Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Carl Rushworth

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I think we loaned Christian Walton to death too.
Christian Walton‘s level has turned out to be League One, while we were Premier League when he left.
Ultimately their success comes down to how good they are, not the number of loans.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We’ve also got Kjell Scherpen out on loan. Not as young but on a long term contract and still young in goalkeeper terms.
Yeh, they must stil rate him seeing as they extended his contract only 6 months ago. Never seen him play, but did watch him warming up alongside Sanchez against Liverpool a couple of seasons ago - he certainly looks the part!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Yeh, they must stil rate him seeing as they extended his contract only 6 months ago. Never seen him play, but did watch him warming up alongside Sanchez against Liverpool a couple of seasons ago - he certainly looks the part!
I’ve seen Beadle a few times and he also looks the part.
Steele is very possibly the fifth best keeper at Brighton, and that’s not even a disgrace.
Tom MacGill is probably our sixth best and he’s in the international picture.
Bonkers.
I just hope we don’t give few of them away on the cheap, as they’re all decent.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Probably will if the offer is good enough. We have 3 seriously talented young keepers challending for one single spot: Bart (21), Rushworth (22) and Beadle (19). Chances are that two of them will need to be sold over the next 2-3 years.
It's such a shame we had to go out and buy a GK last summer. De Zerbi got away with playing Steele for half a season, but it obviously couldn't continue; we then had to spend last season with one GK who wasn't quite good enough and one who wasn't quite ready. Maybe - just maybe - with hindsight, we could have used Rushworth to share with and eventually replace Steele (and saved ourselves the best part of £20M).

As it is, it looks as if we'll have to end up selling our two young potential England GKs, probably at less than full value (due to no PL experience).

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's such a shame we had to go out and buy a GK last summer. De Zerbi got away with playing Steele for half a season, but it obviously couldn't continue; we then had to spend last season with one GK who wasn't quite good enough and one who wasn't quite ready. Maybe - just maybe - with hindsight, we could have used Rushworth to share with and eventually replace Steele (and saved ourselves the best part of £20M).

As it is, it looks as if we'll have to end up selling our two young potential England GKs, probably at less than full value (due to no PL experience).
With the benefit of hindsight, this is exactly how I feel.

It sort of indicates that there was a level of disconnect between the recruitment team and RDZ as I'm fairly sure that we didn't spend 20m on Bart with the intention of him being sat on the bench for more that half the season. Having said that, there's a good chance that we get that money back by selling one of them over the next 2-3 transfer windows.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Nothing we're not already discussing on here, but in case you didn't see it, Naylor put out an article this morning on the transfer window, and on Rushworth said:

A decision has to be made about Rushworth. Either he competes with Verbruggen to be No 1 at the expense of Steele, or he is loaned out or sold to a top-flight club. 😂

Last edited:

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
From what I read, he was pretty desperate to go on loan to some Championship club last year to adapt to British football. Guess we didn't find a club for him. Not followed him closely for Sturm Graz but maybe a Championship club would be willing to take him on now.

Everything I've seen from him (mainly when we loaned him to Vitesse) is really hit or miss... excellent games and saves mixed with pretty terrible stuff.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Nothing we're not already discussing on here, but in case you didn't see it, Naylor put out an article this morning on the transfer window, and on Rushworth said:

A decision has to be made about Rushworth. Either he competes with Verbruggen to be No 1 at the expense of Steele, or he is loaned out or sold to a top-flight club.
Cheers. Sort of decision the new manager will have to make in July after seeing both in traing and, hopefully, Bart in the Euros.

Having someone as good as Rushworth on the bench all season is a bit of a luxury that could affect us elsewhere. If we're offered a good price for him, such as 20m, it'd be better to accept and spend that money on strengthening our midfield options rather than have 20m worth of GK stuck on the bench waiting for his team mate to get injured.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003

A decision has to be made about Rushworth. Either he competes with Verbruggen to be No 1 at the expense of Steele, or he is loaned out or sold to a top-flight club.
I'm not one to get on Naylor's case but in this instance, talk about stating the bleedin' obvious :rolleyes:

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
From what I read, he was pretty desperate to go on loan to some Championship club last year to adapt to British football. Guess we didn't find a club for him. Not followed him closely for Sturm Graz but maybe a Championship club would be willing to take him on now.
He did well for Graz until he was injured.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

So he’s staying, going out on loan or being sold. Top quality insightful journalism there from Naylor :laugh:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Difficult for a young(ish) goalkeeper, already at 22, had three full seasons if loans at different clubs. Is there really that much more to be gained in sending him out on loan to a Championship club for yet another year?

Personally think probably not, now is the time to see if he can stand up and be counted in the Premier League and try to oust Jason Steele from the squad.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
With the benefit of hindsight, this is exactly how I feel.

It sort of indicates that there was a level of disconnect between the recruitment team and RDZ as I'm fairly sure that we didn't spend 20m on Bart with the intention of him being sat on the bench for more that half the season. Having said that, there's a good chance that we get that money back by selling one of them over the next 2-3 transfer windows.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I see that Koeman has stated that Bart will be the Netherland's No.1 keeper at the Euros. I thought it had some relevence to this discussion as, in my opinion, I can only see Rushworth returning back to us if Bart has a great tournament and we get an offer we can't refuse from one of the big clubs.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I see that Koeman has stated that Bart will be the Netherland's No.1 keeper at the Euros. I thought it had some relevence to this discussion as, in my opinion, I can only see Rushworth returning back to us if Bart has a great tournament and we get an offer we can't refuse from one of the big clubs.
Well, it would be a shame if we had to let both our young potential England GKs go! - and that's what it's looking like at the moment.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Rushworth links to Ipswich won't go away (ditto Steels links with other PL teams).

Hmm it’s a tough call.

Keep Rushworth and perhaps he gets limited game time competing for No.1/plays cup games. Or one more year developing on loan then reassess next summer?

I guess it also depends on what Steele wants. For me he’s either here purely as back-up or let him leave if he has suitors. If he does leave, then I suppose Rushworth is in the match day squad.

Either way, selling Rushworth now would be the worst move. Can’t see that happening.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Hmm it’s a tough call.

Keep Rushworth and perhaps he gets limited game time competing for No.1/plays cup games. Or one more year developing on loan then reassess next summer?

I guess it also depends on what Steele wants. For me he’s either here purely as back-up or let him leave if he has suitors. If he does leave, then I suppose Rushworth is in the match day squad.

Either way, selling Rushworth now would be the worst move. Can’t see that happening.
Yup. No way he gets sold.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here