Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Capello Confirmed - No English in backroom staff

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
Capello named new England manager

Capello will bring a glittering CV to the England job
Fabio Capello has been confirmed as the new England manager after the details of his contract were finalised with the Football Association.
The Italian signed a four-and-a-half year deal - reportedly worth £6m a year, with an opt out after 2010.

Capello's backroom staff will consist of Franco Baldini, Italo Galbiati, Franco Tancredi and Massimo Neri.

Capello, 61, will discuss with Sir Trevor Brooking how to integrate an English presence into the set-up.

Archive: Capello's goal against England at Wembley
Interview: Fabio Capello on Football Focus 24/11/07
Sven-Goran Eriksson's view of Capello

England Under-21 coach Stuart Pearce was among those seen arriving at the FA's headquarters in Soho Square, London, on Friday.

Alan Shearer, Tony Adams and David Platt have also been linked with a role in Capello's backroom team.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I hope he'll set it up with proper attacking coaches, defensive coaches, GK coaches and midfield coaches so we have a properly strong team for the future.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
No English in backroom staff?

That's pretty much success guaranteed then.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The sad truth is he is the best option but not english so well done the FA for getting it right however please now have a succession plan in place for an english manager when Capello goes.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Why do we pay the most AND offer the longest contracts in International football?

The FA themselves have much to answer for. It was they, who appointed McClaren..............and they, who have decided to appoint a manager who has won TWO league titles in the corrupt and rigged Italian league, and Two titles in the two-team Spanish league in the last ELEVEN years...!
The FA should hang their heads in shame and resign.

A manager now, who apparently speaks little English.........brilliant....!

The FA themselves have much to answer for. It was they, who appointed McClaren..............and they, who have decided to appoint a manager who has won TWO league titles in the corrupt and rigged Italian league, and Two titles in the two-team Spanish league in the last ELEVEN years...!
The FA should hang their heads in shame and resign.

A manager now, who apparently speaks little English.........brilliant....!

Sorry, are you taking the piss? Who was available and better who wanted the job then?

In answer to BoF, I'm not sure what the other major countries offer to new top class managers, but I'd imagine that the 4 year deal is to offer a measure of security with the job... if they offered him 2 years, with the chance to get rid if (god forbid) we didn't qualify for the world cup, would that really be an incentive for top managers to take it? Especially after the treatment dealt out to McClaren?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Sorry, are you taking the piss? Who was available and better who wanted the job then?

In answer to BoF, I'm not sure what the other major countries offer to new top class managers, but I'd imagine that the 4 year deal is to offer a measure of security with the job... if they offered him 2 years, with the chance to get rid if (god forbid) we didn't qualify for the world cup, would that really be an incentive for top managers to take it? Especially after the treatment dealt out to McClaren?

But on the other hand if he turns out to be shit and we want to get rid then a £24m contract pay-off could be on the cards. Nice work if you can get it.

I never really understand why at international level they don't put performance clauses into the contracts along the lines of if you don't qualify for a major tournament we can terminate your contract immediately with no compensation due.

I mean if you're being paid £6m a year to do a job you've got to expect a bit of ruthlessness to come with the territory if you don't perform.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I bet that lot adds up to ten million a year, it is obscene.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Great, a return to Italian style football as practised by Sven to which the English game and mentality is totally unsuited.

Would much have preferred Coppell myself. As I've fallen out of love with the England football team, I'll give all the dull 1-0 and 0-0 games a miss probably and re-appear for the 1/4 finals in 5 years when we lose "unluckily" to a better team.

Shearer, Adams and Platt as backroom boys, that is a joke right? I wouldn't want any or all of them on a shortlist for the Albion job. WTF are they doing anywhere near the England setup? Even more incredible if any of them are being groomed (bad choice of word in the modern world I know)as the next England manager.

Last edited:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Don't think having no English backroom staff is necessarly a problem, would rather Capello worked with people he is comfortable with rather than be forced to work with Platt, or Shearer. I'm also not convinced that having an Englishman as his assistant would mean he could successfully suceed Capello either, as that certainly didn't work with McClaren.

What we need to have an English manager in charge of the national team is to have Englishmen in charge of the top teams in the country...... as clubs continue to appoint supposed 'big' jobs to people from other countries i feel it maybe many many years before we have an Englishman in charge of our national team again

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Two titles in the two-team Spanish league

Think Valencia might have something to say about that!! Of course Capellos achievements fall significantly low when you compare them to the great English candidates on offer

Redknapp - Managed a few teams to the dizzy heights of the bottom half of the Premiership curently sitting amongst the clubs in the second tier of the premiership. Likes a bung!

Big Sam - Got Bolton into Europe now hardly setting the world alight at Newcastle despite far more resources. Likes a bung!

Curbishley - Charlton now West Ham won nothing

Coppell - Has managed Reading to Premiership mediocrity

No league winners medals, no european medals, no experience of managing top players............... but wait they have badges and are English f*ck someone get hold of the FA they have made a terrible mistake (someone told them about the badges right??)

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Think Valencia might have something to say about that!! Of course Capellos achievements fall significantly low when you compare them to the great English candidates on offer

Redknapp - Managed a few teams to the dizzy heights of the bottom half of the Premiership curently sitting amongst the clubs in the second tier of the premiership. Likes a bung!

Big Sam - Got Bolton into Europe now hardly setting the world alight at Newcastle despite far more resources. Likes a bung!

Curbishley - Charlton now West Ham won nothing

Coppell - Has managed Reading to Premiership mediocrity

No league winners medals, no european medals, no experience of managing top players............... but wait they have badges and are English f*ck someone get hold of the FA they have made a terrible mistake (someone told them about the badges right??)

Sorry.....would that be the same Valencia, who are 7th in their league with 4 home defeats out of 7 played....?

The English Premiership is dominated by those clubs with the most money..i.e. Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal, not necessarily the best managers.Wenger is the only foreign manager, who has consistently performed well in the Premiership, and IMHO is indeed a very talented manager. The failures of foreign managers in the Premiership is far in excess of those who have been successful.
Until, managers like Curbishly are given a chance with a top (money) club, it will always "appear" that England do not produce good managers.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Sorry.....would that be the same Valencia, who are 7th in their league with 4 home defeats out of 7 played....?

The English Premiership is dominated by those clubs with the most money..i.e. Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal, not necessarily the best managers.Wenger is the only foreign manager, who has consistently performed well in the Premiership, and IMHO is indeed a very talented manager. The failures of foreign managers in the Premiership is far in excess of those who have been successful.
Until, managers like Curbishly are given a chance with a top (money) club, it will always "appear" that England do not produce good managers.

Valencia have been poor this season but are you seriously suggesting they are a second fiddle spanish team???!!!!

The top clubs with the most money can't afford to take a 'chance' which is why generally they hire top coaches from abroad. Perhaps our managers should come out of the big money premiership and prove themselves abroad as they clearly have such huge undiscovered qualities?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here