Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Carragher scared of playing for England

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I agree with all you say until the last sentance - i will always support my country. Never forgiven Carragher for what he said in his autobio after missing the pen that KNOCKED us out the Euros he got a text from jealous jock Kenny Dalgleish - 'f*** it it's only England', Carragher replied 'Yep I'd much rather miss for England than LFC'. Disgusting, and I do agree attitudes like this do our national team no favs atall.

Gus Poyet has the right idea, and was reitterating in the Argus' Caskey article how playing for your country is the greatest honour and pinacle of football... Unfortunately there's too many shite attitudes like Carragher's about. Utter shite.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The bit I don't like in Carragher's interview is the recurring whine that the players were "bored" in South Africa. Like playing for your country in a World Cup is the definition of tedium, and having to stay in a 5-star hotel is the pits.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Carragher is one of the few players who's interviews and opinions are vaguely interesting.

Can't see anything wrong with what he said.

And why the hell should people be immune from boredom because of how much they earn? What about us in our comfy jobs with our nice internet connections. Are we not allowed to get bored because some people exist on a bowl of rice a day?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Carragher is one of the few players who's interviews and opinions are vaguely interesting.

Can't see anything wrong with what he said.

And why the hell should people be immune from boredom because of how much they earn? What about us in our comfy jobs with our nice internet connections. Are we not allowed to get bored because some people exist on a bowl of rice a day?
Quite. Personally I find Carragher a bit of a twat but nothing wrong with what he's saying there.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Shouldn't the players have been training, talking tactics, eating the right food etc. instead of sitting round in their rooms all day, bored? Playing for your country should be the highest honour, and the only reason why England players don't get the support they get at their clubs is because, like in 2010, 3/4 of the team don't perform anywhere near the standard for their country as they do for their club, i.e. Rooney, and therefore they should get stick. Carragher is a f***ing twat. Should have never let him back in the England side for the World Cup.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Quite. Personally I find Carragher a bit of a twat but nothing wrong with what he's saying there.

he also made a small defence of the players after the world cup when the whole world and his dog who think they are football experts (probably the same people who thought Joe Cole was going to be our saviour) were saying, get some young hungry championship players in instead of these billionaire's who don't give a shit blah blah

he just pointed out that maybe, just maybe, they'd got into the premier league as players by putting in that extra bit in the first place

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Personally, and I'm no Capello, I think it is more to do with the shit players than fear.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
he also made a small defence of the players after the world cup when the whole world and his dog who think they are football experts (probably the same people who thought Joe Cole was going to be our saviour) were saying, get some young hungry championship players in instead of these billionaire's who don't give a shit blah blah

he just pointed out that maybe, just maybe, they'd got into the premier league as players by putting in that extra bit in the first place
Ultimately, a healthy dose of realism is much needed all round - Carragher can talk about fear, boredom and the gap between matches, but he is still reluctant to admit we're simply not good enough. I'd find it refreshing to hear England players admit as much. And we're really not good enough - we can't keep possession, and we rarely show enough creativity going forward to force good opponents to worry.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Ultimately, a healthy dose of realism is much needed all round - Carragher can talk about fear, boredom and the gap between matches, but he is still reluctant to admit we're simply not good enough. I'd find it refreshing to hear England players admit as much. And we're really not good enough - we can't keep possession, and we rarely show enough creativity going forward to force good opponents to worry.

and we have to many half hearted irishers in the squad because they are from a football town.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern

I agree wholeheartedly.

This country needs the Poyet school of thought, and right now.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
and we have to many half hearted irishers in the squad because they are from a football town.

What is an Irisher? Is it a scouser? If so, I'd agree. For example, I'd have dropped Steven Gerrard a long time ago, probably before Capello rocked up.

Hopefully we won't qualify for the Euros again, as if to prove the point.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can see how it might start to get repetitive being stuck in a hotel for several weeks (even a five star, all expenses paid one), but I'm sure it's nowhere near as dull as it is for the millions of office workers sat at desks for eight hours a day.

Whiny footballers get right on my NERVES.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Hopefully we won't qualify for the Euros again, as if to prove the point.

Do behave! A point was proven after the WC etc - Not a lot has changed I'd agree and not enough talent is coming through - to overhaul things will take decades. But to not want your national team playing at a major tourno...!?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can see how it might start to get repetitive being stuck in a hotel for several weeks (even a five star, all expenses paid one), but I'm sure it's nowhere near as dull as it is for the millions of office workers sat at desks for eight hours a day.

Whiny footballers get right on my NERVES.
But that's not whining is it? You have to take it in context. He's offering reasons as to why England players underperform, and that is a very valid reason.

In fact, I'm sure he wouldn't even disagree with you, and might even have said as much in that very interview, not that it will have been printed.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Do behave! A point was proven after the WC etc - Not a lot has changed I'd agree and not enough talent is coming through - to overhaul things will take decades. But to not want your national team playing at a major tourno...!?

But where is the overhaul coming from?

Has there been an FA-wide inquiry as to what's wrong with the national team, ascertain where the problems lie, involve everyone in discussions, and formulate a strategy to be put in place covering the national game from top to bottom in a manner which will assist the England side?

Or has Capello just been told to get on with it - and in so doing, tinkers with the side here and there?

Oh, hang on, Howard Wilkinson did that a few years ago, and the FA ignored it. The German FA, realising their shortcomings at the time, picked up on it and acted upon it, mind - and look where their national side is.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Wasn't too scared to agree to go on an expenses paid jaunt to South Africa last summer though was he

Honest as ever, he was describing how current England players may get uptight when playing for their country. It made sense with the the media & public very unforgiving & instantly judgemental these days. And with months between games to make good for mistakes.

The Capello hotel/camp, during a South African winter, was no jaunt by all accounts. Dull, austere & boring.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
But where is the overhaul coming from?

Has there been an FA-wide inquiry as to what's wrong with the national team, ascertain where the problems lie, involve everyone in discussions, and formulate a strategy to be put in place covering the national game from top to bottom in a manner which will assist the England side?

Or has Capello just been told to get on with it - and in so doing, tinkers with the side here and there?

Can't see one.

Doubt It.

Probably.

I agree that things are pretty tits up with it - but there are so many different reasons including players attitudes right down to problems at grassroots level i'm sure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here