Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Cash or card ?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I nearly always use cash. Dinner at restaurant last night, weekly shop yesterday, filling car up with petrol Wednesday, all cash. For the last 40 years, I have always kept at least a couple of hundred in cash in my wallet and up until I retired, used a Company credit card for anything on expenses to keep personal and business separate.

I currently have three current accounts but they have money going regularly between them to get all the 'extras' on the various accounts (interest rates, free insurances, cashback on DDs etc), took a while to set up and I don't want to disturb that. If I have to pay for something on a card (like at the Amex :rolleyes:), I then have to transfer money to that account to keep them all 'in balance' and get loads of stupid little transactions all over them.

I guess I am going to have to get dragged screaming into the 21st century and open another account to use as a 'cash wallet'. Bloody kids and technology taking over the world :wink:

Back in the 90's I had 2 bank accounts one called house the another called beer account.

salary/bills in house, had a cheque book but no card . . . and an allowance into beer with a card/cheque book for day to day 'expenses'

even now we have a house bank account that manages just that, individual accounts for living.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’ve not needed any cash in Copenhagen; small music venue, bars, corner shop, cafes, supermarket all take cards or are completely cashless.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
as a follow up, when we arrived and asked a local about the need for cash he said “if you carry cash people will think you’re a criminal”.

scooter1

How soon is now?
We were talking about this last as we did a gig with collection buckets for our guitarist who passed away earlier this year. As someone pointed out, most people these days pay by card and rarely have cash so collection buckets and such are a bit of a thing of the past. Yes there are just giving and go fund me options, but most people can’t be arsed for a few quid. Just one of those things I guess….

Vaughan Storm

May 21, 2020
Worthing
Always pay in cash, then I can regulate spending easily for example I can't buy something I see in town that I'll only want for a day or two as I have no money to buy it but some organizations, not naming names only take card and I bet it's so you're more likely to overspend

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We were talking about this last as we did a gig with collection buckets for our guitarist who passed away earlier this year. As someone pointed out, most people these days pay by card and rarely have cash so collection buckets and such are a bit of a thing of the past. Yes there are just giving and go fund me options, but most people can’t be arsed for a few quid. Just one of those things I guess….

Raffles too.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

most of the guitarists i have known don't like buckets , they have liked cocaine a lot more , although i do appreciate collecting cocaine for a 3rd party could be troublesome....i hope your friend had a good sense of humour....xxx RIP

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I’m the only one who handles my phone and I’m immune to my own germs. Cash is handled all day by different people.

The primary risk from phone-related germs comes from bathrooms. If you ever take your phone with you, or have it out, when you’re using the bathroom in a restaurant etc, you have far more to worry about than no one else physically touching your phone.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The primary risk from phone-related germs comes from bathrooms. If you ever take your phone with you, or have it out, when you’re using the bathroom in a restaurant etc, you have far more to worry about than no one else physically touching your phone.

It’s usually cocooned within my handbag.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Just starting to change the habits of a lifetime.
Would always have between £50-£100 on me at all times.

I think the last time I withdrew cash was about 3 months ago.
It's just about all gone now, will probably just withdraw £20 ad see how that goes.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Why does multiple entries on a bank statement bother you? Sounds like you're using a debit card too.
Why not put all those coffees [and everything else] on a cash-back credit card [Barclaycard do one].
Then set up a DD to pay {IN FULL] each month.
That way, only one entry extra on your bank statement [the CC DD] and once a year a nice little accrual of cash-back [mine is always 2-3 hundred quid]
Now, every round at the bar is by card, but I know each time I use it, I'm getting a half-percent discount on EVERYTHING !

Why wouldn't you want simplicity and get rewarded for doing it too?

I've just ordered a cashback credit card, set up the DD to pay off in full each month and when it arrives I'm going to use it instead of cash. I have finally been dragged screaming into the 21st century and I don't think I like it.

If anything goes wrong, I'm blaming you :annoyed:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I’ve not needed any cash in Copenhagen; small music venue, bars, corner shop, cafes, supermarket all take cards or are completely cashless.

Hope they're not like the hotel in Amsterdam that I stayed in a few years back. It wouldn't accept cards from British banks - I had to borrow cash from a work colleague.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Something I am aware of is that there’s quite a significant “black economy” in the hospitality sector over here. It’s not uncommon for people to have a formal work contract and be paid a regular ageee monthly “black” top up. It seems to be “tolerated” by the tax authorities as well. That said, i do notice at the end of the month a number of bars and cafes have an “issue” with their card machine and go “cash only” ….I presume to generate some “black”.

This was happening 10-15 years ago in the former East (Chemnitz area). We would go out for dinner and our local host would say as we sat down that their card machine won't work when it is time to pay...

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I've just ordered a cashback credit card, set up the DD to pay off in full each month and when it arrives I'm going to use it instead of cash. I have finally been dragged screaming into the 21st century and I don't think I like it.

If anything goes wrong, I'm blaming you :annoyed:

As long as you manage your urges not to buy something you ought not to [i.e. would have used cash for], you'll be fine.
I will concede that for those who struggle with temptation and self-restraint, it might not be the best idea.

I hope it works for you ....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
When I upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy Z3 Flip phone a couple of weeks back (which I cuffing LOVE by btw), I got a free Galaxy Watch 4 in with the deal. I'm a smartwatch VIRGIN, so its taken me a few days to suss it all out and get it synched etc (I am in my 50s). I decided to take the plunge and see about this new fangled "pay with your watch" gubbins I see the younglings doing these days. Aside from the fact I know I look like a weapons-grade knobber when I dip my wrist on the contactless thing, I'm loving it.

I've gone full-on Captain Kirk this weekend with the orals as well, replying on the watch to text messages. Get me.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I was given £60 in notes for my birthday in September which I folded up and tucked away in my phone case. £20 is still there almost 9 months on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here