Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

catering today....

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I wrote to Paul Barber about my unsuccessful trek for a post-match Harvey's.

He wrote this back...

Hi Alan

Thanks for your note.

It was a great game - and a great occasion for everyone - on Saturday and
I thought we deserved more than we got from the game. Regardless, and as
you say, we can certainly hold our heads up very high and should do
because we more than competed with a very decent Arsenal side (and, yes,
it hurts me to say that more than most!).

With regard to catering, with every new attendance record, we are learning
more about the quantities of beer and food we need. And, yes, it's true
that our caterers are trying to improve efficiency by reducing waste
wherever they can. This is in all of our interests.

However, Saturday's shortages in some areas were not to do with lower
ordering. We sold record volumes of many items, not least beer! Beer
volumes were more than 35% higher than for the Newcastle match and over
70% higher than for the previous home match against Derby. Although lower
crowds on those occasions, the volume increases are significant and do
account for the supply challenges.

We've already met with our caterers (Monday) and we have agreed a plan
(that we will communicate more widely in the lead up to the next match) to
ensure that at least one bar in every stand remains able to serve our
supporters, regardless of how much we sell on a given day.

As I've said several times since I joined, catering at football stadia is
not as simple as it seems and we will work on making it better for
supporters it with every bit of learning we can get. It's never going to
be an exact science but there remains room for improvement.

Thanks again for your comments.

Regards, Paul

Good for you TLO and good for Mr Barber. You must have written a constructive letter and you received a fair and constructive response. I wonder how many CEOs of other football clubs would have bothered responding to a complaint about how far you had to walk to get a beer?!

Some aspects of the catering still need to improve and staff levels and abilities are pretty woeful. However Mr Barber is not denying this but is making it clear that the club are working at it. With the great respect to some of the posters on here, I suspect Mr Barber knows a little more about the finances of the club and the merits of developing non ticket income. It's obviously far from simple but the club are working hard to get it right.

If any of us have constructive feedback to make then it seems he will receive it with grace. I respect that.

Good for you TLO and good for Mr Barber. You must have written a constructive letter and you received a fair and constructive response. I wonder how many CEOs of other football clubs would have bothered responding to a complaint about how far you had to walk to get a beer?!

Some aspects of the catering still need to improve and staff levels and abilities are pretty woeful. However Mr Barber is not denying this but is making it clear that the club are working at it. With the great respect to some of the posters on here, I suspect Mr Barber knows a little more about the finances of the club and the merits of developing non ticket income. It's obviously far from simple but the club are working hard to get it right.

If any of us have constructive feedback to make then it seems he will receive it with grace. I respect that.
:facepalm:

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Considering beer has at least 6 weeks, or it does when we have it delivered, the whole 'cutting back' is a load of crap, understandable when it comes to the pies and Harvey's, as they won't last until the next game obviously, but to run out of beer is pathetic IMO

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
Considering beer has at least 6 weeks, or it does when we have it delivered, the whole 'cutting back' is a load of crap, understandable when it comes to the pies and Harvey's, as they won't last until the next game obviously, but to run out of beer is pathetic IMO

Bright beer will only keep for a few days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here