Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Carragher scared of playing for England

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
And your contribution to this intelligent debate on English football?

About as much as aggressive bores watching their young sons playing football and bellowing "get stuck into him", and the Tony Pulis-like "get in their faces" ...

NIL.

Whilst the germans, spanish, portugese march on.

That was my comment on the thread about Jamie carragher.

For my views on the state of English football, go to my comments on the thread titled "do the fa do enough at grass roots level to develop teamwork" or the thread on "does the pc brigades desire to take away kids experience of losing in sport have an impact in the next sporting generation".

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Carragher is one of the few players who's interviews and opinions are vaguely interesting.

Can't see anything wrong with what he said.

And why the hell should people be immune from boredom because of how much they earn? What about us in our comfy jobs with our nice internet connections. Are we not allowed to get bored because some people exist on a bowl of rice a day?
You cant see anything wrong with him agreeing with " f*** it its only england ?" you've just reminded me why i think you're such a twot.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The 'kicking off', as you put it, had one last hurrah in France 98

indeed we surfaced out the tube station in marseille for the tunisia game to be greeted by the Stanley Deason Old Boys Society in full swing. That was a funny day.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Don't let Carragher take the penalty kicks!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Carraghers very intelligent and f***ing ace. He's a rare breed in football and one of the finest defenders of the past 15 years. If he's saying something it's usually the truth.

Lurker

62 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Carraghers very intelligent and f***ing ace. He's a rare breed in football and one of the finest defenders of the past 15 years. If he's saying something it's usually the truth.

Carragher is the classic marmite footballer. A bit like Heskey, and Lampard and David James and many others over the years.
Half the nation love him ... half the nation hate him (as a footballer, none of us know him as a person).

Each half will never agree with the other half's opinion.

I'm of the view that Carragher was vastly overrated even at his peak, and should never have got near an England cap, let alone had the opportunity to stick two fingers up at England and flounce out of the squad.

A player with his limited ability should have been begging for a place just to sit on the international bench, not throwing his toys out because he wasn't an automatic selection.

Can't forgive him for that.

................ especially as it moved Wes Brown up the pecking order!

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
You cant see anything wrong with him agreeing with " f*** it its only england ?" you've just reminded me why i think you're such a twot.

and where, pray tell, in the article I was talking about did he say that?

How's the anger management going?

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
I can see how it might start to get repetitive being stuck in a hotel for several weeks (even a five star, all expenses paid one), but I'm sure it's nowhere near as dull as it is for the millions of office workers sat at desks for eight hours a day.

Whiny footballers get right on my NERVES.

this is exactly my point. Why should office workers be allowed to moan about being bored? They're better off than people with no jobs. And what about people with no jobs? How can they moan if they've got a roof over their head and some benefits etc etc.

We're all prone to boredom however lucky we may be.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
But why didn't the players take some books, an iPod or a puzzle with them? If I knew I was going to be holed up in a hotel for a reasonable amount of time knowing I had to be at my best I might use some personal responsibility and do something about the possibility of being bored.

Agree with this and was gonna post something similar yesterday along with the Hargreaves story from 2006. He rented a car and went to visit some local villages and cultural sites. When they were stuck in the hotel with downtime he read Milan Kundera. Not surprising he was our best player of the tournament. Comfortable in his own company and not a gibbering wreck when he hasn't got mates around.

On the Andorra Gerrard stuff, always had time for Gerrard. He's never been a confident captain but he's always stood up to be counted and his performance in that game was a case in point. As with Beckham against Greece. Before Carragher mouths off about boredom, as HerrTubthumper says, take some f***ing personal responsibility to make things better instead of whining and making excuses. I take the point also that we shouldn't stop supporting the England team but until we do we will get the team we deserve. Rob Green is the one who epitomises it for me. I've actually always liked Carragher for his honesty but he's missing the point here in my view.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The bit I don't like in Carragher's interview is the recurring whine that the players were "bored" in South Africa. Like playing for your country in a World Cup is the definition of tedium, and having to stay in a 5-star hotel is the pits.

Actually, I can understand this. I have been away to top hotels on business and it can be very boring. It might sound nice if you're not used to it, but it wears thin very quickly - don't forget, they can't leave the hotel and can't eat & drink what they want.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Carragher is the classic marmite footballer. A bit like Heskey, and Lampard and David James and many others over the years.
Half the nation love him ... half the nation hate him (as a footballer, none of us know him as a person).

Each half will never agree with the other half's opinion.

I'm of the view that Carragher was vastly overrated even at his peak, and should never have got near an England cap, let alone had the opportunity to stick two fingers up at England and flounce out of the squad.

A player with his limited ability should have been begging for a place just to sit on the international bench, not throwing his toys out because he wasn't an automatic selection.

Can't forgive him for that.

................ especially as it moved Wes Brown up the pecking order!

You're wrong. And you're probably a Man United flirter so i understand the wrongness. Carragher has the general defending awareness of Baresi in his pomp. He's a lot slower now but he'd still be in the England squad if he fancied it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Actually, I can understand this. I have been away to top hotels on business and it can be very boring. It might sound nice if you're not used to it, but it wears thin very quickly - don't forget, they can't leave the hotel and can't eat & drink what they want.

Just out of interest, how did you deal with it? Did you whine and moan to anyone who would listen and then not bother to turn up for the work engagement? Or did you just get on with it?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Just out of interest, how did you deal with it? Did you whine and moan to anyone who would listen and then not bother to turn up for the work engagement? Or did you just get on with it?

Just got on with it of course, but the stakes were not so high and I didn't have press asking me about it all the time. For me, if he is asked a question as to his opinion on why England failed at the WC and he tries to give an honest answer - that's not a whinge, but I suspect I'll be in the minority on this one.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

probably wasnt in his early twenties had kids going your brilliant at him 8 billion times a day and more money than he knew what to do with, or had his boss making him do loads of repetitive and exhausting exercises all day, in fairness. staying in a nice hotel for a few weeks hardly puts you into the mindset of an england international in any real sense apart from the being in a hotel bit.

did he go out on the piss with work in the evening?

could he eat what he liked?

could he get a bird round?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
probably wasnt in his early twenties had kids going your brilliant at him 8 billion times a day and more money than he knew what to do with, or had his boss making him do loads of repetitive and exhausting exercises all day, in fairness. staying in a nice hotel for a few weeks hardly puts you into the mindset of an england international in any real sense apart from the being in a hotel bit.

did he go out on the piss with work in the evening?

could he eat what he liked?

could he get a bird round?

Whatever, all I know is I've witnessed decades of failure, decades of finger pointing and blame, and decades of it never ever being the players fault. One day though, the excuses will run out, there will literally be nothing or no one else to blame. Then, maybe, the England players might just take a look at themselves.

There was a pundit during the world cup who said being a supreme athlete is not just about your technical ability but also your mindset. This is what separates you from the rest, your ability to turn it on anywhere, anytime and being able to adapt to different climates, conditions and situations. This is all you need to know about the England team.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just got on with it of course, but the stakes were not so high and I didn't have press asking me about it all the time. For me, if he is asked a question as to his opinion on why England failed at the WC and he tries to give an honest answer - that's not a whinge, but I suspect I'll be in the minority on this one.

Ahhhhh, the stakes are too high, press asking a few questions. FFS. How fragile are English footballers? They seem full of confidence when they're asking for pay increases....and shrinking violets when under the microscope.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here