
Wasn't he was banned from all Albion games, along with his girlfriend, for running on the pitch during that Orient game? Used to see him at Gillingham despite the ban.

thought he was a South Stander (at Goldstone) - I used to sit near him - didn't see him run 100+yds to attack Wilkins!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Good old Fred can still be seen peddling the Argus at the County Ground while you watch Sussex either

a) Play like tossers

or

b) Play like World beaters.

:clap:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
timbha said:
thought he was a South Stander (at Goldstone) - I used to sit near him - didn't see him run 100+yds to attack Wilkins!

My memories of that day are of two people-one male, one female-running from the North Stand to attack Wilkins. Pretty sure I read somewhere that same male person was the owner of RR's boots.

Last edited:

syrup head

Jul 5, 2003
Worthing
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Good old Fred can still be seen peddling the Argus at the County Ground

:clap:

Thanks for that Chappers. I was struggling to remember his name.

I'm glad to hear that he is still about. I remember that some days he used to take his old dog with him when he sold The Argus at the Goldstone. (Please don't be tempted to add,
"Most of us used to leave ours at home cooking the evening meal."

D

Deleted User X18H

Who remembers a little short blokewith big Eric Morcambe Glasses who was a bit Forest Gump he would walk along Old Shoreham Road rubbing his hands skipping and talking to him self I was once saw him buy a jazz mag at the grenadier shops dirty little sod - and the young deaf lad who used to shout f*** OFF REF at the top of his vioce all through the game seen them both at the withers.

Last edited:

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
what about 'jobsworth steward' who manned the gates of the north stand behind the goal.

a chant used to go up from i believe 'goldstone ghost' along the lines of "Jobsworth Steward is a homosexual!!!" - to the tune of 'your gonna get your fcukin edz kicked in!

priceless!!!

Seagull Stew

The old guy in the North West corner who used to pop his false teeth in and out.

syrup head

Jul 5, 2003
Worthing
. . . . . . and then there was the young woman who used to sit behind the South Stand goal, drooling over Terry Connor whilst sucking strands of her hair, uttering the occasional outburst of,
"Take the runner."

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
My first real memory was Charlie Livesey - a favourite of the North Stand.

And my first night games and the chatter in the North Stand ... and then the hero worship of Kit Napier!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
hove born&bred said:
and the young deaf lad who used to shout f*** OFF REF at the top of his vioce all through the game seen them both at the withers.

Remember him - quite a nutter as well when it kicked off

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here