Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Capello Confirmed - No English in backroom staff

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Valencia have been poor this season but are you seriously suggesting they are a second fiddle spanish team???!!!!

The top clubs with the most money can't afford to take a 'chance' which is why generally they hire top coaches from abroad. Perhaps our managers should come out of the big money premiership and prove themselves abroad as they clearly have such huge undiscovered qualities?

Redknapp would fit in in Italy.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Valencia have been poor this season but are you seriously suggesting they are a second fiddle spanish team???!!!!

The top clubs with the most money can't afford to take a 'chance' which is why generally they hire top coaches from abroad. Perhaps our managers should come out of the big money premiership and prove themselves abroad as they clearly have such huge undiscovered qualities?

Yes, it,s a good point. Maybe some of our managers should manage a team abroad in the mostly two-team leagues, and then all the "experts" will believe they can walk on water too...
The simple FACTS are that failures among foreign managers are just as high as the English managers in the Premiership, despite all the mad hype about how good they are.
Capello.......ONE European Cup success...........13 years ago.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Capello Confirmed - No English in backroom staff

I think thats good, it means no-one is there just for being English, If Capello wanted an English assistant, someone who he thought was good enough, then they would have been appointed by him, not forced on him as somekind of token gesture.

We need the best men for the job..... reguardless of nationality, if that means no English presence, then so be it

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Yes, it,s a good point. Maybe some of our managers should manage a team abroad in the mostly two-team leagues, and then all the "experts" will believe they can walk on water too...
The simple FACTS are that failures among foreign managers are just as high as the English managers in the Premiership, despite all the mad hype about how good they are.

I think people are getting a bit too hung up on the foreign element of this!! I think Capello is a great appointment not because he is Italian but because he has a proven history of winning at the top level and is one of the top coaches available at the moment

Of course you seem more than happy to belittle his achievements and happy to ignore his stature in the game. But then again you seem to suggest that the 'two team' European leagues are in some way inferior to the mighty English league?

Just out of interest who would have been your choice to be the next England coach??

Oct 25, 2003

1) 'failures of foreign managers are just as high as the english managers'

winning managers of the premiership:

alex ferguson- scottish
kenny dalglish- scottish
arsene wenger- french
jose mourinho- portugese

the best that i can remember an english manager doing was kevin keegan guiding newcastle to 2nd

2) 'two team leagues'

serie a winners since 1992-93:

a.c milan
juventus
lazio
roma
inter

=5

la liga winners since 1992-93

barcelona
real madrid
athletico madrid
deportivo la coruna
valencia

=5

premiership winners since 1992-93

manchester united
blackburn rovers
arsenal
chelsea

=4

hmmmm...............what was your point again?

3) 'Capello.......ONE European Cup success...........13 years ago'

last english managers to win european cup?

But on the other hand if he turns out to be shit and we want to get rid then a £24m contract pay-off could be on the cards. Nice work if you can get it.

I never really understand why at international level they don't put performance clauses into the contracts along the lines of if you don't qualify for a major tournament we can terminate your contract immediately with no compensation due.

I mean if you're being paid £6m a year to do a job you've got to expect a bit of ruthlessness to come with the territory if you don't perform.

totally agree................................but then its the FA here.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If England win anything, it will be like a stick of Brighton rock with 'Made In Italy' running through it.

True but who reads where it was made and does it detract from the enjoyment when you consider that it may taste much better than the tacky goods on offer at the moment ( in the football rather than the rock that is! :))

After all how sad do you have to be to worry about where the rock is made, if it tastes ok?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I think you need to get behind the team, the eleven that take to the field and can influence the game are English. After McLaren everyone asked Barwick to deliver a world class coach, he has delivered that and now everyone is moaning that he wants italian coaches with him. Barwick just can't win.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Press Conference on Sky Sports News NOW!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
its a SHAMBLES..he cant speak ENGLISH...the World Cup Dream Is OVER!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
its a SHAMBLES..he cant speak ENGLISH...the World Cup Dream Is OVER!

You are joking? This is the man who told Beckham at Real Madrid that it was a Spanish club and no English would be spoken and to make sure he learnt Spanish pronto if he wanted to fit in.

I assume him and his cohorts will be taking his own advise?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
he'll learn English, he HAS too and he learnt spanish well enough whilst at Real

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Who exactly are these English "coaches" and "backroom staff" that he should be appointing?

Of the names that have been bandied about, Pearce, Platt and Adams have been abject failures as club managers, and Shearer has NO experience and isn't even qualified.

If you're going to pay Capello £6 million a year then don't tie one arm behind his back by insisting he has to employ Alan Shearer on £200K a year to put out the cones 15 times a year.

And anyone who thinks coaches who don't come from the country they manage are a bad thing - try telling that to the Greeks who employed German Otto Rehagel, who then led them to Euro 2004 victory.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I don't really mind who is in charge as long as our millionaire playboys get a kick up the arse and start playing to win.

Most of our National squad work under foreign Managers anyway, what the f*** difference does it make to them?

BTW this "Redknapp" campaign...are they serious? harry is a good manager but England? come on!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
True but who reads where it was made and does it detract from the enjoyment when you consider that it may taste much better than the tacky goods on offer at the moment ( in the football rather than the rock that is! :))

After all how sad do you have to be to worry about where the rock is made, if it tastes ok?

But sometimes when I'm sucking rock I get impatient, and I end up taking a bite. Then it gets overly chewy and ends up stuck in my teeth, and in this situation its also quite easy to end up with an involuntary dribble, resulting in an unpleasant sticky mess running down the chin.

I'm not sure how any of this relates to Fabio Capello, but its a worry.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
he no speakada inglisha

atta alla

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
there are loads of Italians asking questions in the press conference!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here