Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can you hear the real fans sing?

bn3gunner

Feb 12, 2007
As a gooner since 1988 i dont think you realise how lucky you are, i was amazed how good falmer was and i envy the atmosphere/vibe around brighton, as nice and big as the emirates is i was more shocked with falmer,loads of old faces, everyone in the pubs having a laugh , people from all over sussex old and young all getting on,but it seems like alot of people on here dont want this big change-how many chairman get on the train or go to the pub with their own fans and still dont make fools of themselves,

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Yeah I support the team, thing is I like to stand up all game. We were arguing with the steward for around 20 minutes at the start. Meaning the atmosphere in the crowd was more focused on the problem with the steward than the actual football itself.

Why were you arguing with a steward for 20 mins ? They are only doing what they are told to do, quite honestly I find most of the stewards in the north stand very inoffensive and a lot better than those at withdean.
I'm guessing you are not sat in the back four rows of the north stand, as to be fair, that was the only part of the ground that standing would be tolerated, and true to their words the stewards never once asked us to sit down.

thealbionfan

Oct 6, 2003
Having seen so many posts about JCL's I feel I have to speak out as one of the frustrated unworthy. I will, along with many in the NS, always sing my heart out for the team, even if its a P****e song.
Today the atmosphere was the worst I have experienced at the Amex. Try as we might not many would join in and I couldn't hear the 8000 "real" (ex-Withdean) supporters getting behind the team, in fact IMO the support today was crap.
So why was no one joining in the chants?
Even the N Stand W Stand didn't take off.:down:

It's my fault, sorry. The first Amex match I have not been able to make this season. I am happy to take responsibility.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Hmmm, what constitutes a real fan then ? What criteria do you have to meet ? Is an ability to make a lot of noise a prime qualification ?

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
I think the atmosphere was a bit flat today.The stewards in the north stand were constantly telling people to sit down.Yes i know they are doing their job, and yes we are surposed to be seated but i do think it had an effect on some fans.I prefer to stand when i'm singing which i think most people do.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
the Atmosphere was very flat in the WSU, there were a few of us trying to get some songs started, but looking around me last night there were loads of new faces.

I heard one bloke ask the guy next to him "is that your top scorer?" and pointed to Ashley Barnes, of which i replied, "i see you're a die hard fan!!!"

There was also a lot of nervous energy in the stadium last night, people are worried about the last 3 results and we have to get a win under our belts soon to quash that. We also need to understand that we are not a top championship team, Yes we won league 1 at a canter last year, but we are not good enough in the championship. This is something we have to live with, and i Honestly believe we will finish up mid table come the end of the campaign, i for one will be delighted.

And if Southampton go up to the Premiership this season, then good luck to them. We need to concentrate on out own plight, not worry about the likes of Palace / Southampton. As for the Plymouth thing, we have done as much as we can, and i honestly believe that there are not enough of them that care for their club, and if they are not careful it will fold.

I went down last week, and they wouldn't sing, they wouldn't get behind their team (and it is a very poor team), but i even had one person say "why are you here, your not wanted". I know that was not the majority feeling from the Plymouth fans, but if that is how 1 is feeling then how many others? We cannot do anymore to raise their profile, it is now down to them.

Slinky will now step down from his soap box and pass it to the next fan who wants to use it......

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Typical NSC overreaction. Simple case of nervous game following run of bad results not a lot of chances or sustained pressure to get crowd going = flat atmosphere.

thealbionfan

Oct 6, 2003
Having seen so many posts about JCL's I feel I have to speak out as one of the frustrated unworthy. I will, along with many in the NS, always sing my heart out for the team, even if its a P****e song.
Today the atmosphere was the worst I have experienced at the Amex. Try as we might not many would join in and I couldn't hear the 8000 "real" (ex-Withdean) supporters getting behind the team, in fact IMO the support today was crap.
So why was no one joining in the chants?
Even the N Stand W Stand didn't take off.:down:

It's my fault, sorry. The first Amex match I have not been able to make this season. I am happy to take responsibility.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Just about sums up the issue. People rubbishing others for having a go. I wouldn'tbe surprised if the NSK just gave up. Then people would complain about that!!! .
tip

Other than one song i didnt realise they had started.

There is some right old crap being spouted on here. Not one club in England had an amazing atmosphere at home EVERY game. It wasnt the best yesterday but wasnt terrible by any stretch.

And to the numpty that reffered to Palace. They certainly dont have an amazing atmosphere at home all the time rattlibg around in their half full shithole. Please dont compare their away support in the last 10mins in their cup final to us as a yardstick as the norm for them.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I heard one bloke ask the guy next to him "is that your top scorer?" and pointed to Ashley Barnes, of which i replied, "i see you're a die hard .....

Im sorry but you're comment sums up for me what us wrong with loads of supporters. So what if he didnt know who Ashley Barnes is. Maybe he was coming for his first game, maybe he doesnt even support Brighton and was visiting with a friend. Why ridicule somebody for asking a question. With a 20k stadium to fill we will get occasional non "die hard" spectators, just like at every big ground in the world. Youre attitude absolutely reeks of small time.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
It didn't help that the linesman down the West was a complete and utter cock, why on earth he didn't have a Hull shirt on, Christ alone knows. People were very nervous last night and rightly so given our recent run and City's away record, and he didn't help with his bullshit decisions. But from where I sit, it was louder than some people on here are saying and I too heard a couple of Hull fans talking and they were praising both the stadium and our fans. So its not all bad.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I thought the atmosphere was ok generally, but the West Stand was a bit quieter than usual. Ironically, it was the East Stand (or parts of it) that chipped in.

One thing though - who are the people sitting in blocks F, G and H of the East Stand? Genuinely, who are they? Club staff, visiting VIPs? When the East Stand were trying to get the odd chant going, not one person in those blocks joined in. Even the family stand gave it a go.

Richard Reynold's Haircut

grammatically poor
Oct 3, 2011
Peacehaven
didn't hear them doing that today so why weren't you singing?

Who says I wasn't?

If you're going to get the whole ground buzzing with more than a handful of songs, they need to get used to the fact that chants will only catch on these days if they are simple, and directed to the team/players.

Instead of moaning about "Al-bi-on", they should do their best to come up with something decent, rather than shoe-horning woeful vaguely Brighton related lyrics into crap songs from foreign grounds that sound totally out of place at English football. Unless they can come up with some stuff that fits the bill then you better get used to games like last night. An alright atmosphere, but not as loud as it can be as there wasn't quite enough to get excited about on the pitch.

If having an opinion that the Ultra's are pointless makes me a prick who needs a life, then so be it.

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
I don't think the acoustics help in getting everyone going. Obvious chants like (north/west/east stand etc) get people going, but certainly down in the south end of the east most of the chants from the north cant really be heard. Can you hear what the north are singing from anywhere else?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Definitely think it's an over reaction. The atmosphere was ok at times in the first half and much better in the second. Wasn't fantastic, but we're not going to have fantastic atmospheres every game. If that was at Withdean it would have been silent, and as others have said the Hull fans thought it was great.

Everyone needs to lighten up a bit and not over analyse every little thing

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Personally I think as a fans collective we are too critical of ourselves. I didn't think the atmosphere was that bad yesterday, certainly in a different stratosphere to Withdean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here