Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cashless Stadium?

Aug 8, 2010
To not have a ticket office at the ground would be absolute insanity and it would definitely impact on attendances. Some fans, both home, away and neutral, much prefer to simply turn up on the day and buy tickets. Plenty of fans do not want to be/ are not on the clubs books and this would mean they are less likely to watch a game.

Also, the students at the two universities would probably not want to be a member of the club but may want to watch a game, which should be encouraged. This is why a ticket office at the ground is vital.

Think of all the fans on here that much prefer going to an away game and buying on the day. To be able to do so at the ground would make things so much easier for everyone.

Spot on

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Your hope will not be granted, as stated it is part of the planning regulations that you cannot pay cash, or by card or by barter or groats for tickets on the stadium site on the day.

As I understand it once you have registered you can use your phone standing outside the stadium to pay for a ticket which will be put onto you cashless card you will be given when register which you will be able t use to gain entry to the un manned turnstiles, I believe similar to that use on the underground stations.
But first time visitors to the ground will not be able to gain access on a turn up and watch basis.

For fear of repeating , it is part of the planning consent regulations that this happens, Its not a decision made by the club.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Of course we are all assuming there will be tickets available!

If all the seats are taken up with season tickets then all this will be irrelevant, at least for the first season!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I wonder how many time we'll need to cover this before people get the point of not paying cash at Falmer. I'm sure others can offer a better explanation but this is how I understand it.

There is a planning restriction on cash changing hands at the stadium, it is not allowed and will never happen. You will be able to buy over the phone or online and collect a ticket at the stadium, but in doing this you will need to register, and by registering you will be sent a smartcard which you will then use for any game after that.
Supposedly there will be ticket booths at the station and park and rides where you will be able to pay for tickets.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Of course we are all assuming there will be tickets available!

If all the seats are taken up with season tickets then all this will be irrelevant, at least for the first season!

This is true - Who knows (esp if we go up) we may be thankful that people can't just turn up on the day as people with a smart card / on the database already will be able to ensure they have a ticket already and not risk turning up on the gate for the 1000 still available and finding out that 1000 'new' fans got in there first!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
There is a planning restriction on cash changing hands at the stadium, it is not allowed and will never happen. You will be able to buy over the phone or online and collect a ticket at the stadium, but in doing this you will need to register, and by registering you will be sent a smartcard which you will then use for any game after that.
Supposedly there will be ticket booths at the station and park and rides where you will be able to pay for tickets.

Exactly what I thought, but people are still implying on here that this by "choice" of the club.

If it is seen to be "ridiculous", then it's the Minister that should be slated, not the club.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Your hope will not be granted, as stated it is part of the planning regulations that you cannot pay cash, or by card or by barter or groats for tickets on the stadium site on the day.

OK, that's fine.

HOWEVER, the waters have been somewhat muddied by Insider's response on ATC that you WILL be able to pay for a ticket by cash at the Ticket Office.

I guess what he is saying is either:

(1) That the Ticket office won't be at the Ground - sounds rather strange.

OR (2) The Ticket Office IS at the Ground, but you can only buy a ticket, with cash, on NON match days.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
, but in doing this you will need to register, and by registering you will be sent a smartcard which you will then use for any game after that.

and then they will know who you are and get your details and send you marketting stuff and emails and phone calls and oooh everything

mwhaaaaaaaa

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
OK, that's fine.

HOWEVER, the waters have been somewhat muddied by Insider's response on ATC that you WILL be able to pay for a ticket by cash at the Ticket Office.

OR (2) The Ticket Office IS at the Ground, but you can only buy a ticket, with cash, on NON match days.

Judging by the planning restrictions I would suggest number 2 is correct.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
OK, that's fine.

Club Shop in Town - North Stand Chat

You may remember asking

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
And the ticket office will be in the club shop (but not at the stadium one)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
that is what is being suggested

Also, the students at the two universities would probably not want to be a member of the club but may want to watch a game, which should be encouraged. This is why a ticket office at the ground is vital

I don't think this will be an issue; students (and young people in general) are on the whole a lot less technophobic than the *ahem* 'older generation'. I remember getting sent a card by Reading FC when I sat with the home fans to watch us play (c2003 when I was a student), and I can't say that my stomach was turned at the prospect.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
if there is an away game which you have to buy tickets in advance for, 9 times out of 10 i wont bother going

i can only hope that away fans dont have the same attitude of me if they cannot just turn up on the day and buy

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I am being led to believe that no cash on match days to procur a ticket was mentioned in some part of the stadium application and planning request ?
Thats just plain stupid, and I dont believe it.

If someone knows different then please put the details up.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
This may be a stupid question but who would insist in the planning application that tickets cannot be bought anywhere on site on a matchday (which would defeat the object of a ticket office being there at all, if there indeed is one)? It just seems stupid to me.

I love the idea of people being able to turn up on the day to buy tickets and I genuinely think it will affect attendences if they cannot. It's one of the things I love about old-fashioned football grounds. For away games I much prefer the idea of being able to buy on the day.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I don't think this will be an issue; students (and young people in general) are on the whole a lot less technophobic than the *ahem* 'older generation'. I remember getting sent a card by Reading FC when I sat with the home fans to watch us play (c2003 when I was a student), and I can't say that my stomach was turned at the prospect.

I'm not saying they won't be able to but it just takes that much more effort. It would require ringing up/ going online and registering before buying a ticket as opposed to a casual stroll over the road to buy a ticket on the Saturday afternoon.

A student mate of mine and a load of his mates wanted to come and watch a game last year but when I told them they couldn't buy on the gate, and what it took to get a ticket, they decided they couldn't be bothered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here