Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cannabis.

griff9

Mar 17, 2009
brighton
The concern is that by doing this it could benifit the current drug pushers, if they are able to buy it legally and cheaply, what would stop them adding on a "tax" of their own and selling this on?
The other concern being that if cannabis is really that much of an effort for them to get hold of, would they turn to harsher drugs which are easier to get hold of for a buzz?

The meow meow situation in 2010 for example, it was cheap, legal and easy to buy, easier than cannabis in fact, Thye had no idea what they were taking (a few probably did, and didnt really care!) but they still did,
After it was made illegal they were going underground to buy it for more money than when it was legal!

As i said in my last post, what would stop them buying it and putting on a tax of their own is the £10,000 fine they would be ordered to pay if caught doing so, or the 5 years in prison maybe..

The other thing that would stop them selling it on is the fact it wouldn't be in there benefit to..

Children don't have ridiculous amounts of money, meaning that the weeds resale value wouldn't be much more then what the adult bought it for, which would make it not worth the hassle of getting a fine or a prison sentence for selling on to children.

Plus they're would be no deals when buying bulk so there wouldn't be as much margin for them to earn out of it as there is now..

Can understand your point about them turning to something else, but personally I'm for the legalization and regulation of all drugs meaning it would be just as difficult for them to get hold of class A's or other drugs..

Personally i feel that had cocaine, MDMA and other uppers been regulated and readily available at reasonable prices, then the whole meow saga wouldn't have happened as there would not have been as much of a market for the chinese to enter / more competition for them to work against ...

The whole reason meow spread so badly was because it was so much better then all the other drugs on the market (cheap and 100% pure) - it wiped the floor of all competition whilst being even more dangerous then the more well known uppers in the process..

If the government had been selling pure cocaine and MDMA, then people would have had no reason / not as much reason to try some random unknown chinese drugs that they do not know the risks of...

They'd look at the options and think unknown chemical drug from china 100% pure which we do not know the risks of... or 100% pure cocaine that the government supplies and tells us the risks of when we buy it in a night club.. I know what i'd rather have been taking..

Instead the options were crap overpriced cocaine thats cut with all sorts of crap at £50 a g, inferior fake mdma at crap prices.. or 100% pure random drug at £10 a gram... The government shot themselves in the foot with that one i think.. :lolol:

I'd also like to add I'm with Rad on this one... People can do whatever they want to do... I have friends who smoke weed before going to work and always have all the way through uni and work whilst still holding top jobs / getting top grades... I also have friends who have gone on the dole and done nothing with their lives that don't smoke weed, and friends that do smoke weed who have also done the same... We as humans can do anything we wish, they're is nothing stopping us but ourselves and a bit of weed isn't to blame for the children's lack of motivation in my opinion, much more to do with the way they were raised...

And I'm also reasonably sure it's much easier to brew ale or alcohol then it is to grow weed..

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
for my age I have a great job that pays well, great social life, I'm down the gym 4 nights a week and couldn't really be happier.
wanker

dibbydoo

DibbyDoo
Aug 1, 2011
Brighton
As i said in my last post, what would stop them buying it and putting on a tax of their own is the £10,000 fine they would be ordered to pay if caught doing so, or the 5 years in prison maybe..

The other thing that would stop them selling it on is the fact it wouldn't be in there benefit to..

Children don't have ridiculous amounts of money, meaning that the weeds resale value wouldn't be much more then what the adult bought it for, which would make it not worth the hassle of getting a fine or a prison sentence for selling on to children.

Plus they're would be no deals when buying bulk so there wouldn't be as much margin for them to earn out of it as there is now..

Can understand your point about them turning to something else, but personally I'm for the legalization and regulation of all drugs meaning it would be just as difficult for them to get hold of class A's or other drugs..

Personally i feel that had cocaine, MDMA and other uppers been regulated and readily available at reasonable prices, then the whole meow saga wouldn't have happened as there would not have been as much of a market for the chinese to enter / more competition for them to work against ...

The whole reason meow spread so badly was because it was so much better then all the other drugs on the market (cheap and 100% pure) - it wiped the floor of all competition whilst being even more dangerous then the more well known uppers in the process..

If the government had been selling pure cocaine and MDMA, then people would have had no reason / not as much reason to try some random unknown chinese drugs that they do not know the risks of...

They'd look at the options and think unknown chemical drug from china 100% pure which we do not know the risks of... or 100% pure cocaine that the government supplies and tells us the risks of when we buy it in a night club.. I know what i'd rather have been taking..

Instead the options were crap overpriced cocaine thats cut with all sorts of crap at £50 a g, inferior fake mdma at crap prices.. or 100% pure random drug at £10 a gram... The government shot themselves in the foot with that one i think.. :lolol:

I'd also like to add I'm with Rad on this one... People can do whatever they want to do... I have friends who smoke weed before going to work and always have all the way through uni and work whilst still holding top jobs / getting top grades... I also have friends who have gone on the dole and done nothing with their lives that don't smoke weed, and friends that do smoke weed who have also done the same... We as humans can do anything we wish, they're is nothing stopping us but ourselves and a bit of weed isn't to blame for the children's lack of motivation in my opinion, much more to do with the way they were raised...

And I'm also reasonably sure it's much easier to brew ale or alcohol then it is to grow weed..

I have never tried to grow weed or brew alcohol, therefore i have no idea!

I didnt state that its totally to blame for the lack of motivation but it plays a huge part in it, i guess also it all depends on personal outlook and exprience really, the area where i work is totally different to the town next door which is a 5 minute drive away, and kids needs and asperations are different.
I dont think its fair to say that up brining has anything to do with your kids choosing to use drugs or not.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I have never tried to grow weed or brew alcohol, therefore i have no idea!

I didnt state that its totally to blame for the lack of motivation but it plays a huge part in it, i guess also it all depends on personal outlook and exprience really, the area where i work is totally different to the town next door which is a 5 minute drive away, and kids needs and asperations are different.
I dont think its fair to say that up brining has anything to do with your kids choosing to use drugs or not.

I would say that upbringing affects every decision we make.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Funnily enough, my departmental manager at IBM in Holland actually preferred smokers in his team as they were the ones most likely to turn up in the morning compared to drinkers. My motivation is still there. If I dont work, I cant afford to buy weed, so ive pretty much been constantly in work all my life, and rarely taking sick days, again, unlike drinkers are known to.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
From personal experience working with people with learning and behavioural difficulties my observations would be:

.....smoking cannabis deepens depression and exaggerates schizophrenia, potentially to dangerous and even catastrophic levels

.....smoking cannabis appears to be a major factor in causing parnoid reaction and causal to some forms of psychosis

.....smoking cannabis is undeniably a gateway to the use of othermore dangerous substances if only because of the marketplace that it introduces users to

I used to use keef in cooking - cakes etc and as a marinade for lamb :). I regularly used weed and resin. But the introduction of skunk worries me - it is so much stronger and exagerates the effects to a degree that makes it potentially much more dangerous than it ever was in my day. The real danger in my experience lies with those who are pre-disposed to depression/paranoia/phsychotic episodes etc and the massive increase in young people with diagnosed behavioural and learning issues in recent decades highlights the potential impact that stronger varieties of cannabis can have - it is not just a few people who are potentially vulnerable but rather a very significant minority. For a significant number of people it is NOT a "safe" drug by any means.

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
Taking a filter of the end of a cigarette, placing it in rizzla, and smoking through a cupboard roach. Will increase chances of cancer. Even without adding cannabis. So the report is crap. imo

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
From personal experience working with people with learning and behavioural difficulties my observations would be:

.....smoking cannabis deepens depression and exaggerates schizophrenia, potentially to dangerous and even catastrophic levels

.....smoking cannabis appears to be a major factor in causing parnoid reaction and causal to some forms of psychosis

.....smoking cannabis is undeniably a gateway to the use of othermore dangerous substances if only because of the marketplace that it introduces users to

Scientific research suggests that cannabis is an effective treatment for depression. I would also point out that the "gateway" drug idea is also not scientific. There may be a correlation, in that people who use hard drugs may smoke cannabis too. But you are suggesting causation, which is not supported by the evidence.

Some of your assertions are dealing with clinical diagnosis, and others would require the support of scientific data. The scientific data actually goes against what you are asserting, and as for your clinical diagnosis (which, granted, you have made in relation to your experience), I do feel compelled to ask you what your qualifications are?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The only problem I have with it is that it makes being bored seem OK when I you weren't smoking it you might do something different.

I only smoke at the end of the day when everything is done and probably wouldn't touch it at all if I was unemployed.

Last edited:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
compare.gif

Source: Dr. Jack E. Henningfield, Ph.D. for NIDA (National Institute on Drug Abuse).

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Oh I knew that from age ago. Thought it would be something else. certainly never ingested the equivalent of 40 bensons a day of cannabis, in fact if the risk is 20 times higher thats the equivalent of 2 full weed spliffs a day to give the same cancer potency

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I'm of the understanding that of all my friends, I am the only one who has never consumed (in any format) an illegal drug. I'm just not interested.
I know I'm in the minority but my friends respect the fact that I don't want to even try it. I don't judge them and they don't judge me...simples.
Don't smoke tobacco either..
I do drink, but rarely...though I can handle a lot of it when I fancy having a lot of it. Never had a hangover, which i put down to luck and genetics.

Ultimately it's each to their own and live and let live.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
"Cannabis is not a health problem, the problem is that it promotes social values and attitudes that are unwelcome in capitalist, market based societies. It is just that simple. A drug like coffee, with a horrendous health profile when compared to Cannabis, is completely welcomed into the market place and the home and the lifestyle of modern people. We value certain states of mind and we fear and suspect others."

- Terence McKenna

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Scientific research suggests that cannabis is an effective treatment for depression. I would also point out that the "gateway" drug idea is also not scientific. There may be a correlation, in that people who use hard drugs may smoke cannabis too. But you are suggesting causation, which is not supported by the evidence.

Some of your assertions are dealing with clinical diagnosis, and others would require the support of scientific data. The scientific data actually goes against what you are asserting, and as for your clinical diagnosis (which, granted, you have made in relation to your experience), I do feel compelled to ask you what your qualifications are?

I have no medical qualifications but I didn't suggest otherwise. I speak entirely from experienceas someone who taught for 30 years and then spent 10 years working with learning disabled young adults and I accept that for every report against there is another in favour.Indeed many years ago I encouraged my aunt, who I dearly loved, to smoke weed as an aid to dealing with the pain of osteo-arthritis, in line with commonly held belief then (and probably now). Recent research however completely opposes that seeming "reality" even though I would swear to my dying breath that it did help her cope. I would however challenge that there is any accepted research suggesting that cannabis is effective in treating depression - everything seems to point the other way and my real life experience over many years backs that up. My comments regarding the "gateway" aspect are very clear in suggesting that this is primarily in regard to the creation of a relationship with drug dealers, a relationship which might otherwise not exist and an exposure to other drugs (potentially) which would not otherwise happen.

This aside I believe that if cannabis were to be legalised then we could be much clearer about the risks its use holds - they are different but probably less in my view (with the exception perhaps of schizophrenics or those pre-disposed to schizophrenia) than the risks associated with alcohol use - a substance much easier to abuse.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here