Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Cash or card ?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'm surprised at the people who say they never use cash. Don't they ever have to pop out for a pint of milk? Don't they ever use libraries? Don't they ever give Christmas tips? Don't they use taxis? Don't they use window cleaners? Don't they ever play pool in pubs? I'd say 90% of my transactions are by card but it would be a rare month when I didn't use cash for something?

Don't they every pop in Premier Stores in Welshpool to buy a can of Coke Zero and one of Pepsi Max only to find out they don't take cards for less than £2? My little stop off at Lake Vyrnwy today for a sandwich would have been slightly disappointing had I not had a crusty old tenner in my wallet.....

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I’ve never used my phone to pay for anything, I’ve also got no banking apps on the phone.
I use cards and always carry cash.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Usually keep twenty quid in my wallet. Has come in handy a few times but I haven’t so much as looked at it this year.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't fumble for change, I hand over a pound, fiver, tenner or whatever, at the end of the day pounds stay in my pocket ,useful coins go in the parking coin ashtray and coppers go in an old gallon whisky bottle.When that is full, off to one of those supermarket coin converters it will go.

Ladies count out the exact money from their purses,they fumble with change, men with purses probably do too.

Far easier to pay for small items on card. Much quicker too.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
What do these people who don't carry cash do when the taxi driver says "cash only"? When, two weeks ago, we'd waited 25 minutes for a cab and the driver said he didn't take cards, would you prefer to hang around for another 20 or 30 minutes to see if the next one did?

Presumably the answer is yes, but I find it a rather weird way to behave

Haven’t taxi apps arrived in Brighton yet ? We have something called the internet up here :)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What taxi’s don’t have card payment facilities? No wonder Uber is making traditional taxi’s obsolete. You’d have to be a fool not to have card reader in a cab now at the very least. We pay on apps now, don’t most people?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What taxi’s don’t have card payment facilities? No wonder Uber is making traditional taxi’s obsolete. You’d have to be a fool not to have card reader in a cab now at the very least. We pay on apps now, don’t most people?

Apart from anything else, it protects the drivers from robbery.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've normally got some cash on me just in case. Most recent example being The Swan in Falmer only taking cash in the barn while you can't use it at all at The Amex :facepalm:

Use my phone if I don't need a receipt for expenses and card if I do, otherwise.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No one is using cash here but I try to as often as possible. Don't want a cashless society but in Sweden its probably only ten years away.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Definitely a Generational thing.

Mrs Jakarta runs the local Church Magazine / Arts Group / Probus Group finances.

We still get loads of envelopes enclosing cheques for £10/15/20 - it seems unfair to tell these old ladies about how their subscriptions are propping up the Banks...

Now we have gone from 4 to 1 Banks in Storrington I guess it may be a situation that will resolve itself.

Is the one remaining bank HSBC only I noticed a transfer I had made from one of my hsbc accounts to another was showing as a being at a Storrington branch, whereas I opened my account in the soon to be closed Burgess Hill branch.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
When was the last time anyone wrote out a cheque? Mine was two years ago to the chimney sweep from a cheque book that was issued in 2013!

Around every 6 weeks for window cleaner, the only person I use cheque payment with or on second thoughts insists on cheque payment

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In the UK - just a pound coin in the car for supermarket trolleys.

On the continent - I check first, but usually €100’s in notes. Depending on the destination, taxi transfer companies and some bars accept cash only, also for end of holiday hotel tips.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't support a cashless society because some people would not be able to navigate their world without it but really, for the vast majority of us, why bother with cash anymore.

Handing notes and chunks of metal around in exchange for goods and services? It's all a bit Old Bazaar in Cairo. It's about time we made it largely obsolete. I'd be glad to see the back of the queens face on currency too. How archaic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luq6A7vEdHI

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here