Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Catering Feedback?

TryingToServe

Oct 16, 2011
Brighton
I saw 3 burgers returned in WSU south end for being cold on Wednesday evening. My hot dog tasted of nothing whatsoever?

Sent from Pippa Middleton's lingerie drawer.

Now that is bad - I know some people were having problems with the bain-maries we use to store cooked burgers that aren't on the chutes. Perhaps this was the issue. As far as I know all was fixed for yesterday's game.

And I agree about the new hotdogs - the previous ones were much tastier. This has been brought up on a number of occasions - I think they're going to re-introduce the older style sausages again soon. They only bought these ones because they were longer and thus fit the buns better. But they shouldn't compromise on taste.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
WSL – Too often the pies are not hot enough, yesterday, again, I asked for mine to be changed before I even left the kiosk and opened the box, as you could feel the pie was just not hot enough (Steak and Ale). Normally we try to get steak and ale pies, however yesterday my partner had the Chicken and Ham, an experience that will not be repeated – her words not mine. We have also experienced the ‘wrong pie, wrong box’ issue.

Wednesday at the Cardiff match - the kiosks had run out of pies at 19:20 – and only had a few Balti’s left, do they not realise that a number of people will have to go direct to the Amex from work and have no option to pick up food on the way? Kiosk had no hot dogs so had to re-queue and get from the stall at the back of the concourse, who by this time had run out of bags to put them in and had no serviettes either!

Experience so far – food choice is too limited, pies are cold far too often, if you get to a kiosk early then you might stand a chance of getting your pie of choice, however it will not be hot and it may be a dried out left over from a previous match, beer goes down well, the staff at the kiosk are friendly and the service has improved. Can the free-standing hot dog stall please have a reader for the smartcards so you do not have to use cash in the cash-less stadium (it's the only place where you can get onions). There is a captive audience and a huge opportunity is being missed.

TryingToServe

Oct 16, 2011
Brighton
The East Stand has improved every game, but it really has come on markedly, game on game since the turn of the year.
This week was the best ever, minimal queue, great service.

The season ticket only queue is a great idea, esp I guess for training new staff, one less thing to worry about.

I thought the same thing! Things seemed to just happen very smoothly yesterday - even considering a lack of pies. The separate queues were a fan's idea - a great example of the club taking your ideas on board!

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
WSL - Half time, after 5 minute queue for a pint of Harvey's they run out with the chap saying "Why have they only given me half a tub". Not the first time and does get frustrating having waited 5 mins, there isn't time to queue again.

Surely by now the caterers must know how many drinks / snacks are sold on average before, half time and after the game and should stock up accordingly, it really isn't rocket science. I fully understand that the caterers do not want any waste as this reduces profit but do you have a minimum / maximum / regular stock order?

Oh well I'm just off to do my weekly order for the Village Shop with my wholesalers, I'm sure I'll forget to order something......

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I can only apologise for this - I assume that they had some problem with their ovens because there's no way they should sell out that quickly. Even if all of the pies are gone early on they should have got more from elsewhere for half time/after the game. We're never given so few pies that we run out that quickly. The staff should have communicated this to you.

Staff said they had not received enough pies. Went to the next kiosk along and got the last two pies of any description available. Looks like there was a supply issue on Wednesday. Yesterday - no queues, loads of pies - lovely!

TryingToServe

Oct 16, 2011
Brighton
Last three matches WSU north has been very good, even had a hot pie yesterday, my son has taken very well to the new burgers (although he hates the onions - fussy Fuker). Did notice one till was not accepting e-card payments but the staff had the sense to stick up a sign. Keep up the good work!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Thank you thank you - this is exactly what we're going for. There will still be more minor issues - especially when we run low on something/new staff/new products. But the major problems are being ironed out which is great.

The only thing I noticed was no e-card only till, but I guess this is just starting to be rolled out now? Not really an issue as I was very quick getting to the front, just thought they were a very good idea and was on the look out.

TryingToServe

Oct 16, 2011
Brighton
I admire your willingness to come on here and listen to feedback. I have no recent issues with WSL (south end). As you say the previous burgers were horrible and I haven't tried one since - maybe I'll give it another go on your recommendation. Service has improved overall and queues are shorter. I only have anything before the game as I have never understood this obsession with eating and drinking half way though a match as some sort of ritual.

It helps me, it helps you - I don't understand how others I work with haven't been on here yet.

Thanks for your positivity :)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I am a creature of habit and always use the same kiosk in the East, the one by the entrance to block D, and they are fantastic there. The ST only queue is a superb idea, walked straight up to be served by a pretty young lady who seemed new and getting used to the system, she was very talkative and friendly and fetched my chicken and ham pie with no problems. Glorious scenes. After the Cardiff game I went to the kiosk and the girl I usually go to apologised on seeing me, they only had steak left. Brilliant customer service to know what I get, and to care enough to say. Very well run team in there.
:bowdown:

I tapped to talk.

TryingToServe

Oct 16, 2011
Brighton
In the north stand my only real concern is the queues prior to kick off and at half time. I appreciate that this is not really down to the catering staff, there was a rumour about adding another kiosk somewhere in there which would help both you and us out immensely. Is there any truth in this?

I can't say I've heard anything but with the improvements to the stadium over the summer who knows?

Sorry to say there will ALWAYS be queues at half time - serving around 20k people in 15 minutes is just an insane task. However, I agree we can work on improving queue times before the match.

Lush

Mods' Pet
The noodles are great. Nothing like a pot noodle, more like a chinese takeaway with fresh veg. The veggie one comes with a couple of whole dim-sum-like dumplings. Easily worth £5 but probably not £7.

Pies have always been good quality, but the heating and service has been a bit hit and miss. Consistently good now though.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Only a couple of minor ones yesterday - No individual Harveys sellers at half time in North and stopped off at East stand on way out and all three areas had run out of Harveys, so had to go back to North. Is it possible to get Notices to put above refreshment kiosks saying No Harveys, No Chicken Balti or whatever. It would save queuing to be told when you get to the front.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
The noodles are great. Nothing like a pot noodle, more like a chinese takeaway with fresh veg. The veggie one comes with a couple of whole dim-sum-like dumplings. Easily worth £5 but probably not £7.

Pies have always been good quality, but the heating and service has been a bit hit and miss. Consistently good now though.

£5 I'd consider it at every game, £7 makes is a "once in a while" proposition.

matt_32510

Feb 7, 2011
Portslade
Always use the middle bar in WSU, no problems at all, have all the pies and beer I want and friendly staff and don't have to wait to long to be served.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
WSU ran out of Harvey's after the game. Ho-hum. Had a veggie pie which was, of course, superb. (I do have to laugh at people who moan about it when they don't even know what they're eating...)

You get to see that the staff - especially in WSU - are more motivated, more prepared to be helpful and much better informed than earlier in the season. Keep it up.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Congratulations to "TryingToServe" for having the committment and the intelligence (not to mention bravery!) to come on here and ask/answer questions.

When you make manager, as you inevitably will, I hope you remember that speaking to customers works (and responding to what they say works even better)!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Had one steak and ale pie a while back and very acceptable

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
There is a co-op in the uni complex. They do sandwiches/ bagels etc. An alternative if you really dont like whats on offer in the ground. Personally- I think food is for wimps.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
After going off the veggie pies a while back there is only one other alternative for me (being a vegetarian) and that is the veggie burger. Generally its been 50/50 whether I get one or not. Last Wednesday I got to the Amex at 6pm, went to get a veg burger from the first WSU kiosk I came to and was told they didn't have any maybe try the other kiosk. Tried the other kiosk and was told they didn't have any either and that they are going to start cooking some. After several trips back and forth to the kiosk to see if the burgers were ready I finally got one at about 7pm. The staff were all friendly enough but there does seem to be a lack of communication between them all sometimes.
Would love a bit more choice on the veggie front even if it was just a cheese and onion pasty, would also love to see piglets pantry be a bit more inventive on the veggie pie front. Quorn pieces for a (fake) chicken and mushroom maybe? But I guess that's not down to you...

Anyway in a nutshell a) I would like to be able to get a veggie burger without any hassle and b) a little more choice for us non meat eating folk would be sweet.

Keep up the good work!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here