Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Caroline Lucas MP Discrace!!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
On the 15 March this year my father unexpectedly passed away, naturaly a period of greiving for my mum, me and brother followed with amongst many things his personal affairs such as insurance, pensions, the list is endless as many will testify, my father was retired and recieved a generous pension from his ex employers which naturaly was taxed, we believe that he anualy retuned his tax return on time. Within a week of his passing we informed HMRC of his death and sent a death cert. on their advice, the advisor on the phone suggested that then on receipt the pervebial account was closed!

July of this year my mother (77) starts receiving tax demands, the first few still in my late fathers name!! now with the courtsey of (deceased) c/o, for sums ranging from £800-£1100 still owed, my mum wanted to just send them the money and be done but we said no and my partner got written permision to act on my mums behalf and started acting.

After a decent conversation with an agent who clearly showed empathy it was agreed quite rightly thatmy mother doesnt owe a bean to HMRC, so we thought that was that, but nope after a gap of two months my mum has recieved yet another demand!

On the 3 December we wrote via email to Caroline Lucas (my mothers MP) asking for her help and advice, after 10 days of nothing, not even an automated response or perhaps contact from an assistant we wrote again on the 10 December and as of yet still no response,I'm f***ing livid with her, she has been elected to serve the people of Brighton Pavilion and she hasnt even got the decency to respond, apart from my anger with HMRC I genuinly thought this women would at least repond and perhaps offer an opinion!!

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
When my dad passed away we also got a demand from HMRC. I phoned them up and provided them with a death certificate and the matter was closed. I think you need to phone up the HMRC again. Its disgusting the Caroline Lucas has not replied your letter, but the problem is with the HMRC. Get back on to phone with them. All you will end up doing is creating more work and more hassle for yourself and more stress for yourself and your mum. Its not worth it. Its distressing enough losing your dad. Trust me, phone them up and it would probably get sorted.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
You didn't think she's in politics to help people did you?
Yes I actualy do, here's a quote from her website," Now Caroline's elected to Parliament, she will fight for a fair deal for older people. That means a decent basic pension for all of £170 a week - and free care and support for older people living independently at home, in sheltered or extra-care housing or in residential care".

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Sorry to hear about this. We had a similar situation when my father died (not HMRC, but money problems which Mum wanted to ignore). Sadly, I am not surprised that this MP has failed to reply. The day sof constituency MPs being thier for their constituents appear to be long gone. The last truely brilliant constituency representative I can remember was Andrew Bowden - the Conservative for Kemptown from 1970 to 1992 (until the constituency was targeted by Labour). Was elected by people who knew him to represent them (not a party) in Westminster. Far too few of those left Chicken Run, so sad to say, I'm not surprised.

[Case for two types of MP? 350 representing consituents in parliament and 300 representing a party? Too sensible an idea!]

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Two fingers up to green voters in my book. However I dont see what she or any MP could do?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
When my dad passed away we also got a demand from HMRC. I phoned them up and provided them with a death certificate and the matter was closed. I think you need to phone up the HMRC again. Its disgusting the Caroline Lucas has not replied your letter, but the problem is with the HMRC. Get back on to phone with them. All you will end up doing is creating more work and more hassle for yourself and more stress for yourself and your mum. Its not worth it. Its distressing enough losing your dad. Trust me, phone them up and it would probably get sorted.
We have rung them many times and as with all call centre enviroments you find yourself starting from the begining everytime, with have written to them of several occaisions, we genuinely thought that she would offer a different prospective!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
She might be on holiday, or any other business that maybe slightly higher on the agenda than an individual tax issue. You are talking 6 working days since you sent your first email, in a busy month, I think she deserves a little bit more of a chance before she is labelled a 'disgrace'...

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Of course, had you started your letter complaining about the traffic or nuclear power stations, I think you may have had a personal visit with local TV news in tow.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Two fingers up to green voters in my book. However I dont see what she or any MP could do?
One would hope that she has the interests of one of her constituents, however I have just been given a link to her home page detailing her recent activity in Parliament!!
Green Climate Fund | Energy and Climate Change | Written Answers
2010/12/13 00:00

To ask the Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change pursuant to the answer of 22 November 2010, Official Report, column 43, on climate change: developing countries, when he expects the Green Climate Fund to be (a) designed and (b) operational.

USA: Cluster Munitions | Defence | Written Answers

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence whether the Government has reached any understanding with the US administration that the Secretary of State may give authorisation for US cluster munitions to be brought into or carried through the UK or its overseas territories; whether any such arrangement was discussed with US officials prior to Royal Assent to the Cluster Munitions (Prohibition) Act 2009; and if he will make a statement.

Departmental Courier Services | Home Department | Written Answers

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what information her Department has provided to its trade unions side on staff in the Mail Messenger Service in the last six months; whether all information provided to private companies on such staff has been provided to the trade union side; and if she will make a statement.

Iran: Prisoners | Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs | Written Answers

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
She might be on holiday, or any other business that maybe slightly higher on the agenda than an individual tax issue. You are talking 6 working days since you sent your first email, in a busy month, I think she deserves a little bit more of a chance before she is labelled a 'disgrace'...

Can't stand the woman personally, but I tend to agree. I don't know how many aides she has, but presumably she spends most of her time in London, and as unfortunate as it is for the family, I doubt this would be anywhere near top of her agenda.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Fair point here is what I would have got one of my assistants to respond with."Thank you for bringinging your concerns to Dr Lucas, as a constituent we value yor concerns and when Dr Lucas has had a chance to evaluate your situation we will be in touch.... " That took me 30 seconds to type!!!

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Have you contacted the Citizen's Advice Bureau?

They're probably in a better position to help challenge individual tax desicions than a minority party MP.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have found that you may just as well ring father christmas as ring HMRC. I write a letter using 2nd class post and every time I receive a letter from them I send another one simply saying you have been advised about this in my letter of ....... enclosed is a copy and the situation hasnt changed. Then send that off by 2nd class post provided you are right and keep copies you should be ok just takes a little time to change the date on a saved letter and print it out.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Agreed. But feeling righteous about an MP has its draws!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I wrote to Dr Lucas on a matter she is very concerned with - public transport (that's not to say she doesn't give a stuff about other issues). I got a reply after about 10 days or so, which appears to be the going rate.

What this issue has to do with party politics - as someone who tried to make out - I've no idea.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Fair point here is what I would have got one of my assistants to respond with."Thank you for bringinging your concerns to Dr Lucas, as a constituent we value yor concerns and when Dr Lucas has had a chance to evaluate your situation we will be in touch.... " That took me 30 seconds to type!!!

I agree on that point, she could even have an automated email response that emails are logged and processed in a certain time frame. I could set that up for her!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Sorry. Disagree with that. The absolute minimum you should expect from a public servant is:

- an acknowledgement of recepit (so that you know they have it);
- an expected response time/date (so that you know when to expect a reply. Also, how seriously they are taking it and if you might need to apply more pressure).
- ideally an explanation of the process they go through between receipt and response (so that you will know what type of reply to expect when they do get back to you).

Conmfirmation of receipt; timeframe for reply; process they will go through. That's what I'd want from any company but especially from my MP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here