Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Changing Room ruck

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Hughes not only crashed head on into totally innocent people who had the misfortune to be driving on that road, he left the passenger in that car dead, the driver seriously injured and was so concerned about this he made off and left them there. Only giving himself up the next day when he presumably realised it was only a matter of time until he was caught. As far as I'm concerned any comments shouted from the stands are more than justified however remorseful he now is.

I,m glad you,ve pointed out about Hughes running away from the scene of an accident, where he left one person DEAD, and left another SERIOUSLY INJURED.
Reading Edna,s earlier post, I thought I had remembered his disgusting behaviour wrongly.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well I guess it's something he'll just have to put up with.

I'd imagine it's never really going to leave him, whatever he does with his life, he's always going to have to live with it. I'm also sure there's probably not a day goes by without him regretting it or wishing he could turn the clock back. Most of us judge ourselves far more harshly than anyone else ever could, and Lee Hughes is probably no different.

As I say, I don't think he deserves sympathy, but I bet there's a few people on here that have driven after a few pints (I can't find the earlier thread on the subject, but I distinctly remember several people freely admitting they do it). There but for the grace of God, no?

I can't wait until we play my local lot at Wycombe some time soon. McGleish and the poisoned Dwarf upfront together at the moment!! They'd just need to get Henry Houghton out of retirement for that game for the loudest set of boos a crowd's ever unleashed since the police lead Erica Roe away.

The trouble with that is, it usually comes around to bite supporters on the arse.

Remember when we were playing Northampton at Withdean, giving McGleish grief, then he cleverly took advantage in a lapse in Hinshelwood's concentration to stroll forward and make the simplest goal I have ever witnessed us concede - thus equalizing and ending the match level when we should have got 3 points.

I don't WANT to have to grudgingly admire our most hated opponent's skill and guile, and every time we play against one I'd prefer to gloat over them after we've beaten their team.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Well I guess it's something he'll just have to put up with.

I'd imagine it's never really going to leave him, whatever he does with his life, he's always going to have to live with it. I'm also sure there's probably not a day goes by without him regretting it or wishing he could turn the clock back. Most of us judge ourselves far more harshly than anyone else ever could, and Lee Hughes is probably no different.

As I say, I don't think he deserves sympathy, but I bet there's a few people on here that have driven after a few pints (I can't find the earlier thread on the subject, but I distinctly remember several people freely admitting they do it). There but for the grace of God, no?

I see your point Edna, and I,m sure many have, knowingly driven, whilst over the limit. Hopefully, only the cowards would run and leave a seriously injured person, merely to save their own skin.

On a different note...........late the other evening (about 11.30pm) a well dressed young lady....(who apeared to be under the influence of drugs) called at my house in a very distressed state. My wife and I offered to help and I took her to her house (so she said) in my car. Nobody would answer the door so I took her back to my house, but despite my wife being there too, she declined further assistance andwalked off. I phoned the police, because we were very concerned. They were very good,(and sent a unit to attend) but also asked me if I had a witness there when she got in my car. The police operator, then told me to just go in doors and leave it well alone.Is this normal practice...? I admit, I didn,t go indoors but watched where she was going until a police car arrived.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I see your point Edna, and I,m sure many have, knowingly driven, whilst over the limit. Hopefully, only the cowards would run and leave a seriously injured person, merely to save their own skin.

On a different note...........late the other evening (about 11.30pm) a well dressed young lady....(who apeared to be under the influence of drugs) called at my house in a very distressed state. My wife and I offered to help and I took her to her house (so she said) in my car. Nobody would answer the door so I took her back to my house, but despite my wife being there too, she declined further assistance andwalked off. I phoned the police, because we were very concerned. They were very good,(and sent a unit to attend) but also asked me if I had a witness there when she got in my car. The police operator, then told me to just go in doors and leave it well alone.Is this normal practice...? I admit, I didn,t go indoors but watched where she was going until a police car arrived.

Not sure if it's a policy thing, as I don't work in the Comms office, but I guess it was worth asking for your own protection, sad though that may sound! Unfortunately it's not unknown for people who are heavily intoxicated, whether through drink or drugs, to get themselves in trouble by virtue of their own vulnerability.

I'm guessing here, but let's say she'd rung up the next day to say she'd been sexually assaulted that night, or robbed (not by you, of course, but at some point during the course of the evening!), the fact that you had a witness on board would avoid any issues of passers by saying they'd seen her get into your car, and thus very quickly avoid you getting dragged in.

Or, she could I suppose have been a regular drug user (they don't all look like you imagine they would) and therefore unpredictable, and a risk to you.

Quite sad that people end up having to think the worst, but probably borne through experience, and the need to cater for the worst case scenario.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot understand why people should want to goad Lee Hughes. What he did was wrong and he was punished according to our lawsa but all of this has nothing whatsoever to do with football and I applaud Oldham for having the foresight to grab a player,who was a natural goalscorer who was well sought after before his prison sentence,

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If Lee Hughes looked rubbish yesterday, we would not have booed him. But he did murder Tommy Elphick for pace and left him for dead before scoring a very good goal, and so you could understand our frustration. Hughes is still a very good footballer.

Our former captain, Sir Charles of Oatway, has had his moments with the BILL, and he never got stick for it.

I think what upset people about Hughes was not what happened itself, but the cowardly running away afterwards. He has paid his price according to the law of the land, but the law of the terraces is different.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It does sound to me like one of those moments where someone makes a split second decision, which then just spirals out of control until people's lives are changed forever.

He makes the stupid decision to drive after a few whiskies- on another day he could, by the grace of God, have somehow made it home without incident, or hit a bollard, or a cat, or been stopped by a mate, but instead he crashes. He then has a moment of madness, fuelled no doubt by the alcohol, in which he presumably (and, obviously, wrongly) realises he's probably over the limit and legs it. He may have realised people were seriously hurt and/or dying, he may not, or he may not want to know, but with that decision, the whole situation has turned irrevocably into one he can't escape from.

By the time he's got home, and presumably the very cold light of day is hitting hard, he knows he's in serious shit, but it's too late to turn the clock back, so, like an idiot, he hides.

Please don't think I'm excusing him for one second, I can't stand drink drivers, and if you ever get caught, you won't get any sympathy from me. The only point I'm trying to make is that the most drastic of consequences can come about from the most simple, and split second decisions. Lives ruined- the families of the deceased, his own family, and, in a different way, that of Lee Hughes himself.

I can perfectly well understand why Hughes is branded a coward, but I suspect this whole situation came about because he put himself in a position where alcohol intoxication inhibited his logical thought processes. I doubt he'd have legged it if sober, even if he'd obviously caused the collision. And that, if anything, is surely the lesson to be learned out of this situation.

Monumentally stupid? Yes. Naive? Absolutely. Foolish to think he could get away with it? Definitely. Evil scum of the earth? No.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
i really can't believe a player like hughes who must have become very thick skinned and doesn't pay much attention to what is being said on the terraces

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It does sound to me like one of those moments where someone makes a split second decision, which then just spirals out of control until people's lives are changed forever.

He makes the stupid decision to drive after a few whiskies- on another day he could, by the grace of God, have somehow made it home without incident, or hit a bollard, or a cat, or been stopped by a mate, but instead he crashes. He then has a moment of madness, fuelled no doubt by the alcohol, in which he presumably (and, obviously, wrongly) realises he's probably over the limit and legs it. He may have realised people were seriously hurt and/or dying, he may not, or he may not want to know, but with that decision, the whole situation has turned irrevocably into one he can't escape from.

By the time he's got home, and presumably the very cold light of day is hitting hard, he knows he's in serious shit, but it's too late to turn the clock back, so, like an idiot, he hides.

Please don't think I'm excusing him for one second, I can't stand drink drivers, and if you ever get caught, you won't get any sympathy from me. The only point I'm trying to make is that the most drastic of consequences can come about from the most simple, and split second decisions. Lives ruined- the families of the deceased, his own family, and, in a different way, that of Lee Hughes himself.

I can perfectly well understand why Hughes is branded a coward, but I suspect this whole situation came about because he put himself in a position where alcohol intoxication inhibited his logical thought processes. I doubt he'd have legged it if sober, even if he'd obviously caused the collision. And that, if anything, is surely the lesson to be learned out of this situation.

Monumentally stupid? Yes. Naive? Absolutely. Foolish to think he could get away with it? Definitely. Evil scum of the earth? No.

Couldn't put it better

:whisky::angry:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I cannot understand why people should want to goad Lee Hughes. What he did was wrong and he was punished according to our lawsa but all of this has nothing whatsoever to do with football and I applaud Oldham for having the foresight to grab a player,who was a natural goalscorer who was well sought after before his prison sentence,

I read an article in the Guardian the other week about Lee Hughes. He did seem to have genuine remorse and sorrow for what he did. A campaigner he is working with also highlighted that he has, and is, sticking to a number of pledges he made to to help anti-drink driving projects. I feel a lot more comfortable with Lee Hughes than say the snarling Lee Bowyer who to my knowledge has never apologised or shown remorse for his various misdemeanors. I dont want to live in a world where we dont forgive, time will tell if Hughes is forgiven for his actions, but to me he is going about the rest of his life in the best possible way.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I doubt anybody on here knows the name of his victims off the top of their heads, without looking it up. I doubt anybody really cares. That isn't being callous - its just the way of the world. Similarly, I doubt anybody chanting abuse has written to their MP in light of this case, demanding a review of sentencing policy for death by dangerous driving cases.

No - Hughes was baited simply because he was playing against Brighton. End of. And nobody will give it another thought till the reverse fixture, when no doubt he will be called a murderer again - just as he will be at every game he ever plays in pro-football.
To suggest Albion fans were calling him a "murderer" because of some higher moral value, and / or because he is a disgusting human being etc etc etc is simply insulting our intelligence.

What he did was wrong, the way he behaved afterwards was reprehensible, but he has served the sentence handed down and is simply trying to rebuild his life. What else is he expected to do?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One of my sons got done for DD some 15 years ago and a policeman friend/aquaintance told me then I should have taken him to my brothers and left him there for 3 days as they could not back track alcohol over 3 days and then him sware he didnt know how he got there. He only wrecked my car nobody was hurt.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Empathy is so yesterday, pardon every murderer and the world is better.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Empathy is so yesterday, pardon every murderer and the world is better.

I don't understand this post. Genuinley I don't.

If you think I am suggesting pardoning murderers, I'm not. But Lee Hughes isn't a murderer, and I also believe that in his case he deserves a second chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here