Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can you keep up ?

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
INteresting - the reason being (and I can say this only because I am good friends with the guy who was Ancelotti's number 2 at Chelsea having been at University with him) - most premier league sides have an equivalent of ADkins in the infrastrucutre - ie the sport science, the metrics and mathematics of ensuring that each squad member is personally supervised from diet to training, to recovery programs.

The interesting issue for me will be purely from a tactical basis and when it comes to investing huge money - and I mean the sort of financial decisions on a playing front (picking potential players not negotiating their contracts) that will see how good ADkins is.

It's a whole new world for him and I'm not sure the idea of having Les Reed next to Adkins would fill me with the greatest belief. To be clear - I have no beef with Southampton - I am simply intrigued as to how Adkins will cope in the Premier League. Dealing with big players, Cortese's expectations and at the same time going head to head with Moyes, Wenger, Ferguson, O'Neill - exactly the same challenge Poyet would face should it have been Brighton in your position.

I could well be wrong and Adkins turns out to be a top manager. I would sincerely hope though if this were to be the case he manages it in a time frame somewhat quicker than 15-20 years

I'm not too worried, Adkins is there to manage the football team. As I understand he is the brains behind the football side of things. Wilkins and Crosby are the main men behind the training along with Martin Hunter. Les Reed and the talent identification team (scouts) identify the potential signings, not adkins however he will hav the final say, then cortese deals with fee's and contracts.

Adkins is there to manage the football team, and i'm fully confident in his ability to do that.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Cortese won't replace him. He's just signed a 5 year deal ffs. He is a quality manager, he knows the game and has a good sports science background, hence why we have the fittest team in the league. He's still learning and will only get better! Nigel Adkins will be one of the best managers in the country in 15-20 years.

Also Cortese will be negotiating player fee's and wages and Nigel will be supported by Les Reed and his talent identification team on new signings.

My mate was a guest at the Wham v Saints board room dinner. Said he saw NA and Roberto Di Mateo having a sly chat on the side. I'm with you though - Adkins is the real deal.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
This lot are just like that sad, needy ex girlfriend who you finally get away from but she keeps coming back , begging for attention despite telling anybody who'll listen that 'she's over you and was never really into you'.

Very soon she'll have a new attraction and she'll engineer bumping into us just to show him off.

Ha ha, this. Can see it now with Saints in the Prem and we get them in the cup, NSC will again be infiltrated by this lot!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
the only reason why Stains are on here is because Pompey are going bust and so their main rivals will either be us or Bournemouth...trouble is, none of us really give a flying f*ck about them so like the naughty kid in the classroom who doesn't get any attention, they roll around on the messageboards screaming and saying "look at me, I'm a cock"

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
When Les Reed was Technical Director at the FA he ran training sessions where the midfield wore yellow bibs. When a team came under pressure (losing mainly) he would advocate 'when chasing the prize you've got to get over the daffodils' which basically meant hitting the ball long over yours (and your opponents) midfield.

Now can we see how Rickie Lambert sits so comfortably with the style of player that 'talent spotter' Les Reed could identify?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm still chuckling that the OP only had the front to post this once Southampton got over their shit form. If we beat Donny and they lose at Leeds, we won't be hearing a peep out of them for a while again.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Southampton have got themselves a good striker
Two good strikers now.
They were dire against us, twice. Absolutely dire.
What? They were miles better than us at St Mary's. Sure the ref made the worst decisions ever, but they'd have won regardless. And it was fairly even at the Amex until Lambert got sent off.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Real twat more like😚

Seems we're not the only fans thinking this....cracking post from waccoe...

Always thought he seemed like a middle-manager from maybe Human Resources or Logistics Outsourcing or somesuch who'd fallen into a dug-out.

Bit of a shiny-eyed believer, something of the creepy evangelist about him, plus, as Arturo G noted above, stinking buzz-words explode from him like he swallowed a management textbook with a leg of infected chicken. He's all about the going forward, the staying focused, the taking the positives and keeping a good energy about the group. If you had the misfortune to sit in a meeting with him and be obliged to take notes, I suspect he would talk non-stop for half an hour and, on reviewing your notes, you'd notice he'd actually said the square root of f*** all.

Kind of bloke with a cheeky squib of gel in his greying hair, the constant whiff of slightly too much scent and the womanly hips of a gone-to-seed rugby player.

Decent record as a manager, no argument, but I bet the skeletons in his closet would scare the living shit out of you.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
He might be able to motivate and impress the likes of hammond, harding and fat rickie with his lame cliches but I'd like to see how far that would get him with players that have something more about them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here