Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Cash or card ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Don’t play pool in pubs these days but apart from that all of the other things I do but all through my phone by either banking transfers or contactless payments.

Your refuse collectors and posties walk around with card readers? Where the hell are you living?

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
80% is an over exaggeration, but some I've definitely been to that charge cash only, definitely something dodgy going on there. I won't name any but there's definitely some kind of money laundering / tax dodging going on at a few of them.

I must admit the last time I watched a non-League club was Eastleigh about six years ago. If I remember correctly it was cash on entry - but is that the case now? I also wonder about the security aspect as well. If a club is charging £10 a pop, if not more, to watch a game then that’s a lot of notes floating around especially if the attendance is north of 1,500. I think I’ll make enquiries. :cheers:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Carry £30 in my wallet. Seldom use it.

Except… I’ve been raiding the ATM on a daily basis for a while as my builder prefers cash. Can’t imagine why.

taxfree.png

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Always carry cash with me - there are still lots of places that don't take cards.

As mentioned above, taxi drivers don't tend to take them. Our local chippy will take them - but only if you spend £15. Some pubs are still cash only. The Chinese restaurant we use sometimes is cash only.

Not sure I have been in a taxi recently who doesn't have a card machine

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
I typically have a float in my wallet of anything between £5 and £50 depending on the last time I went to a cash point. I feel better having a bit of cash on me just in case. Places like my local Turkish Barber only accept cash payment and my 6 year old lad likes to have actual money to put in his money box. Just a bit old fashioned I guess (me, not the boy!)

Predominantly though I use a mix of card and phone.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
£174 plus another £4.80 in the car ashtray for parking. I draw cash out of the machine in amounts to last a while
. I can never get my head round paying for anything under a 20 with a card,People who buy half a Lager or a newspaper with a phone or card really grind my gears

You'd hate me then. I paid £1.80 on my card today for a paper and a bag of crisps.

Why does it bother you ? If anything, its quicker than fumbling around with a load of shrapnel to pay with.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not sure I have been in a taxi recently who doesn't have a card machine

I've been in seven in last three or four weeks - five of them didn't take cards (I didn't ask about the other two as I had cash)

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Ah the bus, I remember them from my school days.

I took a bus ride last month for the first time in at least 30 years.
I went from the bottom of Longridge Ave [Saltdean] to Newlands Ave [just before Rottingdean] & return, probably no more than a mile each way.

The driver said "£5.50"
I joked: "Sorry mate, you misunderstand, I want a (short) ride on your bus, I don't want to BUY it."

Definitely a job for the credit card.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Why does it bother you ? If anything, its quicker than fumbling around with a load of shrapnel to pay with.

I don't fumble for change, I hand over a pound, fiver, tenner or whatever, at the end of the day pounds stay in my pocket ,useful coins go in the parking coin ashtray and coppers go in an old gallon whisky bottle.When that is full, off to one of those supermarket coin converters it will go.

Ladies count out the exact money from their purses,they fumble with change, men with purses probably do too.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I took a bus ride last month for the first time in at least 30 years.
I went from the bottom of Longridge Ave [Saltdean] to Newlands Ave [just before Rottingdean] & return, probably no more than a mile each way.

The driver said "£5.50"
I joked: "Sorry mate, you misunderstand, I want a (short) ride on your bus, I don't want to BUY it."

Definitely a job for the credit card.

gone are they days of 10p school bus fares

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'm surprised at the people who say they never use cash. Don't they ever have to pop out for a pint of milk? Don't they ever use libraries? Don't they ever give Christmas tips? Don't they use taxis? Don't they use window cleaners? Don't they ever play pool in pubs? I'd say 90% of my transactions are by card but it would be a rare month when I didn't use cash for something?

Milk = Tesco Express - self-serve till is now card only
Library = not for years have I stepped foot in a library, only read t'internet these days
Christmas tip = 2:40 running at Newmarket - is the best I'll offer
Taxi = card is king - driver told me he is less likely to be robbed / mugged if the bandits know he has less cash in the car
Window cleaner = £10 per month via Faster Payments - simples
Pool = not for me, are those tables still cash only?

Even the supermarket trolley that needs a pound coin is sorted with a same-size disk that's attached to my bunch of keys [car & house] and cost me 30p

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Slightly OT - if you're going out for the day and have a whip - how do others sort this out now - some have cash and some don't...?
Paypal used to have a thing called Moneypool which was for exactly this. they closed it down last year but you can now use Collectiv and I'm sure there are others.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What do these people who don't carry cash do when the taxi driver says "cash only"? When, two weeks ago, we'd waited 25 minutes for a cab and the driver said he didn't take cards, would you prefer to hang around for another 20 or 30 minutes to see if the next one did?

Presumably the answer is yes, but I find it a rather weird way to behave

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The pool table in the Waterside I saw is now card capable. Even some of the people on the street asking for money now have QR devices.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What do these people who don't carry cash do when the taxi driver says "cash only"? When, two weeks ago, we'd waited 25 minutes for a cab and the driver said he didn't take cards, would you prefer to hang around for another 20 or 30 minutes to see if the next one did?

Presumably the answer is yes, but I find it a rather weird way to behave

stop at a machine on the way.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Use cash wherever possible.

There's enough information held about us all without them knowing what/where we spend our cash too.

A cashless society would be a very dangerous thing, particularly for the poor.

Cash is king.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here