Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can you keep up ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Does anyone really give a toss about Southampton. I only really care about the place when picking up a ship and laura got a first down there at the uni, otherwise it's just another port like Liverpool or Bristol.

They are a good side, who will be promoted...so what? Good for them

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
If you say so, you watch more of them than I do. But I have seen a few games, against us twice a few on TV and highlights. To me it seems deep cross to Lambert on the back post is the most used tactic. Look at your highlights on Football league show, all but one chance they showed started with a deep cross to the back post.

if you don't agree, we'll just agree to disagree. See you in the Playoff Final.

If that were to happen and you were to somehow beat us in the final, that would be the worse example of the injustice of the play off system, probably a worse example than Huddersfield not going up last year.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If that were to happen and you were to somehow beat us in the final, that would be the worse example of the injustice of the play off system, probably a worse example than Huddersfield not going up last year.
True. But it would also be f***ing EXCELLENT. :cheers:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

A bit early to call that, Ben. Unlikely, but we could still finish above you, in the play off places. Would it still be an injustice then, if we beat you?

Anyway -bollocks to the injustice argument. The rules are clear at the start of the season. Nothing 'unjust' about it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If we finish 6th and you finish 3rd and we beat you it will be lovely. And just. Because we are the good guys.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
This lot are just like that sad, needy ex girlfriend who you finally get away from but she keeps coming back , begging for attention despite telling anybody who'll listen that 'she's over you and was never really into you'.

Very soon she'll have a new attraction and she'll engineer bumping into us just to show him off.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
I hope we get Stains in the semi-final and deny them a trip to Wembley 😄
Perfect end to the season.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
I want them to go up. I want to see the smug little physio pit his wits against the managers in the premiership. His marvellous quote on Talksport in the summer about how he felt he was another of the talented proven English managers who are always overlooked by the media always makes me chuckle.

I have no beef with Southampton and no real opinion on what they can or cant achieve. The whole issue that this board suffers from is fundamentally down to that speccy little berk with his annoying, tedious cliches and over-egged belief that he is the next up and coming English manager.

He might be. I personally believe it will be huge test for him with money to spend, the players he will target as being Premiership quality and the tactics he uses to face up to Sunderland, Everton, Fulham and the other mid-table bankers in the Premier League.

That's why I am quite happy for them to go up. I am intrigued as to what he will do. It's all very well the Southampton fans squawking from the rafters that they have money to spend and Premier league infrastructure. They do. Big club, big ground and tremendous fan base.

It would be a dark humourous chuckle from me though to watch that silly little twit spunk tens of millions on poor players, massive salaries and then the board to eject him uncermoniously as they realise that he is in fact a League One / Championship manager who cant handle the pressure of big decisions.

Sure he did well at Scunthorpe but when they go up (and I think they will) it will be a different world. It would be tough for Gus but I feel he knows what he wants and we have a chairman that will keep a close eye on budgets and wage structure.

Southampton - please get up and let's see what the smug little twunt makes of playing with the big boys.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
I want them to go up. I want to see the smug little physio pit his wits against the managers in the premiership. His marvellous quote on Talksport in the summer about how he felt he was another of the talented proven English managers who are always overlooked by the media always makes me chuckle.

I have no beef with Southampton and no real opinion on what they can or cant achieve. The whole issue that this board suffers from is fundamentally down to that speccy little berk with his annoying, tedious cliches and over-egged belief that he is the next up and coming English manager.

He might be. I personally believe it will be huge test for him with money to spend, the players he will target as being Premiership quality and the tactics he uses to face up to Sunderland, Everton, Fulham and the other mid-table bankers in the Premier League.

That's why I am quite happy for them to go up. I am intrigued as to what he will do. It's all very well the Southampton fans squawking from the rafters that they have money to spend and Premier league infrastructure. They do. Big club, big ground and tremendous fan base.

It would be a dark humourous chuckle from me though to watch that silly little twit spunk tens of millions on poor players, massive salaries and then the board to eject him uncermoniously as they realise that he is in fact a League One / Championship manager who cant handle the pressure of big decisions.

Sure he did well at Scunthorpe but when they go up (and I think they will) it will be a different world. It would be tough for Gus but I feel he knows what he wants and we have a chairman that will keep a close eye on budgets and wage structure.

Southampton - please get up and let's see what the smug little twunt makes of playing with the big boys.

Personally I think that our chairman will replace him once were up. Hope he doesnt though.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Cortese won't replace him. He's just signed a 5 year deal ffs. He is a quality manager, he knows the game and has a good sports science background, hence why we have the fittest team in the league. He's still learning and will only get better! Nigel Adkins will be one of the best managers in the country in 15-20 years.

Also Cortese will be negotiating player fee's and wages and Nigel will be supported by Les Reed and his talent identification team on new signings.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Is that the Les Reed of Charlton fame?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Cortese won't replace him. He's just signed a 5 year deal ffs. He is a quality manager, he knows the game and has a good sports science background, hence why we have the fittest team in the league. He's still learning and will only get better! Nigel Adkins will be one of the best managers in the country in 15-20 years.

Also Cortese will be negotiating player fee's and wages and Nigel will be supported by Les Reed and his talent identification team on new signings.

...and we care because?

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells

INteresting - the reason being (and I can say this only because I am good friends with the guy who was Ancelotti's number 2 at Chelsea having been at University with him) - most premier league sides have an equivalent of ADkins in the infrastrucutre - ie the sport science, the metrics and mathematics of ensuring that each squad member is personally supervised from diet to training, to recovery programs.

The interesting issue for me will be purely from a tactical basis and when it comes to investing huge money - and I mean the sort of financial decisions on a playing front (picking potential players not negotiating their contracts) that will see how good ADkins is.

It's a whole new world for him and I'm not sure the idea of having Les Reed next to Adkins would fill me with the greatest belief. To be clear - I have no beef with Southampton - I am simply intrigued as to how Adkins will cope in the Premier League. Dealing with big players, Cortese's expectations and at the same time going head to head with Moyes, Wenger, Ferguson, O'Neill - exactly the same challenge Poyet would face should it have been Brighton in your position.

I could well be wrong and Adkins turns out to be a top manager. I would sincerely hope though if this were to be the case he manages it in a time frame somewhat quicker than 15-20 years

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
If West Ham weren't so jerkyl and hyde. They would of been running away with this league. If you take your pieman out of your team, then you wouldn't even be top of the league now f*** off!

NOt sure I would subcribe to that insightful and articulate position as you could argue that without any sides top scorer they would not be in the position they are. By the way who is Jerkyl? Sounds like a nasty snack.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If West Ham weren't so jerkyl and hyde. They would of been running away with this league. If you take your pieman out of your team, then you wouldn't even be top of the league now f*** off!

:lolol: Bit strong, mr Fawlty.

Southampton have got themselves a good striker, and a good creative midfielder to supply him. Cut either of them off, and boom, they struggle. That said, I'm still wondering how they lost to Bristol City twice. They were dire against us, twice. Absolutely dire. Can't blame them though, especially not at the Amex. A few teams have struggled with our football there. Southampton weren't too clever there, as I recall.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove

Comedy Gold!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He is a quality manager, he knows the game and has a good sports science background, hence why we have the fittest team in the league. .

Can you please post the link to the evidence for this?

Thanks

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Can you please post the link to the evidence for this?

Thanks

not sure why you need evidence. Adkins was a physio. He knows about that sort of stuff. And Les Reed is also a massive fan of fit players. Put those two together and you surely can see why the statement made is true?

And also - dont forget that most other Championship sides don't have someone of Adkins' background - that's why they pulled off a masterstroke in signing him - he was physio before and that has proved a massive advantage playing in this league where many sides only train three times a week after work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here