Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cannabis.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
Ive smoked every day since Nov 1979...smoked before that but not daily..ive never taken any other substance other than booze.. I work in a technical position, and have done most of my working life.
On the basis that I smoke cigarettes anyway, the only damage I feel it is doing to me is damage to my lungs.
Ive never known anybody among my circle of friends who have gone on to take harder drugs. Ive lived in Holland, and life goes on as normal there with coffeeshops.
Im sure its not for everybody, the same as booze isnt for everybody, and I suspect its down to the individual rather than the 'drug'....
Most people can drink and not become alcoholics, and I look at grass the same way.
Luckily for me, im in one of the more liberal countries where grass is concerned, and you can
hold 15 grams here (10 more than Holland).
How you can legislate against a plant is beyond me anyway. I can understand legislation against organic products that are altered during the production, but legislating against an organic substance
on this earth is a bit daft.

Whilst I pretty much agree with everything you say, and indeed til this time last year also smoked every night since 1984, ( I still smoke weekends) I would make 2 observations.

This time last year I was rushed to hospital unable to breathe. Eventually they drained a litre and a half of blood from my lungs. Whilst they dont know what caused it, it easily have been just caused by stretching too hard, what I saw the week in hospital gave me pause for thought. I stayed on a lung ward with 3 sufferers of COPD. they were in their late 60's to 70's. They were in the late stages of the disease. they were essentially unable to move without oxygen, living in constant pain and without any real quality of life.

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The consultant that attended me pointed out that smoking Cannabis was unlikely to kill me any quicker than if i didn't. However there was a dramatically increased chance of COPD. This meant not dying, but living in agony for 20 plus years reliant on loved ones to look after you. It led to me stopping smoking although since Christmas I have slid back at weekends.

Secondly just after this I got a new job as a Full time Union Officer. This means I have to be constantly alert and thinking throughout the week. I noticed very quickly that not smoking made my normal thought process much sharper.

I do believe that cannabis should be decriminalised, for many of the reasons stated. I also know if I'd known in 1984 what i know now, I'd not have done anything different. I believe we all may our choices and live with the consequences. However I also think those choices should be as informed as possible, and if everyone who smoked weed spent a week on a lung ward before starting, I suspect a fair few would stop.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
Dave I have absolutely no inclination to effect your lifestyle choice, mine aint particularly perfect.

But on this point, I know not one Heroin addict that didn't start with fags, booze, marijuana before they became a hard drug user.

So any legislation, isnt for you ( you can continue to smoke every day nearly unhindered ) or me ( who like's a beer ) but for our children that softened legislation will, in my view increase usage and therefore likely to increase those that end up on the harder drugs.

This view is totally irrational. Every heroin user ate food before starting, they breathe air. Are you suggesting they are gateway drugs. Also it isn't true that they all use cannabis first. For some the first drug they tried was heroin.
The point about legislation is that it should only be used when the effect is beneficial, and there is no evidence of this.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
This view is totally irrational. Every heroin user ate food before starting, they breathe air. Are you suggesting they are gateway drugs. Also it isn't true that they all use cannabis first. For some the first drug they tried was heroin.
The point about legislation is that it should only be used when the effect is beneficial, and there is no evidence of this.

You cannot recognise the difference between the link between 'lesser' drug use that might then progress ?

As opposed to the food and the air they breathe .... Who were you saying is irrational ?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
I'm of the ultra liberal standpoint, in that I would legalise the whole lot: Cannabis, Smack, Crack the whole lot. Reason being is that controlled legalisation would guarantee the quality of the drugs (as in, it wouldn't be cut with brick dust and drain cleaner), the purchases can be monitored, so that everyone using it can be kept as safe as possible, and it can be taxed to absolute bastardry. People who want to use drugs will use them regardless of whether they're legal or not. I honestly believe the time has come to admit that the governments of the world have lost the war on drugs, and that it should be about proactive awareness rather than being reactive.

I think it's pretty obvious that if cigarettes and alcohol were discovered today there is no doubt in my mind that they would be illegal to.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm of the ultra liberal standpoint, in that I would legalise the whole lot: Cannabis, Smack, Crack the whole lot. Reason being is that controlled legalisation would guarantee the quality of the drugs (as in, it wouldn't be cut with brick dust and drain cleaner), the purchases can be monitored, so that everyone using it can be kept as safe as possible, and it can be taxed to absolute bastardry. People who want to use drugs will use them regardless of whether they're legal or not. I honestly believe the time has come to admit that the governments of the world have lost the war on drugs, and that it should be about proactive awareness rather than being reactive.

I think it's pretty obvious that if cigarettes and alcohol were discovered today there is no doubt in my mind that they would be illegal to.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I am not sure of the statistics but it is my guess that taking drugs out of the hands of the criminals and effectively licensing their production and sale would stop the turf wars, smuggling and much crime and provide legal job opportunities to many people. The tax proceeds could be used to educate and provide effective counselling and support for those that need it.

I remember reading somewhere that the cast majority of heroin overdoses were due to users not knowing the strength of a certian batch.

The only issue issue is the question of whether more people will use because they are legal. This i doubt because drugs are so readily available now. Also with funding for effective education and support i think people would be more equipped to make good choices and kick the habit.

Those people still smoking week sound like they need a new way to take cannabis to reduce the health risks. Hash cookies anyone?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here